Swing Thought: Stepping on the Gas

Acuna

Reaction score
Handicap
long irons
"Stepping on the gas"

I've been working on this with my swing coach. He talks about using power and not speed to get the ball really popping off the club face. Following his advice, when I gradually accelerate and drive the swing with my left side (I am left handed) I get some really solid and LONG ball flights. If I go too fast, I start to use my arms too much and "spin out" (resulting in a wicked slice/shank). I've really been thinking about this a lot the last few days and working it into the rebuilding of my swing, and of course it has been raining cats and dogs so the range is closed and I can't get out to test and refine it. The practice swings I have taken in the yard have felt very powerful compared to my normal swing (even with this power added I am still not swing hard, if that makes sense) and the divots have been great- not too deep and very clean rectangles. The best way to describe my "normal" (old) swing is just a turn and a turn, with me applying no great effort to the swing, and by way of example my 7i goes about 145ish carry with about 10 yards of roll when I do that. Hoping to get longer without too much fade.

Any thoughts on developing and maintaining a measured, but extremely powerful swing tempo? Do any of you consider yourself to have this type of swing?

Hi. Just wanted to clarify one thing first. Is your swing coach tell you to create power, and start your turn from the left side, yet, you play left handed?

"Stepping on the gas"

I've been working on this with my swing coach. He talks about using power and not speed to get the ball really popping off the club face. Following his advice, when I gradually accelerate and drive the swing with my left side (I am left handed) I get some really solid and LONG ball flights. If I go too fast, I start to use my arms too much and "spin out" (resulting in a wicked slice/shank). I've really been thinking about this a lot the last few days and working it into the rebuilding of my swing, and of course it has been raining cats and dogs so the range is closed and I can't get out to test and refine it. The practice swings I have taken in the yard have felt very powerful compared to my normal swing (even with this power added I am still not swing hard, if that makes sense) and the divots have been great- not too deep and very clean rectangles. The best way to describe my "normal" (old) swing is just a turn and a turn, with me applying no great effort to the swing, and by way of example my 7i goes about 145ish carry with about 10 yards of roll when I do that. Hoping to get longer without too much fade.

Any thoughts on developing and maintaining a measured, but extremely powerful swing tempo? Do any of you consider yourself to have this type of swing?

Please don't take this the wrong way, I mean it with all due respect, but if you are a 34 handicap as your profile mentions, I would worry less about an extremely powerful swing and focus more on swing mechanics and short game. Power comes through a solid base foundation and repeatable core centered golf swing. Speed is a difficult items to teach in my experience, some people can literally only move so fast without working on strength and conditioning. You can only do what your body will allow you to do.

I hope that I'm not making an enemy, I would love to answer any questions you may have.

Back