Volvik Crystal balls

JoeyJoeJo

Reaction score
Read some ok things about these so thought I'd give them a try.

Very unusual finish on them (and not just the colours), the outer coating is clear, not seen anything like it before, looking forward to trying them, hopefully at the weekend.

Anyone used them recently?

volvik2.jpg

volvik3.jpg

Saw them at PGA SS last night for $48 a dozen. I will pass.

This one is their 3 piece distance ball, right? If so, yes, I played 9 with them last weekend. I thought they were okay. I did not notice that cover effect, I don't think it is as apparent with the yellow balls. My favorite thing was the unique - and better - alignment arrow.

Saw them at PGA SS last night for $48 a dozen. I will pass.

You may be confusing the Crystal (distance ball) with the iV (their premium ball), the Crystals should be abotu $30.

From the website:

The Genuine Volvik Crystal golf ball is a two-piece low compression golf ball that provides ultra soft feel and maximum distance on every shot.
The crystal ionomer cover, which the genuine crystal is known for, helps to provide soft feel around the greens.
Available in 9 colors you're sure to find a ball that suits your eye.

These were just £10 for 20 pearl grade so happy to give them a go

That was the USA site that had a banner saying three piece, text two piece.

This from the parent site:

• The Volvik Crystal is a premium level 3-piece golf ball designed for advanced golfers with slower to medium swing speeds looking for a soft feel with more explosiveness
• Soft impact and feel and longer flight distance is achieved by World's First Patented Dual Core: a soft outer layer and a hard inner core
• Volvik Crystal elevates short game control with a soft feel and low compression control core
• Enhanced visibility provided by the brightest colors in golf
• 3-piece Tour Performance - Explosive distance and more accurate approach by Power Core, Bismuth Control layer and Zirconium Z-I
Outer Cover
• Excellent putting feel and optimal spin rates made possible by more durable/softer Surlyn Crystalline cover
• Improved flight stability designed 350-Octahedron dimple pattern
• 80 Compression, 64 Cover Hardness
• Optimal for 60-95 MPH Swing Speed

the ball pictured above is their older 2pc version.
The 3pc version mentioned in JoeyJoeJo' post looks like this.
http://s3.golfballs.com/12/Volvik-Crystal-Golf-Balls_GRN_550.jpeg
They have a green (think Srixon yellow with a little more green tint to it), a yellow which reminds me of the yellow used on the Srixon Soft Feel. Orange which is brighter than any other ball I've seen and Pink..havent seen in person but it looks very bright as well.

I tried them and to be honest I was underwhelmed for the price ($29.99 shipped).
The most clicky feel off the putter I've ever tried.
I was playing last week and on the last hole, 115 yds in with a wedge (green sloped back to front and was pretty soggy), the ball made a nice impression however ended up probably 12' from the mark. I was bummed as my mark was within 2' of the hole.
In a head to head test distance wise with a 2013 Q Star the Crystal was dead even. So they are long off the driver and felt like it had low spin, but around the green and on approaches it was pretty much your ordinary low spin Surlyn ball.

The cover reminds me of the Noddle Ice. The red ones are hard to see in flight and on the ground. The color is so muted they seem to disappear in the fairway.

the ball pictured above is their older 2pc version.
The 3pc version mentioned in JoeyJoeJo' post looks like this.
http://s3.golfballs.com/12/Volvik-Crystal-Golf-Balls_GRN_550.jpeg
They have a green (think Srixon yellow with a little more green tint to it), a yellow which reminds me of the yellow used on the Srixon Soft Feel. Orange which is brighter than any other ball I've seen and Pink..havent seen in person but it looks very bright as well.

I tried them and to be honest I was underwhelmed for the price ($29.99 shipped).
The most clicky feel off the putter I've ever tried.
I was playing last week and on the last hole, 115 yds in with a wedge (green sloped back to front and was pretty soggy), the ball made a nice impression however ended up probably 12' from the mark. I was bummed as my mark was within 2' of the hole.

In a head to head test distance wise with a 2013 Q Star the Crystal was dead even. So they are long off the driver and felt like it had low spin, but around the green and on approaches it was pretty much your ordinary low spin Surlyn ball.
I had varying degrees of this experience too.

$48 a doz on sale for any golf ball is too much. I've played with one I found and it was about the same as a DT Solo. Don't know if it was just me, but these aren't on my radar at all.

Looks like something I'd pick up from the weeds and throw to my buddy to use as a water ball lol

Not looking for miracles at the price (and doesn't sound like I'll get any lol!) but we're on to winter greens shortly so pretty hit or miss around the green anyway.

Let's see how much stick I get for pink driver and pink balls...!

They look like the noodle ice

Tapping from my IPhone

Just my personal opinion but if you're looking for a really good performing lower compression ball the Srixon Q-Star is less expensive, yellow (if you're looking for color) and has a pretty good short game feel.

And BTW, yes those $48 Volviks are their IV model, which is supposed to be a Tour level ball (and you're right still too expensive)

I use WS DX2 day to day and can't see that changing any time soon but at 50p a ball, these are getting a trial but with no expectations of stellar performance but just a bit of novelty with the colour and finish for the winter.

Back