Matrix MFS Hybrid Shaft Review

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Fantastic breakdown James. Acing played the White Tie driver and hybrid shaft and Black Tie in my woods, there is a definite difference between these shafts.

It should also be added, that Matrix can put customers finishes on these shafts for a small up charge.

Although I’m pretty uneducated when it comes to shafts, I find your writing easy to read and easy to understand Jman, great article. I’ve never swung a club with a Matrix in it but having a low, mid, and high launch option from one brand seems like a great idea, they look great too.

Love the breakdown James. That white tie is making my eyebrows raise a bit, but I might be more apt to play the red based off my swing.

Thanks Buddy, reviews like this help me to understand the dynamic of shaft selections. I like the color layering approach to help keep things straight in my mind. I also understand why my son said he liked the White Tie in a driver he hit a week or so ago. Is this a pretty typical price point for a decent shaft? I appreciate the info buddy, great write up!

Great review, I'm definitely going to give these a look, especially since the red tie is the stock option in the new Adams xtd. But my question for you is how would you compare them to the older Altus hybrid shaft?

Love the breakdown James. That white tie is making my eyebrows raise a bit, but I might be more apt to play the red based off my swing.

The hybrid white tie feels pretty darn good. Although it is a "high" launch, it isn't that high.

Outstanding break down of this shaft series Jman. Matrix has made it simple with the MFS but seeing the further breakdown by you really lets me see what these are intended to do.

Holy grail white sounds awfully darn good. Looks like one can be had without absolutely breaking the bank also.

James brings it again. Well done man. Matrix has done a great job with the tie series giving each club and each player plenty of good options!

Outstanding break down of this shaft series Jman. Matrix has made it simple with the MFS but seeing the further breakdown by you really lets me see what these are intended to do.

Holy grail white sounds awfully darn good. Looks like one can be had without absolutely breaking the bank also.

The Holy Grail White is stock in the Adams DHY. For whatever that's worth.

The Holy Grail White is stock in the Adams DHY. For whatever that's worth.

Definite worthy info and a fantastic nod for the DHY it appears.

I really need to settle down and find that shaft which works for me instead of just going from head to head playing the stock shaft.

Matrix MFS sounds like a fantastic place to start.

Great review James. I too am bit of a aftermarket shaft noob, but you explain some of the differences between them perfectly.

Nice break down James! Pondering the white tie offering now!

I loved the review. Learned a few things, and you know I love that. What I really took away from this is that the Red Tie is a must-try for me.

I'm with Hawk about the red tie. I really need to get my hands on one and see what I can produce with it. Loved everything you did with the review. Liked seeing that you were able to test all three at the same time for comparison. As always, Fantastic job Jman.

I'm with Hawk about the red tie. I really need to get my hands on one and see what I can produce with it. Loved everything you did with the review. Liked seeing that you were able to test all three at the same time for comparison. As always, Fantastic job Jman.

Jman and I have talked a lot about that shaft. What I think is interesting is that it's probably the most likely to fit the larger chunk of players, yet doesn't have the sexy appeal of the White/Black, so it doesn't get pondered/talked about very often. Funny how that works.

Awesome review Jman. Really informative and insightful. Excellent work!

Great review James, they extensive breakdown of the MFS really makes it easy to determine which shaft will deliver the desired results.

Jman and I have talked a lot about that shaft. What I think is interesting is that it's probably the most likely to fit the larger chunk of players, yet doesn't have the sexy appeal of the White/Black, so it doesn't get pondered/talked about very often. Funny how that works.

Exactly!

The black-tie seems to have this "bad-ass" stigma attached thanks to the low-mid/low characteristics on it if you play it while the white-tie with its high/low moniker is the "sexy" pick. All the while the mid/mid profile of the red-tie was literally designed to fit the largest amount of golfers in the bell curve. I don't know if it gets overlooked because it doesn't have that matte finish or because it is a "middle" shaft and not one of the extremes? But it definitely is overlooked by many IMO.

I am a middle of the road type of player, I think. I believe the red would be perfect for my type of game. Would love to get my hands on one and give it a try.
Exactly!

The black-tie seems to have this "bad-ass" stigma attached thanks to the low-mid/low characteristics on it if you play it while the white-tie with its high/low moniker is the "sexy" pick. All the while the mid/mid profile of the red-tie was literally designed to fit the largest amount of golfers in the bell curve. I don't know if it gets overlooked because it doesn't have that matte finish or because it is a "middle" shaft and not one of the extremes? But it definitely is overlooked by many IMO.

Exactly!

Honestly, I believe a lot of amateur golfers deal with extremes when it comes to ball flight. They want a lot or hardly any. I want to lower my ball flight, so I look at low launch. I balloon shots so I want low spin. I hit worm burners, so I look at high launch. I don't get a lot of roll out, so I want low spin.

I say this from experience. You know that because I picked your brain for months. I would venture to agree that the Red Tie would fit more golfers than either the black or the white ties. But we want more or less, not medium.

Honestly, I believe a lot of amateur golfers deal with extremes when it comes to ball flight. They want a lot or hardly any. I want to lower my ball flight, so I look at low launch. I balloon shots so I want low spin. I hit worm burners, so I look at high launch. I don't get a lot of roll out, so I want low spin.

I say this from experience. You know that because I picked your brain for months. I would venture to agree that the Red Tie would fit more golfers than either the black or the white ties. But we want more or less, not medium.

However, "medium" CAN be more or less.

Bottom line IMO is it doesn't have the "mystical allure" of the other two for some reason.

I do have a sneaking suspicion that will change for many this coming year though.

Back