Unlimited Range Balls

I thk that price is high but if you go twice a week it's worth it. Also it May force you to get out and practice more. If you a have the time and drive to practice that much, I say go for it.

I love ParTee, I'm going to miss Dan, but I think Tom is going to rejuvenate that driving range which has a TON of potential; my favorite place in Columbia to hit a bucket
Hey Guz.Man, -- yeah I'm talking about ParTee. Agree about Dan leaving and also Tom seems like a really nice guy.

Thanks everybody for all for the input. It's a tough call. The range at my course (Charwood) is 250y to the back and people hit drivers there no problem you just might put one in the woods. But the difference is mostly in the condition of the grass and the balls. ParTee is the best range in town by far, AND it is super close to my house plus has lights for night use. It is closer than any golf course to me and easy to get to after work. If they put in a chipping/putting area and maybe a bunker that would be fantastic.

I know I could use it twice a week easy... I think I might get it and drop the range plan at Charwood.

Super close plus its lighted makes it a no brainer. Night time practice is money during the summer.

I am paying 10$ a bucket... I will have to look into a similar deal.

That's too rich for my blood.
While I do like to hit range balls to work on my swing, I don't think that plan would be the best bang for my bucks.

My local driving range is under new management. It's a nice layout I think, always good quality balls, excellent grass to hit from, nice and big, etc. The new owner is changing things up by adding a full golf shop, a putting/chipping green, etc. I'm looking forward to that.

Normally the small bucket is $6, the medium $8, large $10, and a crate for $20. I have spent a bunch of money over the years.

Anyway, he is going to offer a yearly plan for $650 for unlimited balls. I think I'm going to go for it. Does it sound like something you would consider?

The upside is that I would practice a lot and get my money out of it. The downside is that I am a member of a course with a small driving range and for $10 a month I get range balls there. But it's not as good, the range is shorter, the grass is poorer and sometimes you must use mats, the balls are not as good, etc.

Help me decide please

That is an insanely high price as any course around me that offers that charges 150 to 250 tops for unlimited range use! 650 is a membership at a decent public course for weekdays or whatever you hunt down!

Last edited:
I think the question is how much do you value a short game area?

Only you know if it's the right decision for you. Where I'm from, that is an insanely high price for a range membership, but we only play golf seven months of the year. I belong to a semi-private course and the range fee is $350, which includes five rounds during the week. In your area, that may be the going price for a range membership, so be careful listening to guys from Michigan, Arizona, California, etc.

My membership at one of my local courses here in includes unlimited range time. It was $450 for golf and for range time for the season. I think that was very reasonable. Obviously prices are gonna vary, but say you go to the range 3x a week and get a large bucket at $20. It'll take you at least 10 weeks to break even. So if your gonna be at the range on more than 3x a week, it would be a good deal. That's a lot of range time though!

$650 does sound a little high to me, but I guess it also depends on the conditions of the range and the balls. If the grass and balls stay in very good shape consistently, it would be worth some extra value. Not sure if it would be worth >$50/month, though.

Out of curiosity, where is the range in Columbia?

I pay $135.00 per year at our new course and it covers both myself & KellyBo. It seemed a bit high since the course I moved from was free :D. KB worked at our last course and we had some great perks to include free golf, range, etc.

$650 a month is pretty high in my opinion...just under $60 a month....you would need to hit at least 6 large buckets every month just to break even, for most people thats alot. There is a 9 hour par 3 course near me that offers unlimited range balls and unlimited use of the course for $600 a year.

I think I would pay the $10 a month at your club and you can still go and hit a couple of large buckets a month at the driving range and come out ahead

Our courses charge $250 and $300 for yearly range memberships which I think is high.. A basket is $3. $650 is a joke IMHO:drinks:

The unlimited range plan at my club is $20/mo or $240/year. $640 seems quite high to me.

I agree that it's really high. My course's unlimited-use-of-the-range card was $299 last year.

I posed a similar question in the pondering thread a few days ago. The range near my house is charging $400 for unlimited balls for the year, they have grass (open in the summer only) and mats as well as a chipping, putting, and sand trap area. The range in lighted in the summer and open decently late, but in the winter is only open on weekends, during daylight hours, and when there is no snow on the ground.

My course has a practice hole with a sand trap and a "range" which is nothing more than an open field with about 200yds and no targets, and they do not have range balls.

My question is whether it is worth $400 for 8(ish) months of solid use, which breaks down to about 7 large buckets a month during those months. $650 to me seems high, but you are in a warmer climate and can use the range year round. On the plus side, your practice would become a fixed expense and would be worth it if you utilize the facilities past the break even point. On the downside, you have to fork out $650 and might not get to the range and spend that amount in usage.

Down here in the DFW area, $40-$50 a month is about the price for unlimited range balls and usually a good discount at that public course for daily fees. So your looking at $550-$600 a year for that.

Do they lock you in for a year or can you go month to month and then cancel during the winter time?

seems kinda high, $60 a month is about half of a monthly cost that would get you a membership that includes range balls at a few places around here

I agree that it's really high. My course's unlimited-use-of-the-range card was $299 last year.

I found one near my home where it's 25 per month which are includes twilight green discount at $5 (9 hole) and other perks.

Another thing to check out is the quality of the range balls. I have gone to some ranges, paid $10 a bucket only to find out all the balls look to be about 10 years old and have no business being hit. Also ask how often they replace and upgrade their range balls.

My local driving range is under new management. It's a nice layout I think, always good quality balls, excellent grass to hit from, nice and big, etc. The new owner is changing things up by adding a full golf shop, a putting/chipping green, etc. I'm looking forward to that.

Normally the small bucket is $6, the medium $8, large $10, and a crate for $20. I have spent a bunch of money over the years.

Anyway, he is going to offer a yearly plan for $650 for unlimited balls. I think I'm going to go for it. Does it sound like something you would consider?

The upside is that I would practice a lot and get my money out of it. The downside is that I am a member of a course with a small driving range and for $10 a month I get range balls there. But it's not as good, the range is shorter, the grass is poorer and sometimes you must use mats, the balls are not as good, etc.

Help me decide please

Personally no, I pay about that much for my home course for unlimited rounds, and the closest range (which is 20 miles closer than my course) has about 3 USD for a bucket of 56 balls, and during work days 9-12 AM 10 USD for unlimited amount of balls.

But, as some already here made the math...how much are you really going to hit those range balls? 650 is a lot of money...

Just going to have to keep thinking it over. One thing, it isn't an add-on fee for use of the range when you are already a member of a club. It's a stand along facility. So I could see the unlimited balls being less at a course when you are already paying dues.

I figure that I'm already going if I average it out, 6-8 times a month (@ $8 a bucket =~ same per month) -- out there more sometimes in the summer. If I add in the fact that I won't have to bring cash / stop at the ATM just go in grab the size I want anytime, that's kind of nice. Plus the night time use with lights and the new 3500 sq ft putting/chipping green coming soon.

... I considered one time setting up a nice practice net and hitting mat in my back building at home. But heck: real grass to hit off, and see the ball flight in air only 10 minutes away? why bother with a home net?

@ATL - it's located south west side of town (cayce/west cola), right off intersection of I-77 and I-26

still, forking out 650 for range balls all at once seems wrong... like I could be buying NEW GOLF CLUBS instead with that kind of money :bananadance:

I got free range when I paid my membership before the end of December, just got new Rocketbladez so come March I'll be spending time there.

To the post above or anyone talking about free range balls....i get full access to range balls and facilities and pools, tennis courts etc at a private club and i can tell you this 650 would cover a qt of my membership and I am playing on a course the nationwide has came to before so its no joe shmo course. Range Balls are all Taylor made Penta in the pyramid trays! The courses that offer that are public for 150 to 300 tops for unlimited access also have decent range balls that are more a mixture....one thing I do not like though is balls that are clearly stating range balls and are all chipped up and ruin your forged irons or chip n mark your driver face! So if I hit balls on the range to warm up and the balls are not new as my CC switches new balls every 3 months....I put the maltby designs impact stickers on my irons and even double up on them and slap em on my driver to protect the face....as well as using charter protecter shields in case of pop ups and to keep the crown 10/10!

To the post above or anyone talking about free range balls....i get full access to range balls and facilities and pools, tennis courts etc at a private club and i can tell you this 650 would cover a qt of my membership and I am playing on a course the nationwide has came to before so its no joe shmo course. Range Balls are all Taylor made Penta in the pyramid trays! The courses that offer that are public for 150 to 300 tops for unlimited access also have decent range balls that are more a mixture....one thing I do not like though is balls that are clearly stating range balls and are all chipped up and ruin your forged irons or chip n mark your driver face! So if I hit balls on the range to warm up and the balls are not new as my CC switches new balls every 3 months....I put the maltby designs impact stickers on my irons and even double up on them and slap em on my driver to protect the face....as well as using charter protecter shields in case of pop ups and to keep the crown 10/10!

Would you save money on the impact stickers by using blue painter's tape?

Back