Right foot back....

Michigan Slice

This Guy Cant dance...
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, I am a large fella, with horrible flexibility.

While golfing with fellow THPers they suggested I square myself to target line, then drop my right foot back.
I must say the results with the driver is favorable.

I also fade my irons, not a ton.
Should I drop that foot back with irons also?

Question is, I'm going to be starting lessons soon, is this something that, because of my limited flexibility that I should incorporate into my swing and go from there?
Or start from the ground up?
I'm very close to 40, so I don't think I'll be gaining a bunch of flexibility in the near future.

Thanks for the help guys.

Just call me...Barb
First official '15 Morgan cup hopeful.
(Gonna work on the game!)

Hey CJ - I've heard that tip offered to help with a bad back but not for general flexibility. The more common correction I'm aware of for flexibility is to point the toes out a bit. I don't know the answer to your question. Maybe this is a good topic to discuss with your instructor? BTW, you can get flexibility back... stretching and yoga really do help. There's a rule of thumb that we should stretch 1 day a week for every decade old we are (i.e., that's 4 days a week for you, my friend).

While golfing with fellow THPers they suggested I square myself to target line, then drop my right foot back.

Question is, I'm going to be starting lessons soon, is this something that, because of my limited flexibility that I should incorporate into my swing and go from there?
I'm very close to 40, so I don't think I'll be gaining a bunch of flexibility in the near future.

Just call me...Barb

I actually did this for awhile cause my left leg is shorter than my right due to a football injury and when I was square it seemed when I weight transferred I was leaning and I could feel myself doing it. Moving my right foot back to me helped me on my drives at the time. My suggestion is let them try to help you first and see if it works and if it doesn't seem right, suggest this idea to your coach and see what they think

Good suggestions!
Thanks for the input guys!
I hope my climb is not an impossible one!
I hope the instructor feels there's a little bit to work with! Lol

Just call me...Barb

CJ, I know alot of guys that do this and my GolfTec coach had me doing it for a while...you don't have to drop it back much, just slightly....for someone with limited flexibilty (See BIG DUDES) like you and me, it does help get the club back more to the inside and will help eliminate some of the Over the Top move that causes a big slice or the Dead Pull.

When I was doing it, the amount I dropped the foot back got shorter as the clubs got shorter because you don't need to come as far inside if that makes sense. They are some old school guys on the PGA tour that did this....Lee Trevino is the best known of that bunch.

If I am not mistaken I think JB drops his foot back slightly with the driver. (JB if I am wrong don't kill me hehe)

The biggest thing is to expirement with it and see what feels comfortable and works for you.

For me, right foot back (closed stance) and turned slightly out, makes for a full turn and a draw flight wise.

Just call me...Barb

barb,

my take on the dropping the right foot back is to help you finish your backswing. if you cant turn your back to the target then your starting your downswing with your back not to the target it will be at an angle depending on how far you can turn. that will throw your timing off and like the others have said you will come over the top and cut across the ball. i would say experiment and see how far you have to drop it back with each club so that you can make a full turn in the backswing. hope this helps

CJ glad it working out for you. I heard you were killer on the fairways on the back when you played with the frogg. Give it a shot with the irons and see how that goes. I wouldn't pull it back as far as you do with the driver though.

Your instructor may change this once you start working with him, or he may not with your limited flexibility and all there is only so much you can do to get back to the ball.

No harm in trying it CJ. But when you start your lessons it may change. Good luck going forward with the game and lessons.

Just call me...Barb

I remember giving you this tip. You should have the right foot of the line with every club. It promotes an inside take away and an outward swing. And remember once the left shoulder hits the chin you are done with your back swing.

Freddie,
You need a hug don't you? Lol
Yes you did give me this, and Jason reaffirmed that thought a couple weeks ago.
After Vegas, I went a few weeks without playing, and that was not fresh in my mind. Now I am trying to work it into my setup routine.

Baby steps man, baby steps!

I find myself now dwelling in thought, in excitement for improving my game.
I cannot wait until I get to start lessons!!

Just call me...Barb

I remember giving you this tip. You should have the right foot of the line with every club. It promotes an inside take away and an outward swing. And remember once the left shoulder hits the chin you are done with your back swing.

shoo glad I didn't give hime terrible advice.

shoo glad I didn't give hime terrible advice.

Not at all man! Thanks to you both!
I should have given you a hug too! Lol

Just call me...Barb

It's a great fix! I played like that for years and played well. I still resort back to it from time to time

It's a great fix! I played like that for years and played well. I still resort back to it from time to time

Just play a little less to help with ball flight on irons?
Because I'll tell you the step is a pretty big one with driver.
I do get straight iron ball flights on occasion with irons. When I remember "from target/to target" and don't get swinging without being connected ie:all arms.

Just call me...Barb

I might have to try this, I am having a hell of a time with slicing my woods the last couple rounds

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just play a little less to help with ball flight on irons?
Because I'll tell you the step is a pretty big one with driver.
I do get straight iron ball flights on occasion with irons. When I remember "from target/to target" and don't get swinging without being connected ie:all arms.

Just call me...Barb

It can be as little as 2" or 6". The distance is the same from driver to wedge. The key it get you swing inside to out.

Here's my take on it, and it looks like I'm going to be playing the "devil's advocate" on this. Dropping the right foot back does help increase the turn in the backswing. It does help the player get more depth because of improved rotation. Here's the issue on the downswing though. Even with all of the increased movement in the backswing you're now going to have to work harder to rotate back to impact position and you're going to struggle to get past that position. Basically I look at it as that you are giving yourself an opportunity to increase your turn away from the golf ball so that you can't turn back to it, make sense? Think of it in baseball terms. You have your body positioned so that your facing first base but your objective is to hit it to center. Yeah, you can turn away from the pitcher easier this way but how is this going to help you square up to hit it over his head?

For the life of me I cannot remember the Champions Tour player that did an article about this topic several years ago. He had been in an accident or got some back back issue and couldn't turn well. Even before the issue was was a bigger man. So he adapted his swing and shortened it, going back as far as his body would allow. His hands couldn't get much above his shoulders and his depth was maybe middle of his chest. He had decided to forego distance for accuracy. But what he really did well was stay on plane, he really had great weight transfer and power through impact because of leg drive and turn. That's what I would recommend for you. Do what your body will allow you do it. If that means flattening out the backswing some (similar to a one plane swing) so that you don't fight an over the top move then so be it.

In the end I would always advocate doing what your body will allow you to do and being more proactive through the rotation of the downswing. Focus on driving with power though the hitting area rather than having to work harder to generate it because you feel that you have to hit a particular rotation and depth position in the backswing. Generally speaking most people take the backswing much further past where they really should be going, they work harder to get back to impact, and lose distance and accuracy because of it.

Just my take.

CJ glad it working out for you. I heard you were killer on the fairways on the back when you played with the frogg. Give it a shot with the irons and see how that goes. I wouldn't pull it back as far as you do with the driver though.

Your instructor may change this once you start working with him, or he may not with your limited flexibility and all there is only so much you can do to get back to the ball.

He was too! Tons better. He sells himself short just as I do when comparing my game to Canadan's. I wish I had his swing!

Amphibians can Tapatalk... Fear the Frog!

He was too! Tons better. He sells himself short just as I do when comparing my game to Canadan's. I wish I had his swing!

We ALL wish we had Canadan's swing!!

Right foot back....

Callawaygolfpro

I understand what your saying, but with out tons of time to work with him in the middle of a round this was the best "fix".

Knowing barb will be taking lessons this winter with a pro who can better work within his physical limitations all I could do was get him to stop coming over the top.

He like many of us amateurs was aligned left of target line with face square to target to begin with and that made it worse. Dropping the right foot actually put him better aligned to his target line. The added bonus was him getting the club inside to out.

We ALL wish we had Canadan's swing!!

His swing is sickening and mesmerizing! Lots of time in building that swing!

Thanks for everything!
I love how this community is about helping fellow golfers!
It is much appreciated!

Just call me...Barb

No problem man that's what we all are here for, to get better, help others and have loads of FUN!!!!

I did this today too. Brought the front of my right foot back half the length of my left foot. Coupled with making sure I wasn't making my backswing down the line, and I was hitting the ball better today.

Back