DOW tumbles 1000 points on opening

TheWoo

Reaction score
Handicap
0.3 GHIN
Only down 885 now. Ouch. As a Foundation CEO who has a call with his investment advisory committee this morning, the timing is great. :bulgy-eyes:

I just bought more FB and AAPL on this dip. Be greedy when others are fearful.

Wonder how this will affect new club purchases. Might be worst drop since 1987.

Yeah, fun stuff, I'm on an advisory board for a PE that is now getting cold feet on several acquisitions it planned to close on in September.

I just bought more FB and AAPL on this dip. Be greedy when others are fearful.
Really the only way to go. Just have to have the capital to do so...

Yeah was just thinking it may be a good time to buy....
I know one of my 401k accounts was invested in China stocks, guess I'll be holding on to that for a while.

Yeah was just thinking it may be a good time to buy....
I know one of my 401k accounts was invested in China stocks, guess I'll be holding on to that for a while.

That's what you get for being unamerican ya jerk!!! *Looks at my 401k and cries* Nevermind

What's a DOW?

What's a DOW?

It's a mad cow :confused2:

I don't have any stocks at all. Never have so I don't pay much attention to what's going on in that arena.

We save, save, save, save, save, save, save and never touch or investments. Of course we just looked at mini-vans and would cash in some of our investments for that. What crappy timing. Thanks China!

Some morning words of wisdom from Morgan Stanley:

All Eyes on Oil. Technical and positioning factors—not big changes in fundamentals—driving the correction in global equities; further collapse in oil price trumps Fed rate hike as market driver; wider credit spreads and falling inflation expectations raise recession fears, but recessions have typically been preceded by high oil prices; lower prices have yet to curb supply growth, but restricted capital access should force resolution within next nine-to-12 months; still, benefits of cheap oil should be self-correcting. Consider adding to potential beneficiaries of a reversal in oil—high yield bonds, transport MLPs, energy stocks and inflation-protection securities.

not a great start to the week after last weeks poo poo

Time to double down, not pack up and quit. I didn't think anyone has found an oil alternative to our energy crisis, oh that's right we didn't. Oil will come back up and the world keeps on turning.

Time to double down, not pack up and quit. I didn't think anyone has found an oil alternative to our energy crisis, oh that's right we didn't. Oil will come back up and the world keeps on turning.
Exactly. We did that in 2008 - 2010 and made a killing. We were up over 130% on our investments by the time the Dow made it back to pre-recession values.

Time to double down, not pack up and quit.
A friend of mine used to say "I hope the market experiences trouble every single time the day before pay day ... that way our dollars can buy more shares." Not worried about it yet, I'm much too far away from retirement to worry about a slight dip in value of my IRA's and 401(k).

Never a good thing when you see news articles outlining the scenarios on which the NYSE will suspend trading.

Like a lot of folks, I'm not too worried. Given how far I am from retirement, this is a chance to make some buys at discount. But, for the folks who are close to retirement, it's a bit less fun - though, most of those folks will have moved into more conservative portfolios by now.

The sky is falling today but the smart people will buy when its low and make money off of it. Ive said it before and I'll say it again: the stock market is nothing more than a rich man's game. Its little more than gambling on the futures of the market. The sad part is that hard-working, middle class folks are going to lose money on their retirement, whereas the top 1% will continue to get richer.

The sky is falling today but the smart people will buy when its low and make money off of it. Ive said it before and I'll say it again: the stock market is nothing more than a rich man's game. Its little more than gambling on the futures of the market. The sad part is that hard-working, middle class folks are going to lose money on their retirement, whereas the top 1% will continue to get richer.
Sorry to get this thread off topic, but I disagree. The best way for the working person to improve their financial lot in life is to have their money working for them (that doesn't have to mean the stock market). The best way for someone to stay where they are financially is to keep relying exclusively on their hard labor. Just as the golf ball doesn't know the handicap of the person that struck it, the stock market doesn't know who invested what.

Sorry to get this thread off topic, but I disagree. The best way for the working person to improve their financial lot in life is to have their money working for them (that doesn't have to mean the stock market). The best way for someone to stay where they are financially is to keep relying exclusively on their hard labor. Just as the golf ball doesn't know the handicap of the person that struck it, the stock market doesn't know who invested what.

Bingo.
Every working person is going to need this in the future. Social security being what it is and all. Then add that so many people that say that, merely dont understand it and are quick to jump into 401ks and such, which are nothing more than the market in a general sense.

Time to go buy some value stocks I've been watching. They are below the low I like and worth a calculated risk.

You are correct however if Bankrate is to be believed, less then 15% of American's own stocks. With the average American household having income of around $50K there isn't much money to put into the market.

I'm of the belief that delayed gratification and putting off major life events is the best way to build wealth when you have an average income level. When you try and do too much too soon you end up behind an eight ball that is virtually impossible to overcome.

You are correct however if Bankrate is to be believed, less then 15% of American's own stocks. With the average American household having income of around $50K there isn't much money to put into the market.

I'm of the belief that delayed gratification and putting off major life events is the best way to build wealth when you have an average income level. When you try and do too much too soon you end up behind an eight ball that is virtually impossible to overcome.
I'm pretty sure that is a statistic that is true only if you are talking individual stocks. Many more people are invested through their retirement accounts in mutual funds that include stock equities.

I don't think that number includes people who have their money in mutual funds - which, while they aren't technically stocks, are largely comprised of stocks. This article from CNBC has the number at about 50%.

http://www.cnbc.com/2015/04/09/half-of-americans-avoid-the-stock-market.html

I'm pretty sure that is a statistic that is true only if you are talking individual stocks. Many more people are invested through their retirement accounts in mutual funds that include stock equities.

It is, i get the 401K investment strategy but to truly understand your 401K and the funds you are choosing to invest in it is helpful to do some trading of your own - it's hard to call someone a bad driver when you don't know how to drive a car!

Back