Help with handicap/ iron selection

ILHacker

Reaction score
Handicap
Who knows?
Hey everyone! I bought some Cleveland cg7 tours on the cheap to get back into swing of things (no pun intended!) and am looking at getting my first fitted set soon. My personnel best is 89, though was shooting 105'ish at the end of last year. Do you think i20's, j40dcp, or jpx 825 pros are too much club for me to hit?

I hit 8 - PW very well, but have struggles from 7 iron down (decent portion of which due to get swing figured out. Putting and short game are obviously biggest areas in which to gain strokes...and toward the end of year was starting to put see best chipping and putting improvements ever.

Thanks,
Brandon

Truthfully many of those will be similar to what you are playing now in terms of forgiveness. Smaller sole and overall head profile and moderate to thin top line. Is there is a reason you are looking at changing?

Best advice I can give is hold off on irons for a season and put the money into lessons with a local PGA pro who uses video. You'll save more shots that way than any set of clubs will do.

I think your current irons are very similar to sets you're looking at. If it was me i'd take a couple of lessons and get the swing grooved. Do the fitting afterward because they'll likely change your swing, for the better. I game the I20s currently. They knocked the Mizuno MX-200 (similar to the JPX????) out of my bag this past summer. You can't go wrong with either set in my opinion.

Thanks guys for advise. I have already talked to local pro about lessons in early spring, and it would make sense to hold off on irons until swing is repeatable.

As for the equipment change two fold - to get something fit for me and for personal taste. Had Mizuno mx-23 before the were stolen (thankfully just after I quit golf in order to finish degree while still working). I didn't care for top line of the mx's, but the feel was amazing when striped. The CG7's just feel hard. But I have never used better player clubs before, that might be how they all feel(?).

On mistruck shots, you will get some harsh feedback on most smaller headed irons. You have a couple of options. First off, to answer your original question, no, none of them are above your playing ability, because you are playing irons similar to that now. Are there more forgiving irons out there? Absolutely, but that is not really the question at hand right now.

As for the fitting, don't discount getting your current clubs fit to your swing now, rather than a new set. While I am all for new items (I like new things I guess), your irons should work okay while you are going through gaining a repeatable swing. The irons currently in your bag can be altered to a limit to assist during this process.

IL. Don't let anybody tell you that you have to be a certain handicap to play an iron. Or that you can't get to a low cap with a certain iron. I would go get fit. If you like your current irons (I think Keegan Bradley still plays them) then see if they can be retrofit to meet your specs. Or then be objective and get the irons you like best.

Back