Trying To Break 90 Club

I shot an 88 on Friday, played a pretty solid round but still left quite a few easy shot out there. Saturday I shot a 95, played about the same but had 5 or 6 putts rimmed out and had 3 pitch shots hit the flag. Still have a lot of work to do with the driver, it's getting more consistent but still not hitting enough fairways and having to make too many difficult second shots. It's a lot easier game to play from the short grass.

Well most of the summer I have been playing the 6500yd tee (My course's Whites) because that is what we have to play for league. Being too long for my game I have been posting mid-90's to low 100's as a norm. I have moved up to the 5889yd tees (Golds) recently when playing outside of league and with today being my 3rd round at that distance I shot a 43/45=88 this morning. Had 2 three putts in the front and all 2 putts on the back for 36 putts. Had 6 pars, two of which were par 5's, and several birdie attempts. Last hole Par 5, third shot to 5 ft for birdie. Didn't I hit it too damn hard. :banghead: Hit the back of the cup and bounced out for a tap in Par. Lol Oh well, at least I am having opportunities. This is my first sub 90 round of the year.

This game is fun when you play it like you are supposed to.

Last edited:
Lesson got rained out yesterday... hoping we have sunshine today. Need help getting the pull hooks sorted out before I leave for vacation (and three rounds of golf in sunny Southern California) tomorrow. Send me some "no rain today" vibes THP :bananadance:

Well most of the summer I have been playing the 6500yd tee (My course's Whites) because that is what we have to play for league. Being too long for my game I have been posting mid-90's to low 100's as a norm. I have moved up to the 5889yd tees (Golds) recently when playing outside of league and with today being my 3rd round at that distance I shot a 43/45=88 this morning. Had 2 three putts in the front and all 2 putts on the back for 36 putts. Had 6 pars, two of which were par 5's, and several birdie attempts. Last hole Par 5, third shot to 5 ft for birdie. Didn't I hit it too damn hard. :banghead: Hit the back of the cup and bounced out for a tap in Par. Lol Oh well, at least I am having opportunities. This is my first sub 90 round of the year.

This game is fun when you play it like you are supposed to.
Nice Krispy! I don't blame ya for moving up to the other tees, what kind of course plays off the whites @ 6500!? I don't like playing a course much longer than around 6200/6300yds.

Nice Krispy! I don't blame ya for moving up to the other tees, what kind of course plays off the whites @ 6500!? I don't like playing a course much longer than around 6200/6300yds.

^^ This ^^, my whites are 6300, reds are 5700 so moving up has it's obvious advantage

Jekyl and Hyde golf fore sure!

101 (51/50) 37 putts, just 4 FWs and 3 GIR, & 7 penalties. Tough course and the driver was all over the place which accounted for all the penalty strokes. Just way too much difference between a good swing and a bad one. The consistency is just terrible and the focus was just not there today either.

Jekyl and Hyde golf fore sure!

101 (51/50) 37 putts, just 4 FWs and 3 GIR, & 7 penalties. Tough course and the driver was all over the place which accounted for all the penalty strokes. Just way too much difference between a good swing and a bad one. The consistency is just terrible and the focus was just not there today either.

Where did you play? Sounds like everything went against you during the round.

Where did you play? Sounds like everything went against you during the round.
Diamond Hawk, a lot of holes with little room for error off the tee. Pin placements were borderline stupid. Course is gorgeous though.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Diamond Hawk, a lot of holes with little room for error off the tee. Pin placements were borderline stupid. Course is gorgeous though.

i think my brother talked about playing there last year when I came up. Tight courses are no bueno for swings that go awry. Im sure you will get back on track next round

actually plenty do from my experiences. A 7000 yarder with 3 tee sets can often be 6300 to 6600. My old course where I use to live played nearly 6500 from whites. My closest local muni where I am now is 6450 whites and another local muni is the same while two more with 4 tee sets are both the same from one set in. While one more is a much shorter course all together.

But total yardage can be very deceiving and often is very misguided. Things like the amount of par3's and par5's and/or an oddball hole here and there and/or doglegs and layouts in general or any combo of any of that can very often offer a playing environment not really reflective of a courses total yardage. I actually use my driver more on the shortest of my local munis than I do on the longest one and that shortest course has the longest par5 of them all and two of the longest par4's of them all. It simply has an extra par3 and two of the shortest par4's but for the rest of the course you need some good distance from the whites even though several hundred yards shorter collectively. So things are not always what they seem when it comes to total yardage.

i think my brother talked about playing there last year when I came up. Tight courses are no bueno for swings that go awry. Im sure you will get back on track next round
Thanks, you should definitely put it on your list of courses to play when you're in town if you haven't already.

another 92 tonight, dam doubles on par 3s again and the par 5s were bogey, par, par, bogey

Thanks stixxx.

The first time I ever broke 100, I broke 90 too, shooting an 87. It was the result of coming up with a super conservative plan and sticking with it for the whole round (probably the first, and last time I ever stuck with anything for more than three holes). I only took the clubs I was most comfortable with (Driver, 7wood, 5&8irons, PW and putter), so that cut out a lot of mishits. The next thing I did was get a game plan. I would hit the drive in the middle of the fairway and not try for any kind of distance. I would get the second shot as close to the green as I could without going anywhere near any trouble (always going for short of the front only). The third shot, I would get on the green somewhere between the middle and the flag. I never tried to hole any of the first putts. Instead, I only tried to get them so close to the hole, there was no way I could miss the second. I know I had one birdie and I don't remember if I had any doubles. Even when I would get my second shot on the green, I'd resist getting greedy and stick to my putting plan. This was early 90s, so I don't recall much else about it.
The first time I ever broke 80, I had three clubs (5i, PW and putter). It was basically whack, whack, chip, putt. Between breaking 90 and breaking 80, my contact with the ball had gotten a lot better and I practiced with my PW constantly.

If we think about shots over par, aren't they all either mishits, foolish choices, or both? For me, looking in my bag and honestly assessing whether I could hit a club, or not, was key to improving my game. I took those clubs out that were iffy to me, and I even removed clubs that didn't matter once I decided I wouldn't care if I hit the greens in reg., or not. I'd still bring a bunch of them to the driving range, but they weren't 'equipment' until I could hit them and until I had a use for them.

47/51 - 98 yesterday on the first day of my trip to San Diego. Actually four-putted on 17. Ugh.

Playing another round this morning on Coronado Island. Should be fun.

Shot a 90 today at Holiday Golf in Panama City. Very nice course. Went 48 / 42. I was working some issues out with my swing on the front nine and discovered the issue by the back nine. Wound up with 1 birdie 6 pars 6 bogeys 2 doubles and 3 triples. With only one 3 putt because I didn't bother to line up a 3 footer.

Getting close.

I had a large set back today with an even 100 ... somedays I just don't know ... I putted well I felt. Just had issues getting out the tee box well.

Trying To Break 90 Club

95 at Coronado in San Diego today. Very happy with 95 on a course I've never played before.

Also, a first: played one ball the whole round. No lost balls and no penalties.

Lastly - I had the low score in the group by one stroke. First time I've ever won a match. In a related story I was the only one who refused the Fireball shots.

I shot a 97 on Wednesday, missing ~12 strokes (bad choice, mishit, bad putt, etc..) from less than 50 yards. I know that my potential is there, just need to get it all together. Definitely feel like you need to keep a solid game plan together for the entire round and not take shots that can lead to trouble.

I know that I can get there, need to put in the wedge work and putting.

44 tonight on 9. Same 9 I shot 41 on last week. Had a few more putts which led to the higher score, including 2 3 putts. Driver was still behaving for the most part. One more 18 hole round at home before heading to Myrtle for a week for 4 rounds

db205750af141a5cfa7fcf557feafa01.jpg

95 at Coronado in San Diego today. Very happy with 95 on a course I've never played before.

Also, a first: played one ball the whole round. No lost balls and no penalties.

Lastly - I had the low score in the group by one stroke. First time I've ever won a match. In a related story I was the only one who refused the Fireball shots.
Haha really not a whole lot good happens with Fireball

I went 9, 8, 7, on the first three holes yesterday morning. Tee'd up on the 4th par 3 and shanked a 6 iron into the water, hit a 2nd shanked it again, hit a 3rd and landed just short of the front tees. I then started feeling slightly uhm emotional with a very strong urge to destroy every club in the bag and then do a John Daly and send them swimming in the water. I gave up and retired to the club house instead, and left my wife to finish the round on her own instead of ruining the morning for her as well. She shot a 99 on a not to easy course, this follows on from her 96 and 98 on our home course.

Prior to this disaster I'd had a very successful short game lesson and was really looking forward to trying it out on the course. Whilst having a calming bottle of water and several cigarettes I got thinking what was going on with my swing. It was either takeaway issues or hand path issues, which normally result in shanks, tops, or fat shots. Thats when I decided to hit the range and see if I could sort it out. A slow deliberate takeaway with the feeling of my left arm tight to my chest, shoulders and hips moving together. Started with 1/2 feeling turns and progressed to 3/4 feeling turns which is really a full turn, this produced nice high shots with my normal gentle fade.

If I was in a better frame of mind at the moment I could have figured this out on the course, however with work issues and one or two other things my temper is at a all time low and the frustration sets in early. (Vent over).

44 tonight on 9. Same 9 I shot 41 on last week. Had a few more putts which led to the higher score, including 2 3 putts. Driver was still behaving for the most part. One more 18 hole round at home before heading to Myrtle for a week for 4 rounds

db205750af141a5cfa7fcf557feafa01.jpg

But did you meet any Russian girls?

93 this morning so normality has returned. 1 birdie, 3 pars, 8 bogies, the remainder were doubles or worse.
Short game lesson and practice is paying off, 36 putts including three 3 putts.
My wife is now really starting to put rounds together, 3 out the last 5 have been, 99, 96 and a 95 this morning which is great news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back