My first S&T session

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I hit the range this morning for the first time trying my new Stack and Tilt swing. After only the first few balls I could notice a difference. I found it much easier to keep the ball straight. I went through my entire bag of clubs and found as I moved up towards the woods and driver it become more difficult to keep the S&T working, I kept reverting back to my old ways and pushing and slicing. But if I slowed down and really thought about the principles I could get it going back straight. I'm sure it will take me a few more sessions and rounds to get comfortable with it. But I'm quite excited for my golfing future.

Congratulations. It sounds like your making progress.

Did you get a lesson or did you buy a book or dvd? I'm getting interested in S&T

Did you get a lesson or did you buy a book or dvd? I'm getting interested in S&T

I have the book and the dvd set, I find the dvds much more informative but all very good information.

What are you're distances like compared to your old swing?

I'd say they were the same or maybe 5-10 yards longer. But the thing that I noticed the most was the ease of accuracy.

if you plan on sticking to S&T do yourself a favor and learn the ballflight laws they prescribe. it will help you big time in the future figuring out how to fix problems on the fly.

Ice was there a particular malady that you were trying to cure by going to the S&T or had you just decided you had enough of the traditional swing and figured a complete change was the better alternative to continuing to try to make progress using the traditional swing? Does it feel really different and is that hard to get used to so far?

Ice was there a particular malady that you were trying to cure by going to the S&T or had you just decided you had enough of the traditional swing and figured a complete change was the better alternative to continuing to try to make progress using the traditional swing? Does it feel really different and is that hard to get used to so far?

I'm an ex-hockey player, so I've got an interesting swing to begin with. I've been playing for around 8 years or so, only serious for about 5 or 6. I had gotten to the point where I just needed something to jump start me and after learning and watching all the S&T info I could get my hands on it just clicked for me. It's quite simple, and it does really work. I played with my wife the other night and on the second hole I had the longest drive of my life, 290, and it was even pulled a little bit. So yes I'm a believer and it can only get better. I'm hoping to attend a school or lesson from a S&T teacher soon. I'll be sure to keep everyone posted here.

I played in a scramble this morning and kept pulling everything, don't get me wrong it wasn't that far off and it was quite further than I normally hit it, but still it's weird to have always fought going right and now I'm going left and sometimes with a little bit of a fade. I'm going to try and set up in the left side of the tee box and aim for the right side of the fairway now. But has anyone who's done S&T run into the left pull?

I am a convert as well - Pretty much just read everything I could find about S&T and actually saw the teachers at a clinic her in San Diego- I was a slicer - in fact so consistent with my slice I could play for it and pretty much knew where my ball would end up. But with the slice I was short and aiming left etc. stunk so I looked to for something easy and that I could self teach. I tried it and have stuck with it and it has paid dividends for sure. I don't take real divots but my mistakes now are left which I NEVER used to do. Very happy with the S&T - YMMV!

I played in a scramble this morning and kept pulling everything, don't get me wrong it wasn't that far off and it was quite further than I normally hit it, but still it's weird to have always fought going right and now I'm going left and sometimes with a little bit of a fade. I'm going to try and set up in the left side of the tee box and aim for the right side of the fairway now. But has anyone who's done S&T run into the left pull?

Sorry for the weird bump, but after someone else brought up S&T I found my old thread, I have since abandoned the Stack and Tilt, but I found this comment I made more than 2 years ago, because now I fight a left pull a lot. I wonder if any of it stems back to my S&T conversion!!!

Ha ha - blast from the past - I too am "mostly" off of it- just couldn't get enough info to answer all my questions or fill in details. I switched to Paul Wilson via Youtube (still never had a lesson)
I posted a video of my swing here not long ago and Tadashi noted my straightening back leg ala ST - have now tried to keep it flexed and stay inside of that right foot and have improved greatly! My misses now are always left.

Pull happens when you stack, come over the top, then tilt. It's all in how you start your downswing.

TTing

Ha ha - blast from the past - I too am "mostly" off of it- just couldn't get enough info to answer all my questions or fill in details. I switched to Paul Wilson via Youtube (still never had a lesson)
I posted a video of my swing here not long ago and Tadashi noted my straightening back leg ala ST - have now tried to keep it flexed and stay inside of that right foot and have improved greatly! My misses now are always left.

I'll be sure to check him out, every little bit helps!

Pull happens when you stack, come over the top, then tilt. It's all in how you start your downswing.

TTing
Thain, would you mind expanding on that a bit, sounds like you may have inadvertently fixed my problem!!!

So your saying I stay on top of the ball, don't slide during my takeaway, and then tilt how does the tilt and come over the top happen, simultaneously? Or is it I'm creating a reverse pivot type thing?

Thain, would you mind expanding on that a bit, sounds like you may have inadvertently fixed my problem!!!

So your saying I stay on top of the ball, don't slide during my takeaway, and then tilt how does the tilt and come over the top happen, simultaneously? Or is it I'm creating a reverse pivot type thing?

Stack, push your hip as far towards the target as you can, and let the arms come across the ball from inside to out. That will cause hooks. Get a nice big hook going on the range. Then lessen and lessen and lessen the hip slide until you're left with a baby draw.

TTing

You get a hook from the lack of rotation in the lower body and the arms continuing past the hips. If you marry the arms and hips you get a straight ball. Simply having arms in specific path won't cause you to hook. Other things have to not happen.

I hit the range this morning for the first time trying my new Stack and Tilt swing. After only the first few balls I could notice a difference. I found it much easier to keep the ball straight. I went through my entire bag of clubs and found as I moved up towards the woods and driver it become more difficult to keep the S&T working, I kept reverting back to my old ways and pushing and slicing. But if I slowed down and really thought about the principles I could get it going back straight. I'm sure it will take me a few more sessions and rounds to get comfortable with it. But I'm quite excited for my golfing future.
Pardon the ignorance.... What is it?

Pardon the ignorance.... What is it?

Stack and Tilt is a swing philosophy. A fair amount of people use it, and some swear by it like with any swing philosophy.

Stack and Tilt is a swing philosophy. A fair amount of people use it, and some swear by it like with any swing philosophy.
Thanks... I hadn't heard of it. Looks interesting. I would be worried of falling into the reverse C scenario, unless I'm not understanding the concept I read.

Stack, push your hip as far towards the target as you can, and let the arms come across the ball from inside to out. That will cause hooks. Get a nice big hook going on the range. Then lessen and lessen and lessen the hip slide until you're left with a baby draw.

TTing

You get a hook from the lack of rotation in the lower body and the arms continuing past the hips. If you marry the arms and hips you get a straight ball. Simply having arms in specific path won't cause you to hook. Other things have to not happen.
Those both make perfect sense, I can't wait for the snow to melt so I can get to the range!

Arms cutting across the ball will most certainly cause a draw/hook with the natural closing of the club face.

TTing

Arms cutting across the ball will most certainly cause a draw/hook with the natural closing of the club face.

TTing

My point was that there are more factors then just the arms across the body. Most golfers that pull their arms across their body open up at impact and slice it. Or they hang back and slice it.

Back