David Frederick

Reaction score
Handicap
I am pretty happy with my progress in most of my game but the driver still kills me. Something in my pea brain keeps me from making a good driver swing. I hit my 3 wood farther and straighter off the turf than I hit any of my several drivers off a tee.Yesterday I decided to leave it in the car and use my three wood. What a nice round not having to make up for short sliced drives practically every hole. I suspect the lack of driver frustration had something to do with me making a several nice long putts and enjoying my round a lot more.
Anyway, I think I'll save the driver for the range until I get it worked out, if ever.

Kuddos to you for actually locking the beast up in the car and walking away! Easier said than done! You know your game the best so sounds like you did the right thing. Golf is suppose to be fun when possible!

I am pretty happy with my progress in most of my game but the driver still kills me. Something in my pea brain keeps me from making a good driver swing. I hit my 3 wood farther and straighter off the turf than I hit any of my several drivers off a tee.Yesterday I decided to leave it in the car and use my three wood. What a nice round not having to make up for short sliced drives practically every hole. I suspect the lack of driver frustration had something to do with me making a several nice long putts and enjoying my round a lot more.
Anyway, I think I'll save the driver for the range until I get it worked out, if ever.
if you play better without it why not?
Have you taken any lessons? They helped me out a ton

How much difference is there between your driver and 3w length wise? I once had a driver only about 1 inch longer than my 3w and it was a fairway finder. I had my R11 built to 45 and I like it much better. Your driver length may be causing alot of your problem. Lots of THPers have shortened their drivers.

Well done, I have had that thought on more than one occasion and even try to tell myself on the first tee to just use the 3w. But I leave it in the bag and one or two holes I pull it out and instantly regret that decision. Keep up the good play and the positive mindset.

You did the right thing! You might want to take a lesson,it doesn't sound like much of an issue to correct if you've got a good swing with your other clubs.
A Pro could spot it quick and maybe make a grip change or some other tweak. Good Luck!

I used to have major driver problems, and I was always too stubborn to take it out. Good for you and congrats on the good round.

I did that most of the summer as well, now my problems have switched. I couldn't hit a 3w if my life depended on it so the driver is back in play and the 3w is hiding.

I played without a driver for years. Couldn't hit them. It wasn't until 2008 that I put one back in the bag.

I also went a couple years without hitting a driver on the course.

I have played many great round without a driver and a 3 wood only...a few times a 5 wood only when I was changing from a 3 to different 4 woods as I find them more versatile for me! Nothing wrong with that if it works!

Thanks for the supportive responses. No lessons yet but this driver may be the thing that drives me to it. I may give the shorter driver shaft idea a shot. I also saw an R11 3T (14*) wood for 99 bucks new. Interesting and I always love an excuse to buy new stuff.

good for you man, I could never leave my driver in the car. there has been plenty of times that I did hit 2-3 bad drives and left it in my bag for the rest of the round. I'm with you on the getting frustrated after a bad drive part, it really ruins the hole.

Mate I feel your pain, a few years ago i could not hit my driver and i never brought it out the bag until i went to the "ask a pro section" and i was told to try the "Baseball Diamond Drill" and I swear that changed my driving completely and my driving is now the best part of my game. Go to that section and look for people with driver slice problems and someone will have described it for you to try at the range, you will not regret it!!!!

good job keeping it humble and gald if it works, nothing wrong with that. But I do sense you still wanna hit the driver. Ever been fitted and checked into many different drivers and shafts? As was mentioned, could be legnth isue among other things. Good luck

Fair play to you for leaving the driver in the car. Most people won't pull the trigger on actually doing it. I did a Morgan Cup prep round last year with irons only and really enjoyed it. Made me think about shots a lot more but the main thing was that i kept the ball in play all day

I played without a driver for years. Couldn't hit them. It wasn't until 2008 that I put one back in the bag.

Same here, except I still don't carry one but hoping to change that this year

Good for you, knowing what's best for your game. Me, personally, I hit my driver better than I could ever hope to hit my 3 wood so I'll stick with it.

Same here, I don't carry a driver either. My 3W does the job perfect, can't find a reason yet to carry a driver :)

David, speaking from experience....a drummer can never have too many sticks, so put that big stick back in your bag.
Even if you never swing it, it will come in handy when you need a long club for better relief on a drop, or a longer snake beating stick.

Good luck with getting the driver straightened out !

It takes a lot of discipline to take the driver out of the bag. I played a few rounds without mine many years ago when I was struggling with my driver, and had good results playing that way.

In the long run, you put yourself at a disadvantage by not having a driver. Finding a driver that you are confident hitting, whether through a fitting or getting lessons or practicing more, is the way to go in my opinion.

LMAO With my game and where I live, the bigger snake beating stick is probably the best reason I have for a driver.

David, speaking from experience....a drummer can never have too many sticks, so put that big stick back in your bag.
Even if you never swing it, it will come in handy when you need a long club for better relief on a drop, or a longer snake beating stick.

Good luck with getting the driver straightened out !

In the long run, you put yourself at a disadvantage by not having a driver. Finding a driver that you are confident hitting, whether through a fitting or getting lessons or practicing more, is the way to go in my opinion.

I tend to agree with this. Even if you only hit the driver for 4 holes a round, it will still be nice to have it when you get up to the wide open holes where you know you can hit it. I've played without one and have just felt regret when I got up to a hole like that or if I were really just swinging the ball well today.

This is why I'm carrying the LT2W right now. If the driver is bad, I have something to fall back on that really doesn't give up much distance wise. It is also great for starting a round (nice smooth, controlled strokes) or tight holes.

I really struggled with the driver for years. It got to the point where i only carried irons. I ended up getting a nice 3-wood and eventually hybrids to help off the tee. I have a driver in the bag but it took a lot of work to get comfortable. I still hit 3-wood and hybrid off the tee more than most. FYI - I learned when i had the driver in my hand, my backswing got longer and i made an over top swing.

Was going to do this with my previous driver until I bought my Burner. Now my cousin however doesn't even own a driver. He has his iron set and then a 3h. Now unlike the OP it's not really helping his game, but it is keeping him less stressed. Although I really wish he would at least try to learn to hit a driver

Back