2012 Cross Pro Jacket Review Thread

good info and reviews in here.... i really love how these look and seem to work really well. i think i'd even wear this jacket off the golf course as well.

I should have made mention of that!
I do wear it off the golf course. I don't like heavy coats anytime really, unless I'm spending a day out in the snow or something and this Cross jacket works amazing for everyday wear.

I've gotten compliments on it from co workers who ask what kind it is and where they might can get one.

I should have made mention of that!
I do wear it off the golf course. I don't like heavy coats anytime really, unless I'm spending a day out in the snow or something and this Cross jacket works amazing for everyday wear.

I've gotten compliments on it from co workers who ask what kind it is and where they might can get one.

i'm with you i hate heavy coats unless i'm skiing and even then i tend to layer more and wear a lighter jacket if i can. I think these are styling even for off the course for sure.

The versatility of this jacket is really great to see. I love that it is great as a wind breaker and as a rain jacket. Really solid.

Agreed, and I see it as an on and off the course jacket as well.

Kingdom 59 has this jacket for $99. thats a steal!!!

While I dont have a kingdom59 membership, this is a great deal. I've seen FJ windshirts sell for $99, and they arent rain proof either.

I was able to hit the range for a bucket of balls yesterday afternoon and it was my first time hitting actual golf balls wearing my Cross Pro Jacket. Temps were in the low 50s with winds about 10-15 mph.

Even though I was just hitting balls, I dressed like I would dress for a regular round in similar weather conditions. I had an Under Armour long sleeve base layer on top, a short sleeve golf shirt, and my Cross Pro Jacket. I was plenty warm with this setup, even almost to the point where if I had many balls left, I wouldve taken the jacket off. I did not use the range stall heater that was available either.

As previously discussed, the jacket fits me very well. The sleeve length is great, the jacket is not too wide like many jackets are for me, and it is not tight around the shoulders or upper arm area. The one area is too big for me are the sleeve openings, but the velcro closures are easy to adjust and allow me to make them as tight as I like.

There has been some talk about the sound of wind/rain jackets during while playing. I know sound is hard to translate via text, but this jacket is not as loud or 'swishy' as my DryJoy Performance jacket from 2011. I created a voice memo on my phone (not the most scientific test, i know) to hopefully give everyone a better idea of the sound during a golf swing. For reference, I am using a gap wedge making full swings using my normal tempo. What you will hear is me putting my phone in the interior chest pocket, zipping the pocket, then making 2 swings. Then, I move my phone to my back pocket so you can get a different sound source of my final swing. The other sounds you hear, are the pure strikes of my 50* 588 wedge hitting cheap range balls off winter range mats.

Hope this helps anyone looking for a nice jacket to use during these colder months, let us know if you have questions / suggestions.

Well, I awoke yesterday to a forecast of 80% rain but temps still in the 50's/60's and figured it would be a perfect time to hit the course and maybe test the rain attributes of the jacket & sam hat.

Before we teed off, there was no rain and it was in the 60's so actually was too warm to wear the jacket. Finally on hole number 12, we started to get some light drizzling but not enough for rain gear.

Approaching the green on 13 and here comes the rain. I took off my golf hat, pulled my jacket and sam hat out of the bag and was ready to play some golf. Of course, my 4 other playing partners decide they weren't playing in the rain so I was left to finish alone. I tightened the area around the neck and soon realized I was getting a bit warm so loosened it up but it did not negatively impact the ability for the jacket to keep out the rain.

To say that the jacket & hat worked great would be an understatement. As a matter of fact, my only thoughts while playing in the rain were grips, gloves, and hands as the Cross rain gear made staying dry a complete non issue.

Here is a pic just after I finished playing (stopped raining on 17):

12AA4EAE-FC15-4B08-A9A7-216C69AB6567-15548-0000073EFD79D215.jpg

I then went into the bathroom to snap a few pics. With jacket/hat on just as I wore it while it was raining:

92FB7F82-9A67-4ACA-A6FC-65F7B5A40EE8-15548-0000073F02808DFB.jpg

Jacket opened up showing that my shirt was completely dry:

C02C775D-972A-4FB5-B941-03CFAF75D5A8-15548-0000073F05D6165D.jpg

Awesome cookie, glad to see it kept you dry, the most important thing in regards to rain gear. Did it make you sweat at all while wearing it in the rain? Or is it fairly breathable?

Awesome cookie, glad to see it kept you dry, the most important thing in regards to rain gear. Did it make you sweat at all while wearing it in the rain? Or is it fairly breathable?

Thanks man! I did not sweat but I did feel warm when I tightened the neck. Was glad to see that while loosening the neck I still stayed dry.

Breathable is a tough one....I don't think it's as breathable as something with one layer and really light weight (given the fact that this has a nice lining and is superb at blocking wind). I would be interested to see if this is too warm for a summer shower. Offhand, I tend to think it would be.

Nice thoughts Cookie, I think the liner is a great aspect because if it warm enough out to need a breathable jacket I would usually just get wet instead. In colder rain I would prefer the liner just to have a barrier in between you and the jacket material, also cuts down on sweating from touching the waterproof fabric directly.

Thanks man! I did not sweat but I did feel warm when I tightened the neck. Was glad to see that while loosening the neck I still stayed dry.

Breathable is a tough one....I don't think it's as breathable as something with one layer and really light weight (given the fact that this has a nice lining and is superb at blocking wind). I would be interested to see if this is too warm for a summer shower. Offhand, I tend to think it would be.
That is the exact premise for my question, with the warm summers here in the midwest, it's almost as if I need one rain coat for the colder winter/fall months and one lighter for the spring/summer! Sounds like the Pro fits into the more Winter/Fall category.

That is the exact premise for my question, with the warm summers here in the midwest, it's almost as if I need one rain coat for the colder winter/fall months and one lighter for the spring/summer! Sounds like the Pro fits into the more Winter/Fall category.

I would agree with that at this point. The pants I had on were part of a lightweight Nike outfit and if I was caught in the rain in the summer I think I would go with the Nike jacket or no jacket at all.

Nice work Cookie. I haven't had the chance to test it in the rain while golfing yet, so I'm glad to hear that it works great. I've mainly used it as a wind blocking jacket and it has excelled each and every time

This jacket got put to the test a few times in the last week.
First as an every day go to jacket it upheld well in the chilly temperatures and light freezing rain that happened here last week. I didn't golf in it but I don't like heavy jackets and this is so lightweight its fallen into everyday use with ease.

Yesterday I went to the range and it was around 38 degrees with a slight breeze. Again the Cross Pro worked wonders and I felt fine the entire 45 minutes I was on the range.

I will never look forward to cool weather but at least now I don't dread it or stay inside because of it.

So I've had this jacket a few weeks now and have been able to wear it in quite a few conditions, both on and off the course. I must say, this is the nicest jacket I own. Hands down.

It is extremely waterproof (see Cookie's video, lol) and breathes extremely well too. A combo that I hadn't been able to find on my own, and I own a high end Nike Storm Fit jacket. The Nike is is comparable when it comes to keeping the water out, but it does not breathe as well. This is huge for me in the NW because we get a TON of rain in the fall and spring, when the temp is in the 40's, 50's, and 60's. Wearing a rain jacket is necessary to stay dry, but if it doesn't breathe I will sweat like crazy. It's quite frustrating. I like how quiet this jacket is too. I haven't had an issue while swinging, from noise or from it restricting my swing.

I have found some fraying on the zipper line as well, and I'll grab some pics of that this weekend. It isn't terrible, but I would be disappointed if I spent a bunch of money on a high quality jacket like this and it was fraying. Mine showed up like this, and it hasn't gotten worse which is good.

I will be wearing this all weekend, so let me know if there is anything you would like me to pay attention to.

Ohio's been windy, cold, rainy, and just overall awful in the past month.. The temps dipped enough to wear my Cross Pro jacket and man, all I can say is that my hands, legs, and head were envious the entire time that thing was on. Wind couldn't cut through it, rain was repelled, and there was very little bite around my neck from the cold.

Just an awesome performance. Can't wait to see what it's like on course.

Good stuff Jconn. I have only had the opportunity to wear mine a few times, one of them being on the driving range. It was quite cold down here this morning, and I was hoping it might stick around for a few days so I could rock my Cross gear on the course, but that doesnt seem to be the case for this weekend.

The Cross Jacket met its match tonight. It is not warm enough to use while shoveling snow. Thats ok with me, snow isnt good for golf.

Hah, at 17* that doesn't surprise me, although I gave it a run at about 25* with a hoody underneath and it was perfect.

I could see this as a nice outer layer for the really cold days. Like you said, with a hoody or something underneath. It's thin enough so it wouldn't add a ton of bulk and it should do a good job keeping the wind and moisture out. Also, it's good looking!

Good stuff Jconn. I have only had the opportunity to wear mine a few times, one of them being on the driving range. It was quite cold down here this morning, and I was hoping it might stick around for a few days so I could rock my Cross gear on the course, but that doesnt seem to be the case for this weekend.

Thanks.

Too warm to wear a jacket? Wanting the "cold" to stick around for a few days so can wear a jacket? I hate you. That is all.

I could see this as a nice outer layer for the really cold days. Like you said, with a hoody or something underneath. It's thin enough so it wouldn't add a ton of bulk and it should do a good job keeping the wind and moisture out. Also, it's good looking!

Absolutely. I'm convinced it's the best overall Jacket I own in terms of looks. Nice and sporty while being totally versatile.

Had another great opportunity to wear my jacket today! Temps in the upper 40's, winds up to 15 or so and I was walking. I had a single layer on underneath (golf shirt with swiftwick sleeves) and stayed cozy enough to enjoy the round without inhibiting my swing.

Looks like another chance to wear it again tomorrow, if I did not already have 2 of these I would definitely be in the market for another!

Back