Putting: Eyes over the ball or 1-2" back?

Eyes over the ball for me.

I've understood the theory/importance of the eyes over or slightly inside the ball for decades. What I didn't understand until last year was how eye dominance needs to be factored in to the equation. When people say they putt with "eyes over the ball" I now ask which eye? Your eyes are about 2.5" apart and since putting is a game of inches or fractions of inches, it really does matter which eye is over the ball and it should be you dominant eye, IMO.

so how do you determine eye dominance? I just googled how to do it, and it said to find an object in the distance, then make a triangle with your hands with the object in the center. now close one eye, then the other, and figure out which eye keeps the object centered the best. I just did this, and it was my right eye. is that a good way to figure it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so how do you determine eye dominance? I just googled how to do it, and it said to find an object in the distance, then make a triangle with your hands with the object in the center. now close one eye, then the other, and figure out which eye keeps the object centered the best. I just did this, and it was my right eye. is that a good way to figure it out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is how you can find eye dominance.

I mostly disagree with the 100% part of your original statement. Every teacher has theories on the proper way to putt and I wouldn't consider eyes over the ball as a "rule"; it is just a choice. Just like Dave Stockton promotes a left arm dominant stroke and not the shoulder driven stroke that you use. Pat O'Brien advocates inside the ball. Austie Rollison designed the Odyssey EyeFit system based on pros eye position related to the hosel; not the ball. Dave Pelz is also an eyes over the ball teacher.

I also am taking wisdom from people smarter than myself related to putting. As long as you understand the pros and cons of any choice you make you can have a successful putting stroke. Very few things are 100%.

If you read my post again, you will see I answer the question for me. "Always 100% over the ball". I then say that I think everybody should (and believe that).

I have always set up eyes over the ball. Cant say I have really tried much else. My eyes are over the ball and I aim at a spot 6-8" in front of the ball to hit my line.

If you read my post again, you will see I answer the question for me. "Always 100% over the ball". I then say that I think everybody should (and believe that).

I can read it both ways. And everyone should do what works best for them in my opinion. Always good to hear differing opinions though.

Think I look at the ball or possibly the back of the ball.

My new approach since end of last year is over the ball.

Try to be over the ball

Always over the ball for me.

Back