Cleveland Classic Driver - THP Preview Thread

I had a chance to hit the Classic Tour today. It is a beast! I don't know if I am consistent enough for it...but it is a strong contender for 'Zilla's next driver. I think the VR_s might have it beat, though.

Did you hit the 290 as well as that Tour 310? And if so, what did you think of it? If not, the 290 has a larger and more forgiving face for us inconsistent ones, myself included.

Did you hit the 290 as well as that Tour 310? And if so, what did you think of it? If not, the 290 has a larger and more forgiving face for us inconsistent ones, myself included.

Nope, only the 310 was in the demo area. I wouldn't mind giving the 290 a go.

Nope, only the 310 was in the demo area. I wouldn't mind giving the 290 a go.

Definitely do that! The 290 is much more forgiving than the 310, IMO.

Glad you found something that worked for you Ary. Can't wait for these to arrive.

Glad you found something that worked for you Ary. Can't wait for these to arrive.

Thanks Hawk. I only got to hit stock setups at the Demo Day, so I took a good bit of advice from JB about what shaft would hopefully work out for me. It's a little bit of a leap of faith, but I'm excited to get the club in my hands a couple of months before the competition.

For those that have hit both...What is the biggest difference you saw between the Blue and Black Kusala shafts? To me, I just preferred the stiffer tipped Black.

Not trying to go too far off topic but the ft tour was one of the most solid drivers I've ever owned. I actually hit my longest drive to date with it. I never had a problem losing it right. The only downfall was that it was no where near as forgiving on mishits as other drivers that came out around that same time. My good swings resulted in rockets, but slight mishits were just punished too severely for me. I honestly feel like the classic has a lot of the same great characteristics but with the added forgiveness that we all want.
That's a great thing to hear and knowing how good the FT-9 was first hand, I'm even more excited to get a Classic built for me.

Biggsy I like the looks of your order. I would imagine it would be a good fit for you.
Thanks, Cap.

All of the other Cleveland staffers can rest easy, I have finally put my Morgan Cup order in for this driver: Cleveland Classic 290, 10.5 degrees of loft, 44.75 inches, Miyazaki Blue 61 shaft in stiff flex, Golf Pride VDR Blue grip.
Sounds like a solid setup, Ary.

All of the other Cleveland staffers can rest easy, I have finally put my Morgan Cup order in for this driver: Cleveland Classic 290, 10.5 degrees of loft, 44.75 inches, Miyazaki Blue 61 shaft in stiff flex, Golf Pride VDR Blue grip.

That sounds like a very solid set up, I like it.

i like this setup Ary. i like it a lot.

I have been hitting a demo 10.5 290 stiff flex for past couple weeks..Wanting to buy one badly but my last round with it has me second guessing. For some reason it had little distance , hit a ton of fairways but short. Most likely it was the fact I was being tentative going at it, idk! But love the looks and sound and feel!

For those that have hit both...What is the biggest difference you saw between the Blue and Black Kusala shafts? To me, I just preferred the stiffer tipped Black.

Launch was higher with the Blue by a fair bit and spin went up. There's a decent bit of snap through the ball with the tip.
Black feels smoother to me due to the soft butt section and it handles the drop and drag type of driver swing extremely well.

I can't get this driver off my mind. I hit one at the NW get together and enjoyed it. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to hit different models. I need to find a shop that has all of them so I can compare side by side.

Playing my first "links" course ever today at the AC outing. Hope to mash this thing today.

With all the love this driver is getting here I went to a Cleveland demo day today and hit the Classic driver today. The rep ran me through the entire gamut of the heads and shafts and even when we found an optimal setting (290, 9 degree, stiff shaft) the numbers when I would mash it still were less than I get with my Ping K15 and the Callaway Razr Fit that I was tested yesterday. That means the K15 and the Razr are now locked in an epic death match. Both give me far better numbers than anything else I've hit.

I went to my lesson today and talked with Josh a bit about this driver, and he thinks it would be a good fit for me. The one concern he had was the lightweight shaft. He doesn't think I need a shaft as heavy as the one I am playing now, but not one as light as what is in it. He is going to get me on the Mizuno shaft optimizer and see what it says. He is thinking maybe one of the Kasula series. Man I am so looking forward to this.

I tried to love this club but I just couldn't get the right numbers regardless of what the Cleveland guys setup for me. :(

Took the dive today after a demo day yesterday. Purchased a 270 cc classic with a regular shaft. I hit all the new stuff, most of them more than once but this one felt right. It's a beautiful club...hope it performs as well as it looks.

I went to my lesson today and talked with Josh a bit about this driver, and he thinks it would be a good fit for me. The one concern he had was the lightweight shaft. He doesn't think I need a shaft as heavy as the one I am playing now, but not one as light as what is in it. He is going to get me on the Mizuno shaft optimizer and see what it says. He is thinking maybe one of the Kasula series. Man I am so looking forward to this.

I would say give the shaft a try. I have yet to get numbers on it, but honestly I am one of the most aggressive swingers that I know and the two rounds I played with the 290 were great. I was amazed how well this shaft held up and how great it felt. Just my two cents. Once I get actual numbers my tune may change, but I didn't see anything out of my ball flight that I didn't like.

I'd love to see these start showing up this week.

Last edited:
On the front 9 Saturday afternoon I was hitting my Classic REAL well. Golf4life Buck and Jeremy can attest, I was hitting a slight fade from right to left and I was in the fairway or just off of the fairway for that front 9. Too bad the round was LONG and I was getting tired and hungry, or I might have hit it better on the back...but then again I wasn't hitting anything well on the back, LOL. Golf4life, after questioning whether the Classic or the Fit was the right driver for me, said after a couple drives, "Yeah, that Classic seems to work really well for you." Glad I made the right choice.

On the front 9 Saturday afternoon I was hitting my Classic REAL well. Golf4life Buck and Jeremy can attest, I was hitting a slight fade from right to left and I was in the fairway or just off of the fairway for that front 9. Too bad the round was LONG and I was getting tired and hungry, or I might have hit it better on the back...but then again I wasn't hitting anything well on the back, LOL. Golf4life, after questioning whether the Classic or the Fit was the right driver for me, said after a couple drives, "Yeah, that Classic seems to work really well for you." Glad I made the right choice.

I am hitting my drives all over the place right now. I'm not blaming the club, just noting there is a limit to its forgiveness :act-up:. Yesterday was one of those days the ball kept curving the wrong direction. Try to play a fade; hook it into the creek. Try to hit a nice draw; push fade into a bunker. But, I was playing with some young guys playing an R11S and an RBZ, and I kept pace with them off the tee all day long.

Played 36 with the Classic 290 this weekend and it was a little up and down to say the least.

Hit 11 of 14 fairways on Saturday with a good number of them being nice high draws in the range of 265-280. I had a couple of mishits (high on toe)as well that also ended up in the fairway but only about 240ish. Couldn't get up and down at all either, but that is another story.

Sunday was different. All be it not the Classic's fault. I was just off. Hit the first fairway with a nice straight drive and all seemed to be well. On 3, I hit a high slice OB and took a snowman. Hit another fade into a hazard on 8. Dead pull into red stakes on 10. On 18, hit into 10 fairway right (which wasnt too bad of a result) but not even close to where I was aiming. Very frustrated by the end of the round. Ended up hitting 6 of 14 fairways, but my misses were really bad. I had been very consistent and everything has been easy up until this point with the Classic. Worst part is I lost 3 balls! The good news is that I hit my 588 CB's real good. :)

I am hitting my drives all over the place right now. I'm not blaming the club, just noting there is a limit to its forgiveness :act-up:. Yesterday was one of those days the ball kept curving the wrong direction. Try to play a fade; hook it into the creek. Try to hit a nice draw; push fade into a bunker. But, I was playing with some young guys playing an R11S and an RBZ, and I kept pace with them off the tee all day long.

Yes, there is definitely a limit to this driver's forgiveness...if you put a really bad swing on it (like any driver) it's going to do funny things. But it definitely is just as long as anything in the market, IMO.

Played 36 with the Classic 290 this weekend and it was a little up and down to say the least.

Hit 11 of 14 fairways on Saturday with a good number of them being nice high draws in the range of 265-280. I had a couple of mishits (high on toe)as well that also ended up in the fairway but only about 240ish. Couldn't get up and down at all either, but that is another story.

Sunday was different. All be it not the Classic's fault. I was just off. Hit the first fairway with a nice straight drive and all seemed to be well. On 3, I hit a high slice OB and took a snowman. Hit another fade into a hazard on 8. Dead pull into red stakes on 10. On 18, hit into 10 fairway right (which wasnt too bad of a result) but not even close to where I was aiming. Very frustrated by the end of the round. Ended up hitting 6 of 14 fairways, but my misses were really bad. I had been very consistent and everything has been easy up until this point with the Classic. Worst part is I lost 3 balls! The good news is that I hit my 588 CB's real good. :)

Yep, I know the feeling. The swing can get wonky and your driving accuracy goes out the window. It'll come back, though. Glad you hit the 588s well!

Back