CapC

Reaction score
Handicap
I received my first lesson today with an actual PGA coach. Wow. That is all I can really say.

The coach told me I have a great swing but am doing a few things very wrong. Firstly he corrected two things that I have lived by pertaining to alignment and my swing. These were taught to me growing up by high school coach and the gentleman my father took lessons from when I was a kid (I would listen in on the lessons and replicate from a close distance).

1) I was taught to align my feet and shoulders to the target and keep a straight club face. This actually was causing my alignment to be off to the right, since I have been doing this since I was a kid he told me to compensate (he used some word I can't remember) my mind essentially kicked into subconscious and would make the ball come right to left. Now the goal is correcting my subconscious as my body now properly aligned is still compensating causing me to be left of the target.

2) And this one blew my mind. I have always been told to on my back swing roll my left foot... not only roll my foot but exaggerate the roll. I have been told this by multiple people and made a point to exaggerate it on every single swing. It was ingrained and part of my natural swing. The result was my body shifting slightly back and away from the ball causing me to hit fat.

These are two things if I had never had a lesson I would have repeated for the remainder of my life. The coach provided me several drills and I will be meeting with him again next Friday.

Was the cost worth it?

Essentially 4x 45min lessons (paid as bundle or individually) at $40 a pop and you get one free.

160/5 = 32
5 free range tokens to practice between now and our next lesson at 5 bucks a pop = 25 (that again, I'd likely have spent anyway).

So essentially this lesson cost me, yes $7. Best decision I've made to improve my game ever, hands down. Clicking well with the coach, seems like a good fit. Very excited to practice some of the drills he taught me as well (not to mention increasing my 8 iron from 130 to 150-160 as I'm no longer losing all of my swing power by hitting it fat consistently due to the foot roll.)

Overall, I am very very pleased.

Best advice to you since you seemed to have enjoyed the lesson and got a lot from it is to stick with it. Don't just stop at 4 or 5. It should take at least double that to get you in a position so that you have a good idea of what you need to do and how to fix it when you don't. The best thing to ask the pro is 'why'. "Why should I align this way?" "Why should the club be here at the top?" When you learn the answers to what he is teaching you, you will be able to diagnose and fix problems as they occur on the course. So instead of suffering through a bad round, you can correct it yourself within a few holes

Great advice thank you.

I'm not planning to stop actually. I plan to continue 1 a week for maybe 2 months then drop to 2 a month and eventually 1 a month. I plan to continue Atleast 1 a month for the foreseeable future.

Sounds like you've found a great deal!

~Rock

Great advice thank you.

I'm not planning to stop actually. I plan to continue 1 a week for maybe 2 months then drop to 2 a month and eventually 1 a month. I plan to continue Atleast 1 a month for the foreseeable future.

great plan, I am very envious of that deal you got on those lessons

tapping and talking from Tapatalk

Can't go wrong there! I'm in the process of deciding when and who as far as lessons go. Would be a no brainer if I was in your shoes!

Back