Customer Service... Which Companies Get It?

If the TM is the same as the one here, he will be busy. Most courses have some sort of connection to TM and/or Adidas. Like I said, we sort of got special treatment because of our GM, but for the most part he always seemed to be on the go, but not going to get much deeper into that because that is an individual an not necessarily the best representative of the company who has seemed to be nothing except amazing to members here.

Great timing. I just got off the phone with a GM at another course who told me all the rep's he deals with are really snowed under right now. March up here has been crazy busy, first time in many years. I'm a huge fan of TM and have no doubt they hire quality people.

I think somebody has already said it, but the first people you gotta get on board is FJ. Their gloves are always flying off the shelf!

I wonder how many cows they kill in a year???

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Great timing. I just got off the phone with a GM at another course who told me all the rep's he deals with are really snowed under right now. March up here has been crazy busy, first time in many years. I'm a huge fan of TM and have no doubt they hire quality people.

Completely agree. Makes it difficult for you with them being swamped, but great to see the golf industry busy again. Think a lot of people under estimate the behind the scenes stuff in the golf industry.

This could be in small part because of the past history with the club you are working with and who you took over from. It could be poor reps in that area or a miltitude of other things. I don't think we can really judge the OEM's on the lack of response your getting. I do like RenRen's idea of trying to get Scor.

I think somebody has already said it, but the first people you gotta get on board is FJ. Their gloves are always flying off the shelf!

I wonder how many cows they kill in a year???

Hirzl gloves open peoples eyes.

Hirzl gloves open peoples eyes.

We're not talking about brands that we get to have OUR eyes opened to here on THP. We're talking about brands that Joe Schmoe is gonna buy OTR at a club pro shop. HIRZL would have as much dust on them as the SCOR wedges I mentioned earlier.

We're not talking about brands that we get to have OUR eyes opened to here on THP. We're talking about brands that Joe Schmoe is gonna buy OTR at a club pro shop. HIRZL would have as much dust on them as the SCOR wedges I mentioned earlier.

This is sad, but true. The average consumer who buys in a golf shop is going to look at the brands he knows/trust.

Demo Day season is upon us. Reps will probably be unavailable for the next 6 weeks or so. I would be patient with them.

The fact that Bridgestone was your best experience, doesn't surprise me in the least. Since coming to THP!, I have absolutely warmed to Bridgestone's products, just based on how they treat their customer base, and better yet, how they attract NEW customers, by being open, assessable, and FAST. I took their online ball fit one evening. Punched in my information, but I had some questions. I filled out the form, hit submit, forgot all about it. The next morning, a Bridgestone Rep emailed me and said that they didn't get all of my information and that they wanted to double check a few things and to get in contact with them, because they wanted to get my fitting right. That said a lot to me. And, I have been gaming Stoney balls since. I have heard a few horror stories re: Callaway, Ping and TaylorMade, while I was researching what it would take to open a golf shop myself. I think their focus is on the big dogs (Dicks, Golf Galaxy, etc) and less and less on mom and pop shops or course pro-shops.

Good luck.

This could be in small part because of the past history with the club you are working with and who you took over from. It could be poor reps in that area or a miltitude of other things. I don't think we can really judge the OEM's on the lack of response your getting. I do like RenRen's idea of trying to get Scor.

This club never has had a real proshop, they just never had anyone interested in dealing with it before. The new group on this board seem's pretty excited about making wide sweeping changes through out the club, some I agree with and others not so much. My plate is pretty full right now with all these things such as setting up GHIN, expanding the kitchen, hiring beer cart girls (enjoying that one, lol), revamping a lot of the record keeping for tracking sells and setting up tourneys for the season. This is just one of many projects, but a very important one to the members it seem's. If things sell quickly I'm a hero, but if not... zero.

My favorite shops have three or four of the big brands and usually one smaller brand that they can forge a really good relationship with.. and pitch to the people out there that want something a bit different.

You wouldn't want to add three or four small putter companies... but being known as the ONE place to get a special type of putter around your area is a good thing... some people will be willing to try it out if you really believe in the product and know it well.

I wonder if a company like scor would be willing to let a proshop have a couple of wedges that they could let golfers demo in order to get better name recognition and then have a system where they could order clubs through the shop giving a slight cut to the pro shop for bringing them the sale.

Yes, SCOR does that. They send out a black plastic case that contains what they call the SCOR fitting system. I think they may require the person there (head pro or something) to be trained in fitting someone. At my home course, my pro got trained from a regional SCOR rep on how to fit someone to them and there are now 3 or 4 guys there playing SCOR's.

For such a niche product, you must have someone that understands and can explain the concept in addition to fitting since everything will be a custom order for SCOR.

Yes, SCOR does that. They send out a black plastic case that contains what they call the SCOR fitting system. I think they may require the person there (head pro or something) to be trained in fitting someone. At my home course, my pro got trained from a regional SCOR rep on how to fit someone to them and there are now 3 or 4 guys there playing SCOR's.

For such a niche product, you must have someone that understands and can explain the concept in addition to fitting since everything will be a custom order for SCOR.

This touches on my thought, duey will there be someone there to fit the clubs to the customers? If people are only buying clubs off the rack there may be negative feedback on the clubs purchased from you and it will hinder future resales to todays customers.
I would personally contact other similar sized clubs and see what they carry and then what are they really selling of those items they do carry. I would not try to off too many options initiallly. JMO

Sorry to say, SCOR would sit on the shelf and collect dust in a Pro Shop!

PING is great all around I'd say. But be careful with them. One slip up and they'll take your contract and run it through the shredder. ie. No matter what, do not include their product in a sale, prize, give away, or otherwise unless you talk to someone ahead of time and get the go ahead in writing!

Leilehua GC lost their PING contract after a local PING rep gave them the go ahead to include their products in a Christmas sale. Leilehua was absorbing the overhead and had got the thumbs up from the local rep but PING HQ caught wind and pulled ALL their stuff off the racks!

Wait... PING can pull stuff off the racks at a golf shop that already owns the clubs?

Good luck with this endeavor Duey...hopefully it winds up being somewhat fun...:D

Wait... PING can pull stuff off the racks at a golf shop that already owns the clubs?

If Ping can prove it's somehow breach of contract, they can pull their product from the store. Sometimes Ping would have to pay the club back, other times the club would have to take the lose for the product.

This touches on my thought, duey will there be someone there to fit the clubs to the customers? If people are only buying clubs off the rack there may be negative feedback on the clubs purchased from you and it will hinder future resales to todays customers.
I would personally contact other similar sized clubs and see what they carry and then what are they really selling of those items they do carry. I would not try to off too many options initiallly. JMO

All sound advise, thanks DD. Initially we will be very limited on what we carry and some what grow into the business, if possible. I honestly don't have a clue what kind of numbers we will have to buy, but all of that should be answered very shortly. I myself would rather just carry a large selection of balls, towels, clothes and small item's along with a few putters and the like, staying out of the club lines, but we will see where everything falls.

Good luck with this endeavor Duey...hopefully it winds up being somewhat fun...:D

Thanks Dogman. If anything describes me it's "change is fun". I like new challenges and this one should give me a good "Fix" for a while, lol.

Something else to consider, and I haven't seen it mentioned is matching the product selection to your members financial bracket. If you have a lot of middle class members for example, you will probably sell more balls in the $20-$30 dollar a dozen range than balls that go for $45-$50 a dozen. Same with clubs and other accessories. Have you Checked with Wilson Staff? Excellent product at a fair price

SeeMore. Fantastic customer service.

+1, I wish they made other clubs, I'd buy them from them in a heartbeat. They rock. They get it. Period!!!

Back