What most influences your golf game?

malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
What one (or two) thing you do during a round most influences your success from tee to tee? And, what one thing totally destroys your game, even momentarily?

Concentration, for both.

Focus and attitude for both go a long way, but some days I just have it while other days nothing seem's to help.

How short my memory is. Whether I groove a swing or hit one OB, the next shot is a completely new shot and that last one is over with. This requires concentration and a positive attitude too.

I have really had to learn to have a short memory and forget bad holes when move on to the next one. I also have learned not to linger over a shot too long, if I do I starting thinking about too much and that never works out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remembering to let the ball get in the way and to relax everything I can and give it a smooth swing. Hitting at the ball and trying to muscle it to my intended target is iffy at best.

My attitude, but it is getting better. A few bad shots or a bad hole after playing a few good ones will really get me down. I have definitely gotten a lot better tho. It's something I've been working on pretty hard.

Also another thing that hurts me which I've worked on as well is trying to pull off shots I shouldn't be. I've been a lot better at taking my medicine and playing for par or bogey instead of trying to pull off the perfect shot playing for birdie.

I need to hit that first good pure strike to help remind me of what I should be concentrating on.

Also another thing that hurts me which I've worked on as well is trying to pull off shots I shouldn't be. I've been a lot better at taking my medicine and playing for par or bogey instead of trying to pull off the perfect shot playing for birdie.

Agree.

I do not "go for" the 245yrd second shot over water on a par 5, only to hope for a chance at an eagle or birdie. I will lay up and focus on staying within my game and enjoy the round.

Loose and jovial between shots and concentration above the ball. Uptight playing partners drive me nuts.

Slow play kills my game. I can deal with it, but I mentally know I have no chance of going low that day. Too much time in between shots and I get preoccupied with other things around me, conversation, checking my email, wildlife, etc.

Slow play kills my game. I can deal with it, but I mentally know I have no chance of going low that day. Too much time in between shots and I get preoccupied with other things around me, conversation, checking my email, wildlife, etc.

Should have seen him jump when the alligator moved in Fl he was taking a pic of. Lol

I haven't figured out that magical component that helps me play better, but two things that make my game go south are course management and focus. Lack of confidence to recover from a bad shot, or a bad hole, or a bad round doesn't help either.

My brain.

It's all mental for me. I either get frustrated and let it spiral into a disaster and/or I get way too hard on myself when every shot isn't perfect. My best rounds are when I put no pressure on myself and/or I stay focused and don't let bad shots rattle me. Eventually I figure out a way to put together a decent round if I don't get in my own way. I'm working on it, but it's an ongoing thing. Now I'm taking lessons and am focusing on improving my swing, which I hope helps me stay focused and better realize why my swing is off.

It is a golf swing, not a golf hit. This pretty much answers both questions in the OP.

execution of previous shot and remembering certain things that really clicked.

I just play, I either have it or I don't. If I don't then I work on keeping it together. If I got it, I just keep doing what I do.

Staying concentrated yet relaxed and keeping my focus

Both can be my success or down fall

Loss of Concentration/Focus, which usually stems from someone wanting to chat, Once I get out of the cart chatty time is over for me, unfortunately sometimes not for others

I have no idea really, sometimes the shots come easy and everything seems to click and sometimes out of the blue comes a golfer I have never met. I suspect it all relates to how rested I am though.

Back