Ping i20 Irons Review - Forum Testing Review Thread

Hope you can work through everything ST.

Have time for 9 tomorrow. Can't wait!

Nope, C Tapers which are heavier which should then cause a fade to start as my tempo tries to keep up.
FWIW the pro said I'd have to do some fairly signifigant changes to my swing to get them to work, which I'm not interested in. Still debating but I'm not enthralled like I was when I first started demoing them.

Why and how would you have to change your swing to make them work?

Siri does my posting for me using Tapatalk.

Why and how would you have to change your swing to make them work?

Tempo change, more foward shaft lean and a steeper attack angle through a more upright swing.
Tempo isn't right to create the proper whip and I need to get down more to get the mass of the club behind the ball properly with these. At least that's what he saw in the video he took.

I've found that tighter lies mahe these clubs work great. Have not hit from deep South rough yet since the Bermuda has just started growing here in the South. I guess I'll know soon..

I've found that tighter lies mahe these clubs work great. Have not hit from deep South rough yet since the Bermuda has just started growing here in the South. I guess I'll know soon..

You guys and that crazy bermuda grass. In the north the grass is now growing and out of the rough i20s have been great. I've had to worsen my lie a few times so I could get some decent grass behind the ball. So far so good. Off thin lies same story, no issues at all.

Tempo change, more foward shaft lean and a steeper attack angle through a more upright swing.
Tempo isn't right to create the proper whip and I need to get down more to get the mass of the club behind the ball properly with these. At least that's what he saw in the video he took.

Maybe something other than the C Tapers might be a solution too? When I got my driver fitting, I was talking to the fitter(top 100) for a good amount of time about the i20's and the different shaft options. I mentioned the C tapers and he told me they aren't right for everyone. He said you need a certain swing to utilize them correctly. Just my 2cents.

You guys and that crazy bermuda grass. In the north the grass is now growing and out of the rough i20s have been great. I've had to worsen my lie a few times so I could get some decent grass behind the ball. So far so good. Off thin lies same story, no issues at all.

I hit a few out of some heavier rough the last time out. The shots turned out great.

Maybe something other than the C Tapers might be a solution too? When I got my driver fitting, I was talking to the fitter(top 100) for a good amount of time about the i20's and the different shaft options. I mentioned the C tapers and he told me they aren't right for everyone. He said you need a certain swing to utilize them correctly. Just my 2cents.

Sounds like a fitting thing. In my time with the i20s I haven't sniffed a directional bias.

Off to the course for a quick 9.

Would someone please explain to me what the whole "cushion" thing is with Ping's irons? I've seen this term tossed around a few times and have no clue what it means and what it does.

Thanks y'all!!

Would someone please explain to me what the whole "cushion" thing is with Ping's irons? I've seen this term tossed around a few times and have no clue what it means and what it does.

Thanks y'all!!

PING's equivalent to the Dynamic Gold Sensicore insert. Meant to dull vibrations.

Thank you sir! That's all I needed to know. :)

No problemo!

I was hoping to get out today but we are now up to 25mph winds....um....I'll get back to you on that one.

With a cc to the Happy Joy Joy Thread, I just got the word - the new set with CFS is on the truck for delivery today. Pretty stoked to play with the CFS, but really pumped to put that 4i into action. Sucks I'm slammed at work - may be this weekend until I can get them dirty. Wonder if I'll get the "new" finish...

No problemo!

I was hoping to get out today but we are now up to 25mph winds....um....I'll get back to you on that one.

I played in those winds Tuesday. Gives you lots of practice. Haha

formerly butters35

We've had those 25 MPH winds here since last week. Its awful.

Absolutely agree. I was skeptical of them at first since I couldn't hit before ordering and that turned out to be the right call. Moving from my standard DG SL's was not the correct choice.

Sounds like a fitting thing. In my time with the i20s I haven't sniffed a directional bias.

Equally agree with it being a fitting mishap. It's also from not doing my research. Irons with the COG that sit above the ball and better toe forgiveness are not for Tuna.

Oh well. Shiny things for the marketplace/the bay tomorrow as confirmed by my diabolical round this morning.

you want to try playing in them most of the season,we are right on the coast i.e links course and its like that 70% of the season,when we do get carm weather we cant play golf we dont no how to

you want to try playing in them most of the season,we are right on the coast i.e links course and its like that 70% of the season,when we do get carm weather we cant play golf we dont no how to

I reckon you should move to one of the southern states here in the USA. Like Texas. Heck with that 70% windy stuff.

I played in those winds Tuesday. Gives you lots of practice. Haha

formerly butters35

Indeed it would lol

Agreed. I'm tempted to though since I have the G20 driver and fairway to put through their paces too...but I don't want to be pissed the whole time either.

Absolutely agree. I was skeptical of them at first since I couldn't hit before ordering and that turned out to be the right call. Moving from my standard DG SL's was not the correct choice.

Equally agree with it being a fitting mishap. It's also from not doing my research. Irons with the COG that sit above the ball and better toe forgiveness are not for Tuna.

Oh well. Shiny things for the marketplace/the bay tomorrow as confirmed by my diabolical round this morning.

That sucks Tuna. Badly, sorry to hear that buddy.

If it makes you feel better, I'll have a lizard HC for ya soon.

Bummer Tuna. I certainly have the swing (repeatable and speed) to hit C-Tapers, as I have tested them before, but I don't think they are for everyone. Not even close. I hate to see them come and go so quickly as I rather enjoy this iron set. I'm pretty pleased with my plain old stock CFS shafts. I now have 6 rounds of golf under my belt and in the last three have hit 14, 16, 16 Greens in regulation. I never dispute on course results. I think it's great that guys spend tons of time on launch monitors and finding the right grinds, etc.....but that means very little to me on the golf course. I also play on Bent grass, Bermuda grass, some hybrids. I play out of thick rough, Bermuda rough, you name it and have had no issues with these irons at all when it comes to distance and dispersion.

Bummer Tuna. I certainly have the swing (repeatable and speed) to hit C-Tapers, as I have tested them before, but I don't think they are for everyone. Not even close. I hate to see them come and go so quickly as I rather enjoy this iron set. I'm pretty pleased with my plain old stock CFS shafts. I now have 6 rounds of golf under my belt and in the last three have hit 14, 16, 16 Greens in regulation. I never dispute on course results. I think it's great that guys spend tons of time on launch monitors and finding the right grinds, etc.....but that means very little to me on the golf course. I also play on Bent grass, Bermuda grass, some hybrids. I play out of thick rough, Bermuda rough, you name it and have had no issues with these irons at all when it comes to distance and dispersion.

Testify! Im still of the opinion that the stock CFS shafts are the absolute best combination with the i20 heads.

Testify! Im still of the opinion that the stock CFS shafts are the absolute best combination with the i20 heads.

Yeah, they kind of know what they're doing when it comes to head/shaft pairings.

That sucks Tuna. Badly, sorry to hear that buddy.

If it makes you feel better, I'll have a lizard HC for ya soon.

Eh well.
After a terrible round this morning and a lack of sleep, that frankly makes my day actually. Cheers!

Repeatable and speed isn't the problem in this instance, it's just the profile is wrong which I should have known (90 with a 6 iron, consistent results with a DG).

On the other hand I have learned a number of things which I believe is what makes these a great set for some and a bad set for me
- I have never seen an iron that performs better on toe strikes. When I deliberately missed towards the toe, my results actually got better. Unfortunately if I'm not center, I'm on the heel which I don't think is the strength of these heads
- The COG on these is actually higher then the center of the golf ball. People who hit down more then I or are true diggers like Chunky are going to murder these things. I like a lower COG with all the weight down low as well for my thin shots.
- Seriously think before you switch out the CFS shaft. I'm a pretty big snob when it comes to shafts but this is really the place where the stock shaft shines. It might not be the best for everyone but it's pretty darn good. Have a good reason to switch them out.

All in all I learned some lessons which are pretty good for me and my hoing over all. I can literally feel the phantom JB head smacking me in the back of the head for switching out irons that work well for ones that might work well. I know I wanted more forgiveness for when I'm playing less next season but I don't think I went about it the correct way. Luckily I believe I have the solution.

I hit the CFS in regular and stiff yesterday and the regular was much better for me. More distance and better feel with tight dispersion. Swing speed was 74-80 and distance was 150 with is a club longer than my current set even though the lofts are the same. Only have 2 questions left to figure out: 1) whether to hardstep the regular and 2) 4 iron or i20 hybrid.

Those are some killer GIRs TC. Isn't it great when you don't feel you have to tinker with your iron set to get them to work for you? Hit 9 today and I am really dialing in the i20s, even shaped 2 shots and I never try that stuff.

You guys are making me want to hit em. Got the right fit for my needs with these bad boys or I'd be tempted to one day by some pulls.

Eh well.
After a terrible round this morning and a lack of sleep, that frankly makes my day actually. Cheers!

Repeatable and speed isn't the problem in this instance, it's just the profile is wrong which I should have known (90 with a 6 iron, consistent results with a DG).

On the other hand I have learned a number of things which I believe is what makes these a great set for some and a bad set for me
- I have never seen an iron that performs better on toe strikes. When I deliberately missed towards the toe, my results actually got better. Unfortunately if I'm not center, I'm on the heel which I don't think is the strength of these heads
- The COG on these is actually higher then the center of the golf ball. People who hit down more then I or are true diggers like Chunky are going to murder these things. I like a lower COG with all the weight down low as well for my thin shots.
- Seriously think before you switch out the CFS shaft. I'm a pretty big snob when it comes to shafts but this is really the place where the stock shaft shines. It might not be the best for everyone but it's pretty darn good. Have a good reason to switch them out.

All in all I learned some lessons which are pretty good for me and my hoing over all. I can literally feel the phantom JB head smacking me in the back of the head for switching out irons that work well for ones that might work well. I know I wanted more forgiveness for when I'm playing less next season but I don't think I went about it the correct way. Luckily I believe I have the solution.

That blows ST. Don't think a different shaft would salvage them for you?

Back