PING G Irons Preview

Just looking at the back of these irons with the core "eye", it would seem likely in order to get a good hit or feel one must hit the center of the face which corresponds to the center of the eye. So a slightly off center hits would produce a shot with decreased distance and forgiveness....or am I missing something? If that's the case, one must hit these irons very accurately.

I can assure you I am not a consistent striker of the ball. I use all of the clubface. When I hit the GMax (same "eye" concept) I was more consistently hitting them in the center area as recorded by impact tape, but I did hit some out on the toe and they felt better than the competition on similar hits. When I later compared the G and GMax, I did not have tape, but the offcenter performance and sensations were similar. I got good, strong feedback that I was off center, but the feedback was not unpleasant and results were surprisingly good.

Twelve days and counting until mine arrive. . . .

I played G2, G5, G10, G15, G20, and G25's which I traded in for my Callaway Apex. No going back now as G Series irons look very different to me after gaming Apex irons for the last two years. I still love the raw metal finish of the Ping irons I mentioned and played (I really liked the G10's and played some amazing golf with them). This new G series, which does not have a number, seems like it's a departure for Ping in terms of the finish. I hit them and was uninspired when compared to what I already have. But I'm a biased Callaway fanboy now. 3 years ago I followed Mark Calcavecchia around for the final round of the Toshiba Classic in Newport Beach. He was playing G5 irons (at the time the current G iron was the G25)...he happened to be interviewed that week and he said that he rarely switched his irons. He felt that technology moved much slower with irons than it did with woods - I thought this was interesting and something I'd pass along. I LOVE Ping as a company, but I'm not a huge fan of the look of the new G series and I HATE the turbulator look on the head, I get that it's an aid for alignment but I don't care for it. I think the Titleist and/or current Callaway Big Bertha heads are the best looking ever..one shiny, the other muted...

Just finished my second round with the G irons. I'm a certified club ho and I will say that in terms of feel, forgiveness and distance, the G's are my favorites. I also have the XR OS irons which have forgiveness and distance but nowhere near the feel of the G's. When looking down at address the G's have a relatively thin profile for a GI iron. The feel off the face is softer than most other GI irons I've played . Feels almost forged striking a Wilson Staff Duo ball. I have the AWT 2.0 shafts which produced a nice high ball flight with no lost of distance. Chipping around the greens with the SW was very good. The SW has a nice sized head, not big like the XR OS or G30. All in all, I hope to keep my hoing at bay and play these all season.

They're here! I will provide some impressions after the Thursday night sim league.

Hit my PW so dang well in Alabama just placed an order for the matching AW... Probably will go 2 wedges above that, but need a solid 100/105 club... I'm really looking forward to spending more time with these clubs... Other than how fast the faces wear, i'm really happy with them. For just 3 rounds, it looked like i had played a whole season with them.

Back