Cleveland 588 CB Forged Irons

I have only had one full range session in with the 588's, but in the short time I have spent with them, I am impressed with the level of forgiveness. I'm sure there are more forgiving sets out there, but any average ball striker should be able to hit these with good results.

That seals it for me, I am going with the Blacks for TMC....hahahaha...but seriously, I am going with the Blacks.

That seals it for me, I am going with the Blacks for TMC....hahahaha...but seriously, I am going with the Blacks.
You will love them yorkem!

HAHA. I am a decent ball striker, but not great. My misses are generally slightly out on the toe. This is why I was a bit concerned about stepping up to a more players type iron from the Burner 2.0's. After yesterdays range session, I am far less concerned. It is early, and I haven't even played a round with them yet, but I feel confident in them after pounding out 2 buckets last night. My main issue will be figuring out my new distances over the next few rounds. As for the Blacks... I just love the looks and they are long and straight so I can totally understand why you would go that route.

You will love them yorkem!

I am sure I will.

HAHA. I am a decent ball striker, but not great. My misses are generally slightly out on the toe. This is why I was a bit concerned about stepping up to a more players type iron from the Burner 2.0's. After yesterdays range session, I am far less concerned. It is early, and I haven't even played a round with them yet, but I feel confident in them after pounding out 2 buckets last night. My main issue will be figuring out my new distances over the next few rounds. As for the Blacks... I just love the looks and they are long and straight so I can totally understand why you would go that route.

I just think I will be more comfortable right from the start because they will be more similar to what I am used to playing.

If one has irons that are properly fit to them, one can all but eliminate heel and toe strikes. The goal is to get a setup that fitns one's repeatable swing in order to consistently strike the center of the club face. I don't care what iron head is on the end of the shaft, if you are consistently striking the middle of the clubface then it really doesn't matter. I suspect that if someone needs a little help getting the ball up, then a GI iron is beneficial.

If one has irons that are properly fit to them, one can all but eliminate heel and toe strikes. The goal is to get a setup that fitns one's repeatable swing in order to consistently strike the center of the club face. I don't care what iron head is on the end of the shaft, if you are consistently striking the middle of the clubface then it really doesn't matter. I suspect that if someone needs a little help getting the ball up, then a GI iron is beneficial.

Words of wisdom as always. Listen to this man.

I like this train of thought. The forgiveness (although more limited the GI irons) built in these clubs helps if youre not on the sweetspto each time (which most of us arent). Your bad swings will just be that. I just wish they offered the Modus LOL

I like this train of thought. The forgiveness (although more limited the GI irons) built in these clubs helps if youre not on the sweetspto each time (which most of us arent). Your bad swings will just be that. I just wish they offered the Modus LOL

You should be forced to play a few rounds with rebar as shafts. Then you might not be such a shaft snob and just go with the flow ;)

You should be forced to play a few rounds with rebar as shafts. Then you might not be such a shaft snob and just go with the flow ;)

LOL. I'm not a shaft snob, I just dont like turd shafts. HAHA.

Words of wisdom as always. Listen to this man.

Thanks TV!

I had an interesting convo with some guys from Bridgestone while in Augusta. I was talking about how I'm seeing no decrease in distance in a "player's" iron that is traditionally lofted compared to a GI iron that's stong lofted. What I was told really resonated with me. A lot of weight and mass is distributed more on the cavity of a GI iron, with the sole purpose of helping amateurs achieve "liveable" distance with a bad strike. Now, imagine if you hit the sweet spot more often, with a player's iron, well, that's where the bulk of their weight is distributed in the cavity (behind the sweet spot), therefore you see as good or better distance.

Thanks TV!

I had an interesting convo with some guys from Bridgestone while in Augusta. I was talking about how I'm seeing no decrease in distance in a "player's" iron that is traditionally lofted compared to a GI iron that's stong lofted. What I was told really resonated with me. A lot of weight and mass is distributed more on the cavity of a GI iron, with the sole purpose of helping amateurs achieve "liveable" distance with a bad strike. Now, imagine if you hit the sweet spot more often, with a player's iron, well, that's where the bulk of their weight is distributed in the cavity (behind the sweet spot), therefore you see as good or better distance.

Man, that does make sense. I wish I would've know because I would have had you ask them about the CB's for a guy like me! I'm not worried at all, just curious about their thoughts.

Man, that does make sense. I wish I would've know because I would have had you ask them about the CB's for a guy like me! I'm not worried at all, just curious about their thoughts.

I did dude! Where's all the weight in the cavity on the CB's? That's right, directly behind the sweet spot. Hence the most important thing for you is a proper fitting.

Man i feel stupid when reading this because i had no clue about it. But it's so logical :p

I did dude! Where's all the weight in the cavity on the CB's? That's right, directly behind the sweet spot. Hence the most important thing for you is a proper fitting.

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm pretty damn excited right now. My instructor will do an individual iron fitting for each iron.

Man, when I was at Golfsmith I saw the combo set and reg full CB at golfsmith. I can't wait till all you see and hit these in person. They're pretty mind bottling.

Man i feel stupid when reading this because i had no clue about it. But it's so logical :p

It's almost obvious. I felt the same way but it was a fun conversation to have.

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm pretty damn excited right now. My instructor will do an individual iron fitting for each iron.

Man, when I was at Golfsmith I saw the combo set and reg full CB at golfsmith. I can't wait till all you see and hit these in person. They're pretty mind bottling.

I'm pretty desperate to get my hands on a lefty demo dude. I have been looking locally but nothing so far.

I'm pretty desperate to get my hands on a lefty demo dude. I have been looking locally but nothing so far.

I hope you find some luck soon with that. I know in the past I've stories where a company might send out a demo, do you think Cleveland would send one to you? Just a thought.

Yes sir! Thats some interesting information!

Yes sir! Thats some interesting information!

I mean, let's be honest, you absolutely could destroy the ball with your VR blades. I didn't think you hit any GI distance irons any further at demo day. Did you?

No. I hit my VR blades farther and nearly straighter than anything Ive hit. I had a period where I didnt, but on the reg, I do hit them a very long ways. Ive been experimenting lately and its been fun.

I seriously feel like when I swing a bigger clubhead, I can feel it slow me down. I can feel the wind resistance wobble my clubface through impact. Its really hard to explain.
I mean, let's be honest, you absolutely could destroy the ball with your VR blades. I didn't think you hit any GI distance irons any further at demo day. Did you?

No. I hit my VR blades farther and nearly straighter than anything Ive hit. I had a period where I didnt, but on the reg, I do hit them a very long ways. Ive been experimenting lately and its been fun.

It's just funny that you hit them as far as you do. Marketing says you shouldn't, LOL

It's just funny that you hit them as far as you do. Marketing says you shouldn't, LOL
I know man. Smaller clubheads are good for some people, unforgiving can and is a good thing for some people. I actually like the fact that my mishits are penalized heavily. Logic says you want mishits to travel near as far, and near as straight as a normal strike would. If youre approaching this green, do you want that? I mean MOST greens are open at the front, and troubled at the sides and back. Where do you want that to happen? Where do you want to end up? NEAR as straight puts you in those bunkers, as does near as far. I dont miss by that much, and when I do, Id miss left or right of trouble. I never usually miss large enough to lose a golf ball or put me OB, and if I do, thats a poor decision on which club I pulled, not my swings fault.

Plus there is nothing worse than playing a GI iron that you normally hit 165 and you pure it to 175 or 180. That just doesnt happen with blades. GI irons encourage poor ball striking.

header_golf.jpg

Interesting thoughts TC. I really want to hit the Burner 2.0's right next to the 588's next week and compare. Early thoughts are I am losing 5 yards on short irons and 10+ on longer irons. I dont mind that at all.

I know man. Smaller clubheads are good for some people, unforgiving can and is a good thing for some people. I actually like the fact that my mishits are penalized heavily. Logic says you want mishits to travel near as far, and near as straight as a normal strike would. If youre approaching this green, do you want that? I mean MOST greens are open at the front, and troubled at the sides and back. Where do you want that to happen? Where do you want to end up? NEAR as straight puts you in those bunkers, as does near as far. I dont miss by that much, and when I do, Id miss left or right of trouble. I never usually miss large enough to lose a golf ball or put me OB, and if I do, thats a poor decision on which club I pulled, not my swings fault.

Plus there is nothing worse than playing a GI iron that you normally hit 165 and you pure it to 175 or 180. That just doesnt happen with blades. GI irons encourage poor ball striking.

I heart this whole post.

Rep added.

The Cleveland combo set is boss by the by.

Back