The Official Tiger Woods Thread

I hate that he's not playing this weekend, but don't think he was snubbed.

Nope, it's in the book. Ball can't be embedded in sand. It can be unplayable, but not embedded, which is what Tiger took it as.

He was in a jungle!! I thought it was stated on the rule sheet something about mowed areas?

He understands the importance of family?

Really?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
The guy is 37 years old. He has 3 kids with Elin. He knows what he did was wrong, and he knows that he wants his family back. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what it cost him or that he would love to have it back, so yes. You heard me correct.

Really.

The guy is 37 years old. He has 3 kids with Elin. He knows what he did was wrong, and he knows that he wants his family back. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see what it cost him or that he would love to have it back, so yes. You heard me correct.

Really.

Do you have a link where he has stated this?

u9usyma8.jpg

For those that may not know who she is or what she looks like

I've had a few glasses of Scotch and feeling generous so I will give her a 4 out of 10.

Tiger is still a d-bag.

The part I don't get is the rules should go to the least number of strokes taken away. He is allowed to take an unplayable there and take a one stroke penalty as he clearly dropped within one club distance. Instead they chose to apply a two stroke penalty. The rules official should have told him when they approached him later in the round that he couldn't get the free drop for it being embedded and had to apply a one stroke penalty for being an unplayable ball and adjust the score card accordingly.

In either case, from the article I read it was another case of someone not involved in the tournament who questioned a rules official about Tiger getting a free drop there. I am personally against people outside of the tournament who are not players whether on the course or watching TV dictating the outcome of any players score.

I've had a few glasses of Scotch and feeling generous so I will give her a 4 out of 10.

Tiger is still a d-bag.

I would let her eat crackers in my bed.

The part I don't get is the rules should go to the least number of strokes taken away. He is allowed to take an unplayable there and take a one stroke penalty as he clearly dropped within one club distance. Instead they chose to apply a two stroke penalty. The rules official should have told him when they approached him later in the round that he couldn't get the free drop for it being embedded and had to apply a one stroke penalty for being an unplayable ball and adjust the score card accordingly.

In either case, from the article I read it was another case of someone not involved in the tournament who questioned a rules official about Tiger getting a free drop there. I am personally against people outside of the tournament who are not players whether on the course or watching TV dictating the outcome of any players score.

My interpretation is that since he didn't declare it unplayable, he didn't have that opportunity.

I believe the two stroke penalty comes from him playing the next shot without verbally declaring that he is "taking an unplayable" as would have been required by the rules. Thus, two stroke are assessed for moving his ball and advancing it illegally.

What I heard on TGC was that it was two morons in the crowd who raised awareness of it to the rules official.

That isn't necessarily true. You can't fall back on the embedded ball rule (Rule 25-2) if your ball is embedded in a bunker. Lots of courses these days have sandy areas which are not bunkers, not hazards, just through the green. The PGA Tour plays the local rule which allows relief from an embedded ball through the green, even though Rule 25-2 only allows it in closely mowed areas (fairway height or closer). I don't know how the EPGA plays it, and I don't know where Tiger's ball was since I didn't see the broadcast. But a ball can certainly be embedded in it's own pitch mark in a sandy waste area and receive relief in a US PGA Tour event.

This was exactly the case with Tigers ball. He was in a sandy waste area that had some vegetation in it. The European commentators, european rules official and the US guys on the golf channel later said that the rule is the same around the world, no where do you get a free drop out of a sandy area.

I believe the two stroke penalty comes from him playing the next shot without verbally declaring that he is "taking an unplayable" as would have been required by the rules. Thus, two stroke are assessed for moving his ball and advancing it illegally.

What I heard on TGC was that it was two morons in the crowd who raised awareness of it to the rules official.

Why are the spectators morons?

While I don't think people should be able to call in because of something they saw on TV, if it was people actually there, then that's a different thing. Before someone says that more people follow him than anyone else, so there's more of a chance of someone seeing something, it wasn't that big a deal to Woods when he had the people in his gallery move that boulder out of the way. Price you pay for having the largest gallery.

And if they were "morons", then what was Eldrick, who didn't know the rule as well as a couple of morons?

Freebirdee is good for nothing more than free stuff. I never believe a word they post.

And not even that, they should be banned from the interwebs. What a stupid site. I hope they go away sooner rather than later. JB knew they looked shady from the get go.

This is just another example of a pro and his caddie not being 120% on top of the rules in every situation. IMO, you should be able to give a player and his caddie a rules quiz and have them pass with a perfect score 99% of the time. When they are not 110% sure of the rule they have the luxury of being able to call an official over to clarify. Even if the official is wrong , his ruling will stand. This sort of stuff should not happen with the huge amounts of money that are on the line. Actually , maybe that's the problem; these guys have too much money that they don't care about the purse money.

Why are the spectators morons?

While I don't think people should be able to call in because of something they saw on TV, if it was people actually there, then that's a different thing. Before someone says that more people follow him than anyone else, so there's more of a chance of someone seeing something, it wasn't that big a deal to Woods when he had the people in his gallery move that boulder out of the way. Price you pay for having the largest gallery.

And if they were "morons", then what was Eldrick, who didn't know the rule as well as a couple of morons?

My lord you guys are jumpy. They are "morons" because I wanted to see one of the two (Tiger/Rory) make the cut to make to hold my interest enough to eagerly watch TV coverage over the weekend. It was a tongue in cheek comment, loosen up a bit.

And Tiger is a moron for not knowing the rule (or for not calling in an official to verify) too, Smalls.

meh. don't really care. if i did, it's his problem. he should have known that you can't get a free drop from that. should have called an official over just to be safe, but no, he's tiger so he can do whatever he wants to do, right?

My lord you guys are jumpy. They are "morons" because I wanted to see one of the two (Tiger/Rory) make the cut to make to hold my interest enough to eagerly watch TV coverage over the weekend. It was a tongue in cheek comment, loosen up a bit.

And Tiger is a moron for not knowing the rule (or for not calling in an official to verify) too, Smalls.

Not jumpy, I just wasn't monitoring your webcam feed, so I couldn't see that your tongue was in your cheek.

All is well.

While I don't think people should be able to call in because of something they saw on TV, if it was people actually there, then that's a different thing.

Just curious, what's the difference between a TV call in vs an in person inquiry? I would think the in person would be worse, especially if there wasn't a tv camera there (obviously not the case in TW's situation) since it kinda becomes a he said/she said kinda thing.

You can't fight to make it a 1 stroke penalty after the fact, and I think Rory was less comfortable with his swing than his sticks.

I agree that Rory looked completely uncomfortable with his swing, but I thought there was definitely hints of panic when he took the Nike putter out of the bag. Have to think Scotty Cameron was liking that one.

As for Tiger- probably should have consulted a rules official to be safe, so I don't think he was snubbed.

Merged into official TW thread

I agree that Rory looked completely uncomfortable with his swing, but I thought there was definitely hints of panic when he took the Nike putter out of the bag. Have to think Scotty Cameron was liking that one.

Yeah, right up until Rory's putting didn't improve any

This was exactly the case with Tigers ball. He was in a sandy waste area that had some vegetation in it. The European commentators, european rules official and the US guys on the golf channel later said that the rule is the same around the world, no where do you get a free drop out of a sandy area.

Show me which rule mentions anything about a "sandy area" being part of any course. The golf course is made up of the teeing ground, through the green, the putting green, and hazards. Period. If an area with sand is not hazard, then it is by definition through the green.

[h=4]Through The Green[/h]Through the green’’ is the whole area of the course except:
a. The teeing ground and putting green of the hole being played; and
b. All hazards on the course.

As for Tiger- probably should have consulted a rules official to be safe, so I don't think he was snubbed.

I have to think that since his putter is a "prototype" that it is made exactly to the same specs, weight, balance, metal, feel, etc.. as his old Scotty. Wouldn't the putter be the easiest club to duplicate?

Just curious, what's the difference between a TV call in vs an in person inquiry? I would think the in person would be worse, especially if there wasn't a tv camera there (obviously not the case in TW's situation) since it kinda becomes a he said/she said kinda thing.

Again, he asked the crowd to move a boulder. I know it only happened once, but you can't have it both ways. He circumvented the rules because he had enough big guys in the boulder situation, but I assume all the Tiger fans thought that was ok. But don't get a penalty called on the guy.

Back