The Official 2016 MLB Thread

That he does. Zobrist going to be everyday 2b?

That is what I'm assuming. But I'm sure he will go to the outfield to get Baez some time at 2nd or give someone a day off. Which could be my favorite part of the team is that we have so many players that can play multiple positions

Victor Martinez looks to be driving the ball.
Hope he stays healthy and has a rebound season.

Now that the thaw has begun here, it's time for me to get fired up about baseball. Since i have no preconceived notions about how the Brewers will do this year (i'm resigned to the fact we'll be trailing the Cubs all year) anything positive is good! Hoping we find some solid pitching, since that has been a pain point the last couple years.

Now that the thaw has begun here, it's time for me to get fired up about baseball. Since i have no preconceived notions about how the Brewers will do this year (i'm resigned to the fact we'll be trailing the Cubs all year) anything positive is good! Hoping we find some solid pitching, since that has been a pain point the last couple years.

The Brewers, unfortunately, are going to be pretty awful. Them and the Reds will fight for the basement together.

The Brewers, unfortunately, are going to be pretty awful. Them and the Reds will fight for the basement together.
Yea, but i know that going in. So i can't get disappointed... Usually i think they will do fine and crap the bed in May.... I expect it, so if they don't we're doing good! Sad to see the Reds be awful as they had been perennially in the top half for the last decade in the NL central... fighting it out with St Louis.

Yea, but i know that going in. So i can't get disappointed... Usually i think they will do fine and crap the bed in May.... I expect it, so if they don't we're doing good! Sad to see the Reds be awful as they had been perennially in the top half for the last decade in the NL central... fighting it out with St Louis.

They are both rebuilding. Remember the Cubs aren't that far removed from this... Stockpile prospects and draft well that is the key to sustained success.

What do peeps think of Adam LaRoche retiring because he couldn't bring son in club house as much?

What do peeps think of Adam LaRoche retiring because he couldn't bring son in club house as much?
As s Sox fan, I'm perfectly ok with it. The clubhouse isn't a family place. Sure, bringing your kids around every once in a while is fine, but he brought him every single day. There's a quote from him about not caring much for school and that his son will learn more life lessons from being in the clubhouse. That should raise some red flags about their parenting style. Thanks for the $13 million, though!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N915A using Tapatalk

It'll be interesting to see who else says something

This was too funny!

I commend him for standing up for what he believes in and for thinking family is important. These guys are away from home for long stretches and with family and when you look back thru the history of baseball over the last several decades players kids were around the park all the time. Some even have said if it wasn't for the experience growing up they probably wouldn't have become professional baseball players themselves.

The team has the right to set rules and guidelines for when a family member can be around and I think the white sox mgmt team made a mistake in their approach. The players all enjoyed having his kid around and it seems as though he wasn't a distraction to the team.

They would not have said anything about the kid being in the clubhouse if LaRoche had done better last year than hitting .205.

It is a work place. I don't see how you expect your kid to be there every day, all the time.

Good on LaRoche for standing up for what he believes in. Pretty tough to walk away from 13M.

I commend him for standing up for what he believes in and for thinking family is important. These guys are away from home for long stretches and with family and when you look back thru the history of baseball over the last several decades players kids were around the park all the time. Some even have said if it wasn't for the experience growing up they probably wouldn't have become professional baseball players themselves.

The team has the right to set rules and guidelines for when a family member can be around and I think the white sox mgmt team made a mistake in their approach. The players all enjoyed having his kid around and it seems as though he wasn't a distraction to the team.

I agree the team can set it rules. It's pretty cut and dry when you look at like that. But the team can also adjust or relax its rules. I always hear peeps talk about the club house and good or bad it is. This could disrupt their clubhouse. It could scare away potential ball players. I'm not in the club house so I'm just guessing but I'm not sure what harm came from his son being around

They would not have said anything about the kid being in the clubhouse if LaRoche had done better last year than hitting .205.

It is a work place. I don't see how you expect your kid to be there every day, all the time.

Good on LaRoche for standing up for what he believes in. Pretty tough to walk away from 13M.

Did you really just call a baseball locker room a work place? My mom's 4 private practices are a work place, she is saving lives. These guys are playing a game and entertaining for a living.

Griffey Jr. Grew up I the club house. What if senior was told he couldn't be around. Maybe we don't get JR. Just saying....:D

Did you really just call a baseball locker room a work place? My mom's 4 private practices are a work place, she is saving lives. These guys are playing a game and entertaining for a living.

Griffey Jr. Grew up I the club house. What if senior was told he couldn't be around. Maybe we don't get JR. Just saying....:D
If golfers can claim their workday starts when they walk on the grass of the practice area...

As I understand it, they didn't say the kid couldn't be there but they didn't want him there every single day. They let the kid's entire HS team use one of their practice fields. They asked for him to be on the field/clubhouse something less than 1/2 the time. I don't think they are being unreasonable.

If golfers can claim their workday starts when they walk on the grass of the practice area...

As I understand it, they didn't say the kid couldn't be there but they didn't want him there every single day. They let the kid's entire HS team use one of their practice fields. They asked for him to be on the field/clubhouse something less than 1/2 the time. I don't think they are being unreasonable.

Yes they are!!!! Just kidding, as I said they have rules. He's a good player and seems like a great dad. And I'm sure he is set $$$$

I agree the team can set it rules. It's pretty cut and dry when you look at like that. But the team can also adjust or relax its rules. I always hear peeps talk about the club house and good or bad it is. This could disrupt their clubhouse. It could scare away potential ball players. I'm not in the club house so I'm just guessing but I'm not sure what harm came from his son being around

the distraction argument is being made by some reporters and a few ex players who also and the privilege of being around the field a lot with their dad's. From what I have read many teams have some restrictions as far as not being in the locker room after a loss, certain days like Sunday are a no go, etc.

Im im sure there maybe some guys who don't want kids running around but from Dusty Bakers kids with Giants, to some others they seem to not be a distraction from the out used looking in. In the case of Laroche The gm said he wasn't happy with him there 100% of the time or even 50% of the time and told Laroche to figure it out on what works somehwehre between those numbers and is an alteration to a verbal agreement the two had when Laroche signed with the team before last season

In the case of the white sox the team is behind Laroche and a majority have an issue with the gm and the handling of this. Some think players won't want to come to the white sox because of potential trust issues with the organization and not because kids are in the locker room.

the distraction argument is being made by some reporters and a few ex players who also and the privilege of being around the field a lot with their dad's. From what I have read many teams have some restrictions as far as not being in the locker room after a loss, certain days like Sunday are a no go, etc.

Im im sure there maybe some guys who don't want kids running around but from Dusty Bakers kids with Giants, to some others they seem to not be a distraction from the out used looking in. In the case of Laroche The gm said he wasn't happy with him there 100% of the time or even 50% of the time and told Laroche to figure it out on what works somehwehre between those numbers and is an alteration to a verbal agreement the two had when Laroche signed with the team before last season

In the case of the white sox the team is behind Laroche and a majority have an issue with the gm and the handling of this. Some think players won't want to come to the white sox because of potential trust issues with the organization and not because kids are in the locker room.
this changes my answer.

So the GM went back on his word?

Absolutely agree with the Sox. They never said he couldn't come, but just not everyday. The locker room is a place for players to prepare for the game, kids don't need to be in there every game. I played a lot of club baseball with Rafael Palmieros son and he told me he spent some time in the clubhouse as a kid, but certainly not every single game. There is a time and a place, and if LaRoche doesn't want to give up that time I commend him for it, but he just isn't going to be a White Sox player if he wants to do that.

So the GM went back on his word?

that is something that was reported a little while ago. According to Laroche he and the team had an agreement about his kid being around which led to him signing the contract and there were no reported issue this past season until during spring training when the gm came to him about reducing the amount of time he was around. The gm used the excuse it wasn't an agreement in his contract.

Back