Cobra KING F6 Irons Review & Interview

Ohhhhhh, the nickel chrome with the black PVD coating is pulling at my heartstrings.

Great review Jman

Ohhhhhh, the nickel chrome with the black PVD coating is pulling at my heartstrings.

Great review Jman

how have you seen these in person? held them in your hands? the finish is so cool. my first impression was like blown glass. so cool.

I think it's settled. I will be hitting these soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

how have you seen these in person? held them in your hands? the finish is so cool. my first impression was like blown glass. so cool.

I think it's settled. I will be hitting these soon.

I haven't seen them in hand but I'm a sucker for the look of nickel. I will be hitting these as well.

Nice review.

I haven't seen them in hand but I'm a sucker for the look of nickel. I will be hitting these as well.

You have to see them in person. They look SO MUCH BETTER than the pictures. I find that to be the case with a lot of Cobra irons lately, but these clubs look amazing in hand, and feel fantastic.

There is a lot to love about this set and the review. Man that was awesome to read. TO is awesome to talk golf technology with and i was lucky enough to tee it up with him last summer. There is something about this set that i love and i hope it catches on. I love the idea of combo sets and one that was built together with the intentions of a combo set has to stand out. At least for me it does. I hope more companies go this route with their irons

Awesome writeup James! I really enjoyed hitting the F6 in the shop, and thought they were a great feeling club. I went with a different direction based on a bit more distance/feel but these were in 2nd place. I think this setup (if given a chance by golfers) will lead to some good golf this year.

Curious how these compare to Ping G forgiveness wise.

These were the two irons that I went in to test during my fitting. I would say that in the long irons, it's pretty close. I'm guessing with the progressive nature of the Cobra set, the G are going to probably be a bit more forgiving in the 7/8 iron range.

That said, I currently play a set of PING irons, and that probably led to me hitting the G a bit better than these in their stock setup. I'm just used to the look and feel.

Awesome review and interview. Really well done. I have hit these and you touched on everything that I love about the irons.
I think this is a set that could really benefit a lot of golfers.

I have to say that if the club fairy came one night and swapped out my C200s with these, my reaction (after a confused WTH just happened moment) would probably be to pack them up and go play. They look great in hand and the 7i I swung performed very well.

ETA: I would probably also feel obliged to pick up an LTD or F6 driver to keep them company, just so they would have a familiar face in the bag with them :banana:

To be honest, I'll exchange hybrid for M2 hybrid.

That was a phenomenal review James. Full of detail and very well explained technology.

Love the TO Q&A

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

This has to be one of the best years in recent memory of iron and driver offerings. These are definitely going to be competing against the C200 and Apex CF16's for my next iron set.

This has to be one of the best years in recent memory of iron and driver offerings. These are definitely going to be competing against the C200 and Apex CF16's for my next iron set.

Great write-up Jman! One of the best on THP in recent memory.

And like Golds said: I'm adding the F6's to the list to try during my fitting, along with the C200s & Apex CF16 & maybe Srixon Z355's. Personally I love the tech being prominent in this set. I feel like there's a reason for every aspect of each club, versus "let's build a club that looks like other clubs because that's what we're comfortable doing" mentality.

Huh? I'm a bit confused...

I bought a set of Cobra F6 3-4h, 4-5h, 6-G in graphite. I hit F6 hybrid okay, but I'm more consistent with M2 hybrid. Straighter, longer easier to hit too. I might even replace my Heavenwood with 19 degree M2 hybrid, it's that easy to hit.

Nice review! Going to see these this week as Mach2 just got the set. I'll see if he'll let me swing one this week.

I bought a set of Cobra F6 3-4h, 4-5h, 6-G in graphite. I hit F6 hybrid okay, but I'm more consistent with M2 hybrid. Straighter, longer easier to hit too. I might even replace my Heavenwood with 19 degree M2 hybrid, it's that easy to hit.

Boom, gotcha, 100% on the same page now!

Nice review! Going to see these this week as Mach2 just got the set. I'll see if he'll let me swing one this week.
By all means, give em a go. Also give the King F6 driver a test drive.

Veeeeerry interesting, James.

The concept of this thread just makes so much sense, but I wonder how many people will not even give them a look because they dont look like a "normal" set?

At least for me, that would be a plus. I don't mind standing out, and a set like this would be an eye catcher and conversation starter.

Thought I'd bump this thread for the convo we have going on these. Some may have missed the review going up in the OP of this one as well.

Silly. Fun.

My wife's 7-PW-AW-SW are currently being shipped from Cobra. Hopefully USPS wont take to long to get them here. She had two choices of colour, a shockingly bright Pink or a more conservative Aqua Marine and Silver. She's gone for the later, when will manufacturers realise not all women want bright pink and would be quite happy with the same heads as mens clubs with the option of a Ladies flex shaft?

Will be interesting to see how much difference there will be between these and her AMP Cells.

Woo hoo my set arrived today! 4-GW, Red Tie 65Q4 graphite, R-flex. They fix a big mistake I made getting back into golf after an 18 year layoff - not realizing graphite iron shafts were a viable option when upgrading my ancient bag a couple years ago. Today's range session confirms it - wrist, elbow, and hand pain - gone! I love the look and feel of my new King F6s and while I was tentative getting to know them and not swinging all that well, they flat out performed for me. Just so easy to hit, every one of them. And that GW, OMG is it amazing. Jman's pics in the review are proffesional grade so I'm not going to clutter this up with a bunch of sub-standard in hand shots, but I will share one: It represents my very first swing with any club from the set, an 8 iron, and while I caught it a smidge higher than ideal, it's so centered that I'm confident my fitter knew what he was doing.
8e0731e1-adbf-4b39-ac3a-42db51be0b35_zps8xkw3h8u.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I conducted a little test comparing with my SC200 monitor of the 5 iron, 8 iron, and PW to my gamers; Rocketbladez with the stock R-flex 85 gram steel Rocketfuel shafts. Before I get into the results, I should probably put it out there that when I first played the RBladez it felt like I was cheating because they performed so well. Then again, they were replacing a 1 iron - SW vintage set of Lynx cavity backs that I was fit into in the early 90s.
Numbers:
5 iron: I averaged 6.4 more carry yards, 3.1 mph more club speed, and 2.8 mph more ball speed with the Cobra. This despite making tighter center face contact with the RBladez. The 5 iron trajectories were similar, and I would've hit a similar % of greens. I had a couple 5 irons with the Cobras where I went after it a little more and was surprised that it went so far, but they also drew a bit more than I would have wanted. I think it shows the potential there once I become more familiar.
8 iron: I averaged 7.3 more carry yards, 2.4 mph more club speed, and 3.3 mph more ball speed with the Cobra. I also made tighter center face contact with the RBladez so there's even more potential yet to find in the Cobras. The Cobra 8 iron launched about 3* higher too, and I would've hit about 15% more greens with the Cobra.
PW: Carry yards, club speed, and ball speed were basically identical with both clubs. As was the consistency of center face contact. This might be due to me never really swinging my wedges full? The Cobra PW did launch higher, on average, by about 2.5* and I would've hit the same percentage of greens, but was tighter to my my target spot with the Cobra, ie shorter birdie putts.
More to come as I get more familiar with these and get some rounds in.

Last edited:
Back