TIGolfer1996

Reaction score
Handicap
Thought about walking on at the college I'm gonna end up at, but kinda just spitballed the idea. I want to play in college more than in HS(Two years)

Tapatalkin it in on my iPhone 4S

You're gunna have to step it up if your handicap is still in the 15-20 range according to your profile. I played at a small community college and the best guys were shooting par or better, with the worse ones shooting 85-90....and that's at a community college.

I would say if you have the motivation to go all in and give it your all.... then shoot for it. I played in college for 4 years and I will say that while it is fun, you have to dedicate yourself to this and be prepared to put in the hours, especially as a walk on. If you need any advice on the things to work on that help with the advancement or have any specific questions about the college experience feel free to ask.

You're gunna have to step it up if your handicap is still in the 15-20 range according to your profile. I played at a small community college and the best guys were shooting par or better, with the worse ones shooting 85-90....and that's at a community college.

I know, I just thought that maybe it might be worth it, maybe not as a freshman so I can put in the time

I would say if you have the motivation to go all in and give it your all.... then shoot for it. I played in college for 4 years and I will say that while it is fun, you have to dedicate yourself to this and be prepared to put in the hours, especially as a walk on. If you need any advice on the things to work on that help with the advancement or have any specific questions about the college experience feel free to ask.
Thank you, where'd you play?

If you don't give it a shot, you will regret it the rest of your life.

Totally swing away!
Won't ever get off the tee without starting a backswing!
Won't clear that water hazard without selecting a club!

Okay I'm out of silly motivations :D what's the worst thing that could happen?
you don't make it.... then you know and maybe you meet some cool people

I'm gonna try to walk on when I get to college :) can't wait

and then my Dad said, "well aren't you just buckets of fish guts"

I can relate to this statement. I too, played CC golf, and then I transferred to Kansas State and tried to walk on, that was a joke! lol We played Colbert Hills, from the tips (Google the distance...nuts), over two days....I shot two GREAT rounds (76, 74) and was told, "Thanks for coming out". The Coach told us (about 30-35 guys) that if we didn't shoot par or better from the tips, he wasn't going to look at us....well that was true! lol

I'm really not trying to rain on your parade here, but you'll need to be shooting in the 70's (in most cases) to win a spot as a Walk On and have a chance and winning a scholarship the following year.

But...it's a great experience and you should give it a shot if you feel you have the game! Who am I to stop anyone from following there dreams!

I walked on in College and ended up playing only one year due to class load and GPA. Do I look back and regret that I didn't drop the fraternity I was in...YES. I have this conversation with my son on a weekly basis, trying to stress the importance of studying to obtain your goals. I'll never know what could have been, but what I do know is I enjoyed that year playing collegiate golf.

Go for it!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

College golf is no push over. At every level those boys can play. I played three years and it was very competitive. Even more so today. You need to be in the mid to low 70s to even count as a #5 guy on the team

College golf is no push over. At every level those boys can play. I played three years and it was very competitive. Even more so today. You need to be in the mid to low 70s to even count as a #5 guy on the team

Well then.....

I probably wouldn't make it.

Look, far be it for me to squash anyone's dreams but I had to spell it out. Anything is possible with proper work and dedication. You want to play college golf, go bust your hump to get where you need to be. The wrist that happens you don't make it, the upside is you'll have an improved game.

Look, far be it for me to squash anyone's dreams but I had to spell it out. Anything is possible with proper work and dedication. You want to play college golf, go bust your hump to get where you need to be. The wrist that happens you don't make it, the upside is you'll have an improved game.

And a few days of free golf!

I have attempted to walk on at Kennesaw State with little luck. They are a top 40 program in the nation, so that doesn't help me really. College Golf is about 2 things. It's 50% skill, 50% politics. I've only been playing golf 3 years. I have a handi under a 1. I can shoot anywhere from 70-83, depending on the day. I asked the coach if I could play with the team. He let me practice with them and hang out. No tournaments. Played club tournaments instead. I was never on the roster. Fast forward to this semester. Told me flat out that I should stop wasting my time with practicing with the team. That I'll never play a tournament for them. He liked me, but he has too many scholarship players that if he sat, the AD would be upset. College golf is difficult and often times not made for everyone. Would it be nice to play? Absolutely. It's part of my dream. Is it necessary? Not really. Do your own thing. Join a club team or do a couple intramural tourneys. Don't have one? Start one. Get people on board. It's what I'm doing now and I love it. Is it hard playing Club vs. the real deal. Oh yeah. But I'm competitive in the tournaments (T-5 almost everyone I play) and enjoy the people on my team and who I play with. It's not meant to be ultra serious and right now for some, that's what they need.

I'm not saying don't try or stop pursuing your goal. But you have to work. And, there are always alternates. College golf is NOT the end all be all.

Go for it man. Dont let anyone say it cant be done or that you dont have a good shot at making it. Heck i went into the military straight out of highschool got out 5 years later and then went to college. Tried out for my college team and made it my sophmore year at 25 years old. Trust me if you have the skill and the work ethic you'll make it.

Sent from my N9100 using Tapatalk now Free

:act-up:Never know until u try....no matter make it or not..at least you gave it your best shot

I know this reply is kind of late but there are non-varsity options now for college golfers. The National Collegiate Club Golf Association (NCCGA) runs a collegiate tour for club golf teams around the country. If you miss the cut for a varsity team you could always play club golf. It is competitive still and you can win a chance to play in a national championship, but it is much easier to make the team and represent your school regionally and nationally.

There are over 100 teams now but if there isn't a team at your college you could always start one...

I know this reply is kind of late but there are non-varsity options now for college golfers. The National Collegiate Club Golf Association (NCCGA) runs a collegiate tour for club golf teams around the country. If you miss the cut for a varsity team you could always play club golf. It is competitive still and you can win a chance to play in a national championship, but it is much easier to make the team and represent your school regionally and nationally.

There are over 100 teams now but if there isn't a team at your college you could always start one...

Whoa, that's crazy, and the school that I'm going into has one!

Back