Help analyze my swing

NebHusker

Kappa Alpha Order
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm a fairly good golfer and shoot consistently in the 70s. However I've developed a pretty bad hook lately. I think I'm flipping the club face at impact and would like somebody to look at my swing to see what you can make of it. And could you give some tips? I'm sorry my quality is not the greatest, I'm not sure why the iPhone didn't like posting it here. Thanks! https://vimeo.com/135489883

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Hi mate, I am definitely no Freddie Kong, so feel free to ignore :)

In your backswing you get the club head too far to the inside and ends up behind you and across the line at the top. With the club in that position it is very easy to dump the club down back behind you and approach the ball on a very severe inside path leaving your body little time to effectively release the club, which, in your case leads you to flip the club with your hands and give you a lovely old hook (or a big block to the right if hands don't flip in time).

A drill you could try is to feel the club head outside of the hands on the takeaway- this would help you get yourself in a much more neutral position at the top and create more space for you to make your downswing and release the club.

The club is behind you at impact. This is leading to you making heel contact and pulling left. You also have bit of loss in spine angle due to how straight your legs are at address. You have to extend the arms out so much due to the lack of space that you are making contact on the heal.

Put some flex in the knees and shorten that back swing. The length of the swing is actually aiding in the club being behind you.

i'd like to see a face on view (preferably one with the camera turned sideways). he looks like he has some reverse tilt toward the target at the top. clubface looked shut at the top to me, so i wonder about the grip. that heel shot is no fun.

Okay i will get another video of that and put it up. I will work on the shortened backswing and knee flex. BRtn is right with the misses. Its either a hook left or big push right. Thanks for the tips!

Okay i will get another video of that and put it up. I will work on the shortened backswing and knee flex. BRtn is right with the misses. Its either a hook left or big push right. Thanks for the tips!

freddie will roll his eyes at me, but both of those misses often come from the same place, the difference is what the face is doing at impact. if your plane is too open to the target and too under the line on the downswing, that can definitely lead to heel misses. and if the plane is too open but your face is close to pointing at the target, that will lead to big hooks. same plane, but face square to plane will lead to big blocks. a face-on video will help see whether the lower body is contributing to this, but ultimately it's just a face-to-path issue, which is simple to diagnose but far more complicated to fix than anything i'm capable of. freddie knows all, so just do what he says and you'll be golden!

I'm still agitated with how the quality of the video came out. In the better quality one, you can see my hands flipping right at impact. I'm going to try to get that better video uploaded later tonight

Freddie and others, here's a better quality video. Thanks a bunch!

Try it again. Somehow the video went to private on youtube. I've got second video of a push I hit uploading right now, my wifi isn't the best so it's still got a bit.

ddbd1c52745f20c3f87c4c934796cb05.jpg

f36973bfe8b4968aaaf28825936c5cc7.jpg

Back