Herbie's One-Putt Wedge - THP Review

This club will be a permanent fixture in my bag. It gives me all the confidence I need on short approach shots and no more fear of the dreaded shanks. I went out on the range and hit several 40 - 80 yard wedge shots with absolutely no fear. The shanks clearly ruined my game and destroyed my confidence for the last couple of months. After a fun range session, I took Herbie to the course and the few shots I needed in my old fear range, were made with a smile on my face! I love the full pitch shots with it more than the chip shots. The full shots are easier to hit than the chip and run shots although I feel with more practice I will have those under my belt. Herbie for the win :bananadance:

Nice to hear OG. Always nice to find something that just works.

It's awesome that this is working for you OG. This seems great for the shanks!

Good write up OG. Thanks for the information.

The question I have is whether you feel like you still need to have a SW for hitting out of the sand and for hitting high over obstacles? I'm wondering if the OPW could double as a SW or whether a "real," higher lofted, SW is still required.

Nice to hear OG. Always nice to find something that just works.

It's awesome that this is working for you OG. This seems great for the shanks!

Thanks guys. I am so looking forward to shank free fun on the course this year and just maybe, see some low scores in the mix too :D!

Good write up OG. Thanks for the information.

The question I have is whether you feel like you still need to have a SW for hitting out of the sand and for hitting high over obstacles? I'm wondering if the OPW could double as a SW or whether a "real," higher lofted, SW is still required.

For me personally I'm still going to keep a sand wedge or lob wedge in my bag. I may only use a driver and two hybrids this year so I could still have both wedges and Herbie. But yea, I will definitely keep at least one of my higher lofted wedges in the bag. I will get out this week to our sand trap practice area and put the OPW though the paces. I'll keep ya posted.

Thanks OG. Keep us posted, particularly on your results out of the sand.

I kind of figured if I added a Herbie, it'd have to replace my Niblick 37 (and be used for what I currently use my Niblick 49 for). The 56 would need to stay for the sand and for high shots over objects that need to stop. I'd probably add the AW out of the HL set and just use it solely for full shots.

This club will be a permanent fixture in my bag. It gives me all the confidence I need on short approach shots and no more fear of the dreaded shanks. I went out on the range and hit several 40 - 80 yard wedge shots with absolutely no fear. The shanks clearly ruined my game and destroyed my confidence for the last couple of months. After a fun range session, I took Herbie to the course and the few shots I needed in my old fear range, were made with a smile on my face! I love the full pitch shots with it more than the chip shots. The full shots are easier to hit than the chip and run shots although I feel with more practice I will have those under my belt. Herbie for the win :bananadance:

This really does make me smile. Like I've said a few times, this isn't going to be a club for everybody, but you are a perfect expample of why I think there's huge value in it. I know that 40-80 yards often has a huge effect on the score I end up with and not being confident there just sucks. Good for you, Gray.

I think the chip shots will come to you. Just think like you're putting the ball. Keep that head centered and let your shoulders doing the work.

This really does make me smile. Like I've said a few times, this isn't going to be a club for everybody, but you are a perfect expample of why I think there's huge value in it. I know that 40-80 yards often has a huge effect on the score I end up with and not being confident there just sucks. Good for you, Gray.

I think the chip shots will come to you. Just think like you're putting the ball. Keep that head centered and let your shoulders doing the work.

You are absolutely correct that it is a game changer for folks who are almost paralyzed with fear, when they step over a red zone shot and can't pull the trigger. It's like a terrible case of the putting yips but from the scoring zone with you wedge shots. I went from a 12 handicap to a 18 in six months. The new golf course had something to do with the scores going up and the problem was born while going from a course where you could punch and run shots into the greens, to one where you had to fly the shots in. Hitting over large sand traps on to fast undulating bent grass greens where you had to hit high shots to have a chance.

It started out with just a few shanks here and there and then the disease spread. I would hit some great tee shots that put me into position to score well and then the thoughts of shanking came into my head. Unless you have been there, you have no idea how much this can and does affect your mental process on approach shots. I had many scores in the upper nineties that tore my confidence down because of this fear. Along came your review of Herbie's OPW. I watched the online video of the various shots being hit and I heard where this club is shank proof. I saw in your reviews where you saw no shanks through your review process.

I felt excitement about how this somewhat odd looking club could be my savior from the demon shanks. When mine arrived I went to the course that morning with excitement and expectations, of a serious doubt in my golf game being eradicated by this odd looking little club. When I got to the range I hit those little tweener shots pretty much with my eyes shut because the fear was there that even Herbie could not solve my dilemma. I saw no shanks! I hit a few balls at different distances, no shanks. Then full wedge shots with no issues. KellyBo and I went to the course and played some shots from positions on the course where I had frozen with fear from shanks. No problem.

The next day I put it into competition with the guys I play a little money with during the week. The shots that came up where I would usually shake in my boots, I felt confident I could go through my swing and hit the shot. Don't get me wrong, I still had that fear in the back of my mind. It will take time to rid that terrible fear in my mind of that horrific shot. Herbie kept performing when I needed him. I'm starting to build confidence in my game, which is something I have not had in quite some time.

I know the littlle pitch shots around the greens will be mastered with some work, so I am really excited about the 2013 golf season! Woodshed activated for the May 2013 THP Outing! :blob:

Last edited:
Yay! The woodshed is going to be a scary place for those wantabes!

I am glad to see that this is working out for you OG, I have been with you when the sh@nkitis struck, watching someone sh@nk 4 or 5 shots in a round hurts almost as much as doing it yourself so I would always feel bad for you buddy. I look forward to seeing you hitting those approach shots with a newborn confidence thanks to Herbie's OPW.

I am glad to see that this is working out for you OG, I have been with you when the sh@nkitis struck, watching someone sh@nk 4 or 5 shots in a round hurts almost as much as doing it yourself so I would always feel bad for you buddy. I look forward to seeing you hitting those approach shots with a newborn confidence thanks to Herbie's OPW.

Heck buddy I have had holes where I had five shanks in a row on the same hole :bulgy-eyes:! I've seen other people get them and felt a knot in my stomach and sweat on my brow. I was about ready to find me a hypnotist. Herbie will not be for everybody. There are drills where you can fix bad shots and most folks can fix their games that way. It got so mental for me, that nothing would work. This little club simply works for me and is allowing me to enjoy my game much more.

Some great stuff in this thread. Ole Gray, I know exactly what you mean about those pitching and chipping shanks. It just eats away at you.
I started to struggle with shanks on chips a bit last year and it hasn't gone away.:arrogant: I bought a niblick 42° that I thought would help and it has been absolutely fantastic (and vitually shank proof for me), but I actually prefer it on longer shots out to just over 100 yards or so or half swings from 50 yards. I bought a 56° niblick too for close chips and the sand, but I can't get it to work for me and for some reason I shank the hell out of it!

I had a look at the one putt wedge, but there really wasn't a lot aroud the web about it apart from the site itself, so this thread has been invaluable. I reckon with my niblick 42°, the OPW and maybe a 60° (which hopefully won't come out too often:act-up:), I should be set! Just need to find how to get one of these to France without it costing more than the rest of my clubs put together in shipping.....

Some great stuff in this thread. Ole Gray, I know exactly what you mean about those pitching and chipping shanks. It just eats away at you.
I started to struggle with shanks on chips a bit last year and it hasn't gone away.:arrogant: I bought a niblick 42° that I thought would help and it has been absolutely fantastic (and vitually shank proof for me), but I actually prefer it on longer shots out to just over 100 yards or so or half swings from 50 yards. I bought a 56° niblick too for close chips and the sand, but I can't get it to work for me and for some reason I shank the hell out of it!

I had a look at the one putt wedge, but there really wasn't a lot aroud the web about it apart from the site itself, so this thread has been invaluable. I reckon with my niblick 42°, the OPW and maybe a 60° (which hopefully won't come out too often:act-up:), I should be set! Just need to find how to get one of these to France without it costing more than the rest of my clubs put together in shipping.....

That's a nice thing to say and I appreciate it.

One way you might save a few dollars is by ordering what they call a demo version. It's lightly used and I think about $40 cheaper than a brand new one. They are on the website. I know shipping will still be a pain, but maybe that'll help you out a bit.

I had a look at the one putt wedge, but there really wasn't a lot around the web about it apart from the site itself, so this thread has been invaluable. I reckon with my niblick 42°, the OPW and maybe a 60° (which hopefully won't come out too often:act-up:), I should be set! Just need to find how to get one of these to France without it costing more than the rest of my clubs put together in shipping.....

Fern I hope you can find one buddy! Niblicks are awesome clubs and I still have my 42 degree. My wife KellyBo has the 56 degree. I took it out one time and sure nuff, I was shanking the pants off that thing :banghead:. If you raise up out of the OPW with the clubface opened, you will see a low squirter slightly to the right of your target. Absolutely nothing as horrible as a shank. No comparison!

Hi Ole Gray,
yeah, I just can't for the life of me figure out why I shank the 56° nib when the 42° is my favourite club in the bag. The 56° was a club I wanted (and expected) to love. I know JB said how good it was, including out of the sand. Now, I am a terrible golfer, but I really can't get anything going with it, especially from bunkers. I'll get a few nice lob shots, but them fluff one or shank it and the doubt just sets in:banghead:

This is such a confidence game that one you start thinking that it might go wrong,...well you know the rest.

Hi Ole Gray,
yeah, I just can't for the life of me figure out why I shank the 56° nib when the 42° is my favourite club in the bag. The 56° was a club I wanted (and expected) to love. I know JB said how good it was, including out of the sand. Now, I am a terrible golfer, but I really can't get anything going with it, especially from bunkers. I'll get a few nice lob shots, but them fluff one or shank it and the doubt just sets in:banghead:

This is such a confidence game that one you start thinking that it might go wrong,...well you know the rest.

I certainly do fern :thumb: I'm not sure about what starts your journey to the tomb of doom (shanks) but mine starts when I decel through those short shots. I hit one hosel rocket to the right and the fear grows. It comes from not finishing my shots and the club face remaining open through impact. Boom hosel comes into contact with the golf ball and off it goes into the wild blue younder. Herbie has no hosel :D

Hi Ole Gray,

fern: I'm not sure what it is about the 56. I own all four of the 2010 Niblicks and this is the only one that I shank and it is the one that I thin the most too. It is still a pretty easy club to use out of the sand though, so I'd probably keep it in the bag for that purpose if I went with the OPW.

I've backed off of using the Niblicks for full shots. They're killer on the range (hit the pin from 107 the other day), but out on the course my thinner soled clubs seem to perform better. Given the Niblicks have become chippers/pitching clubs only, the OPW may be able to replace two clubs with one.

OG: Your story describes my whole short game right now. I used the pendulum swing with my 49 the last time out and the pitching was better (so long as I stayed down). I don't shank it as much as I thin/blade it though.

Does the OPW help with thinning/blading it? That's what has crushed my short game recently.

fern: I'm not sure what it is about the 56. I own all four of the 2010 Niblicks and this is the only one that I shank and it is the one that I thin the most too. It is still a pretty easy club to use out of the sand though, so I'd probably keep it in the bag for that purpose if I went with the OPW.

I've backed off of using the Niblicks for full shots. They're killer on the range (hit the pin from 107 the other day), but out on the course my thinner soled clubs seem to perform better. Given the Niblicks have become chippers/pitching clubs only, the OPW may be able to replace two clubs with one.

OG: Your story describes my whole short game right now. I used the pendulum swing with my 49 the last time out and the pitching was better (so long as I stayed down). I don't shank it as much as I thin/blade it though.

Does the OPW help with thinning/blading it? That's what has crushed my short game recently.

I don't know if it's going to help so much with blades, though that pendulum action theoretically should help. For me, that's a good sign I've lost my posture and come out of a shot.

Do you have a small medicine ball by chance? If so, hold it between your hands in your address position and try to get a good feel for moving your shoulders back and forth while keeping your posture. While I think 'keeping your head down' is sort of overused, keeping in your posture and turning should help you.

I don't know if it's going to help so much with blades, though that pendulum action theoretically should help. For me, that's a good sign I've lost my posture and come out of a shot.

Do you have a small medicine ball by chance? If so, hold it between your hands in your address position and try to get a good feel for moving your shoulders back and forth while keeping your posture. While I think 'keeping your head down' is sort of overused, keeping in your posture and turning should help you.

You can still thin Herbie and like Hawk says, good posture is so important!

I can also see really good golfers using Herbie as a training aid, if not on the course. It could be a wonderful tool to help with swing plane issues.

Hawk: Thanks for the great advice. Blading is what is killing me in the short game. Oddly, I do not do it on full shots any more. I think it is because I've hit enough that it is ingrained. On the short ones, I'm not nearly as comfortable and all sorts of misses enter.

OG: Thanks for the tip on blading. It sounds like practice is what I might need more than anything else!

ryebread this is just my two cents but most of the time when I blade a shot I don't have enough forward shaft lean during the shot. Sometimes I need to add some forward shaft lean but on shorter shots sometimes if I have too much it is counterproductive and just leads to more bladeing. I find for me I have to commit to hit the shot and not quit on the shot (hit through the shot) I also find that taking a longer backswing than needed leads to deceleration which can also cause me to blade a shot. I'm not sure if any of these will help you, but they might.

You thinking about getting a OPW?

Fantastic write up OG! It's fun seeing people have great success with this club. I bet anyone who has doubts about it will change their mind when they see how well it works for you.

Herbie and I will be Hawt this Spring!

Herbie and I will be Hawt this Spring!

Fantastic write up OG! It's fun seeing people have great success with this club. I bet anyone who has doubts about it will change their mind when they see how well it works for you.

Thanks golfinFF! It is definitely a kick in the arse type confidence builder for me. It put a glint of hope in the old man's eyes and when I can get my confidence back, with the 100 yard in shots, it's on like donkey kong :bananadance::golf2::thumb:. I'll be ready to take them old boys at Monroe CC to their first full fledged tour of the woodshed:deadhorse::D!

ryebread this is just my two cents but most of the time when I blade a shot I don't have enough forward shaft lean during the shot. Sometimes I need to add some forward shaft lean but on shorter shots sometimes if I have too much it is counterproductive and just leads to more bladeing. I find for me I have to commit to hit the shot and not quit on the shot (hit through the shot) I also find that taking a longer backswing than needed leads to deceleration which can also cause me to blade a shot. I'm not sure if any of these will help you, but they might.

You thinking about getting a OPW?

majBC: The blading is due to execution error as you say. I think deceleration probably has a lot to do with it.

I'm considering a OPW, if for no other reason than saving a bag slot. Fewer clubs might be better.

Herbie won me $17.00 bucks on our par four number 18th hole today. I flew the green and ended up behind a mound with the green sloping away from me. I hit a perfect little touch shot over to the base of the mound that ran out 5 foot below the hole. Made the putt for a par and was fortunate none of the other guys make par. I won the rabbit as it carried over from the front side. I also won a close up today on our par three number eight, finished second in our points game (blitz) and Herbie was instrumental in saving my butt on several shots. I bagged $14.00 more bucks for the closeup and the points which good old Herbie was directly responsible for. Man I love this club :in-love:

Back