Impact of strong hands, wrists, and forearms

Rambler

Reaction score
Handicap
9.9, so 10
Several years ago, I injured my leg/ankle, and had a couple of surgeries. During this time, I was on crutches for 3+ months. Once I was cleared to play golf, again, I found I had gained distance, a good bit of distance. With longer clubs, it was a crap-shoot where the ball would end up, so I played the remainder of that season, as well as the next with a short bag, starting at 5 iron. On the municipal courses I played, there weren't any forced carries over 200 yards, so the short bag worked.

As I'm going thru a swing overhaul, I am reminded of the length I had at the time. The primary physical difference was the increased strength and flexibility in my hands, wrists, and forearms. I know these definitely helped with gaining that distance, and I'm going to work-in some exercises on those areas. But, looking for some detailed explanation of how/why increased strength/flexibility in the hands, wrists, and forearms can contribute to gains in power/speed/distance (beyond the "being stronger helps you deliver the clubhead at a higher speed").

When you coordinate all the moving parts of the swing the hands, wrist and forearms are what make contact with the ball through the hold of the club. With increased stenght and flexiablity in these areas you are about to really control the club face and compress the ball as it was designed. If you add any type of swing speed and load with storng lower arms and hands, you will knock the cover off the ball.

Golf is a game of angles, once you figure out those angles. Add strength and speed you get crazy distance.

Back