Hopkins Golf Balls - Forum Review

Hopkins Ball Testing 1-16-2014- The Hitting Lab Bellingham WA 45*F

Review #1: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...Forum-Review&p=2712323&viewfull=1#post2712323

I spent my lunch hour today at the range near work. I putted with my Seemore M1, chipped with my Scor 54*, and was comparing the Bridgestone B330-RXS, Srixon Qstar, Titleist NXT Tour and these Hopkins balls.

Putting:

I set up putting about 15 feet across the green towards the fringe to warm up and to feel how the greens were rolling for speed. Greens were a bit moist, and the grass thin. The greens did roll fairly decently albeit somewhat slow. I noticed again the Hopkins ball feeling a little harder, with a bit higher of a pitched sound off the clubface. This matched fairly closely to the NXT Tour. The B330-RXS had the lowest pitch and softest feel to me, with the Qstar feeling and sounding somewhat in between. I will quantify I don't have the best hearing, but the difference was noticeable to me.

I set up to roll putts from about 15 feet, taking turns rolling each one after the other from the same spot, then repeating from the same spot. Each time, results were consistent among all 4 balls. I did not really notice any one rolling further or less than the others. The difference in feel and sound was noticed, but did not seem to make a difference on how the ball came off the face or where it ended up.

I then set up an uphill putt from about 20 feet away, trying to get something I would have to go after a bit more. Again, results were pretty consistent among all four balls. The sound and feel difference was more pronounced from this distance, but if I put a consistent stroke each time, I got comparable results regardless of the ball.

I then set up to about 5 feet for some softer shots on a flat area. Sound difference was minimal here, but I still could feel the B330-RXS being softer, but I couldn't feel a difference betwen the Qstar, NXT Tour, and Hopkins.

Overall, performance was as good as I could expect from any ball when putting. I didn't feel I had to adjust my swing at all ball to ball to get comparable results. I was pretty happy with what I saw.

Chipping:

I then set up about 4 feet off the green and worked on chipping the balls at a pin 30-35 feet away with my Scor 54* wedge. With this setup I tried to get the ball to land about 10 or so feet from the fringe and roll up towards the hole.

Feel off the wedge was quite a bit different than the putter. The hardness of the ball seemed to be more noticeable, but still not really enough to bother me too much. The sound added to that and it felt similar to hitting the range balls I'd been hitting prior. Again the NXT Tour was fairly comparable, though did feel a little better to me. Qstar again inbetween with the B330-RXS feeling softer and a less obnoxious sound off the face. Spin was noticeably different as I could see the B330-RXS check up then roll quite a bit more than the others. The Hopkins ball seemed to roll out the furthest by two or three feet, with the QStar and NXT Tour within about a foot of eachother. All 4 would consistently be within about a 4-6 foot range, with the B330-RXS typically short, and the others a bit past the pin.

Last thing I did was set up about 3 feet off the green in a bit of fluff so I could try to flop some up to a closer pin. The pin was about 10 feet away and I was trying to land it about 8 feet out. I wasn't able to stop any of them, but the B330-RXS did check up most naturally. The others rolled out fairly similar distances, with the Hopkins again being just a foot or so more.

At this point I ran out of time and had to get back to work. Thinking back on this, any of the shots with any of the balls I would have been happy with. I am admittedly bias to liking the B330-RXS as I do like the softer feel and have been playing it for a while now. That said, with the results I saw today, I would not be hesitant to put the Hopkins balls in play in the situations I was in.

I am planning to play at least 9 this weekend so will get some in play thoughts on some full shots and off the driver then. So far, I am pretty impressed with them. I'm still kind of torn on the sound and feel, but the performance is not bad.

Hell of a review, John. Well done dude. Cant wait to see how these treat you for a full round (ish).

Thank you for the indepth review.

Nice review, I should be able to put these in play tomorrow.

Great review checkered! Really does sound like these are falling more into the "distance" ball general category since they have a hardness to them with more roll, etc. interesting coming from a wedge company.

I was sent a sleeve of these recently and will likely put one into play next weekend and offer some thoughts also.

Awesome, review, very detailed. I can't wait till I can try mine.

Have any of you noticed a "ballooning" type tendency with this ball off the tee, specifically with the driver?

I played with this vs. a Q-Star last week and off the tee the Hopkins seemed to go to the moon. It was quiet on the course, so I hit the Q-star right behind it to make sure I wasn't seeing things.

Other than that, I didn't mind the Hopkins. It is harder, but it didn't seem to affect my putting and it checked as well as the Q-star did. The brighter white color and logo are awesome.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I played 18 today and didn't notice any ballooning at all with the driver.

Played 18 with this ball. I didn't lose a ball all day and played pretty well with it.
I did have to take the first ball out of play after nine holes due to a large nick in the cover.
Not necessarily the balls fault, it probably hit a rock or something. See below.

The next ball was played the last 9 holes. It showed great durability. A few signs of wear to include the logo starting to wear off and a small brown mark.
But nothing major at all and I will put it into play next round with no issues. Pretty impressive because I know I hit 2 trees pretty hard with this one.

More to come.

Last edited:
Hopkins Ball Testing - 1-19-2014 - Raspberry Ridge Golf course Everson, WA 38*F

Links to previous thoughts:
Review #1 http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...Forum-Review&p=2712323&viewfull=1#post2712323
Review #2 http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...Forum-Review&p=2724080&viewfull=1#post2724080

Was able to get out and get these in play yesterday. Conditions were a bit chilly, with a slight breeze. The course is a pretty short 9 holes, and I walked it twice for 18 total holes. There is no range there, so it was a few stretches, some practice swings and off I went.

I have mixed thoughts on the balls after this round. Performance wise, there was nothing to make me feel like I couldn't game this ball any time. But I'm still not sold on the feel and sound of it.

Driving:

The course is short enough I don't really need to play driver on any holes, but with me working on my driving, and for the sake of testing these balls I pulled driver on 6 of the 9 holes each time around.
Off the tee, I saw decent distance and a good amount of rollout. However, here is where the sound and feel most bothered me. I felt like the sound confused me on whether I'd hit it well or not as it gave a different tone than I was used to. I didn't much care for it, however the results were reasonably consistent to what I would expect. I saw mostly straight shots, with a couple nice draws. I had one hole I pulled the bujeezus out of it. Though, I hit it it well, cleared the pond between the two holes and ended up on the next hole fairway. I'm not confident enough the sound and feel weren't more due to the cold than the ball, so I'm going to reserve judgement on that just yet. Overall though, I didn't see anything unusual with ball flight and I was able to keep the ball in play each time I hit driver.

Irons/Wedges:

With the length of this course, most approaches for me were 8 iron or less. The first hole has a pond about 260 out, so I hit my 4 hybrid, as I've put too many balls in that pond. I saw the same penetrating, straight flight I typically see with this ball as I do the B330-RXS I typically play. Only hit it twice, so not much to say on the sound/feel off of the hybrid. I will have to hit more next time I play.

For the irons, I saw fairly similar carry distances as I would seem to get playing other balls, but I typically got a few feet more rollout than I am used to. Nothing terribly penal, but a couple times I landed towards the back of the green and the ball rolled off to the fringe or rough (using the term rough loosely here). With my wegdes I was able to get it to one hop and stop with a full swing, and saw probably 3-4 feet more rollout on my chips than I am used to. Again, nothing terrible, but did leave myself with a few putts longer than I really wanted. I posted this pic in another thread but wanted to show, I hit this shot with a 60* Scor wedge from about 75 yards out. Ball hit about a foot and a half from where it landed.
Spoiler
f2c0cc04814711e381a312a4149c821a_8.jpg

Feel off the irons again was a bit harder than I'm used to, but the sound really didn't bother me. I felt like I only really noticed the sound difference when I was listening for it. Had I just been playing a round without testing, I don't think I would have noticed the sound. With the hardness, I think it's more being used to a softer feeling ball than it really being all that hard. It's just noticeable enough to mention, but not terribly bothersome to me.

Putting:

My putting was rough on the front nine. My misses were me just choosing bad lines and/or rushing to putt. Results were similar to last time. Other than a bit of a harder feel and higher pitch, they really seemed to roll well and about as far as I would normally expect. I wish I had more to say in this area, but really nothing stood out bad or exceptional here. I suppose that's a good thing though. I am going to devote a couple sessions at the range strictly putting so I can try to get more feedback to talk about off the putter.

Final Thoughts:

Overall, the ball performed well for me. I saw no ballooning, or strangeness with ball flight in general. Distances were all close to what I would normally expect. Again, really nothing to stand out as bad or exceptional.

I am going to try to get some time at the indoor place during the week this week as I'm off to Nashville this Sunday through next Wednesday, so won't get out to play this weekend. As always, any questions or anything, please don't hesitate to chime in.

Do any of you play firmer balls, say the Volviks? How do these stack up to them?

This ball is pretty durable. Gave one to my buddy to play around with.
He played 18 holes, didn't lose it and it is still good to go for another round.

So far, this ball has been pretty good. I can see why some people think it is too harsh.
It is lacking in both the feel department and sound.

But if those categories don't really bother you then I think this ball is pretty good, especially at the current price point.
If Hopkins can improve the sound/feel I think they would have a winner on their hands.

Do any of you play firmer balls, say the Volviks? How do these stack up to them?

Never tried volviks. The hardest ball I have played recently is a Srixon Q star, but it feels/sounds better IMO than the Hopkins.

I played one side by side with a Taylormade SuperDeep, which is the hardest ball I had in the bag and the Hopkins was more firm.

I finally got to put these through a full round try today. Overall was pleased with the performance, enough that they are in serious consideration of going in the bag.
I did not see any monstrous spins from the tee (do not have any quantifiable numbers, but did not have any banana balls which I usually have some in a round). Granted my swing has a lot to do with this, but I know what I normally have from the tee with the E6, and these played a little better IMO. The sound and feel is a little louder, firmer than my E6, but not enough to be a concern to me. Had some shots that were pretty high and they stayed true, had a low piercing drive that stayed true and probably rolled at least 50 yards (did not measure but seemed about that from memory) after first impact. Overall, the performance off the tee is definitely acceptable to me.
Now most people would assess how the balls work in the fairway, but unfortunately I was not there very much today. Played a lot from the rough and sand and performance was better than my usual expectations with the E6. I had some that I needed to bump and run or try to swing to where it would hit and run and it did that well, but the E6 does that easily, so I would call that a draw. The shots I needed to check up would do that with some roll out, but definitely less than what I normally see with the E6, which worked well as I had expected that from the pitch/putt session I had before. I did have a few from the fairway, and with a decent swing they would come off the face well, and I think I actually like the feel from the hopkins over the E6 on good shots from the fairway.
On the green was where they really shined for me today. I only had three 3-putts. I usually have at least 10 and sometimes up to 14 on a regular round. I usually miss putts by leaving them short. I believe the betterment of my putting today was the ball leaving the putter face a little hotter than the E6, therefore rolling a little further and helping my short sidedness.
I will quantify this review by saying that the swing was feeling pretty good today, as was the putting stroke.
I am going to try to get another round in this week (per 3 course just down the road from the hotel), but if not there then this weekend when I get home and see if these results stay consistent.

Nice report, Doc.

I was out with Doc today. He found his driver swing on the back 9 tees and hit some really impressive drives with this ball. Bombs. Also, I have to say I'm literally shocked to see him report that he normally has that many three jacks because although they didn't necessarily find the bottom of the hole, Doc was burning edges all day with really solid rolls. As the random observer, I definitely thought the highlight for this ball was off the putter face.

Great stuff so far guys!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Got another 9 holes in with this ball this weekend and am starting to like this ball more and more. Stayed true for my swing all day. I am finding that I am getting more feedback with this ball than I have with any other (part of this may be because I have been paying more attention to my swing). I can tell the instant contact is made if it was solid or not. Had two swings that felt incredible for me, and the first was a 3 wood off the tee (old Adams gt2 tight lies) that ended up going about 280 yards-just shot off like a rocket and was perfectly straight (driver distance is usually only 250ish). The other was with a cally diablo 3h that the little hill it hit on was 227 yards from where I hit from (did not find this ball as I did not see where it went after hitting the bill downslope). My swing is getting better, but I feel a good portion of this is due to the difference between my normal e6 and the Hopkins ball.
Where this ball really shined for me again was on/around the green. Had a number of approaches from 155 and in, and when I hit the green, the ball was never more than a foot from the divot. I was playing the local muni, but greens were pretty firm for a muni from not getting much precipitation over the last few months. Was getting a very true roll off the putter and had no 3 jacks (my usual miss is short and not having any problem with that since playing these balls.
The best part about these balls for me was the ability to hold the green just a few feet from the pins to allow me to get my first 2 birdies ever in my life this round. So with that said I may be a little biased, but I feel like I have more confidence stepping over this ball than any other I have ever played.
Weather is not looking promising for the next 7 days or so, but hope to get in another round as soon as the weather breaks with more feedback.

Checkered- Another well done review, dude.

Quick question; Throughout your reviews, you have commented on this ball feeling slightly harder than your typical gamer, yet results are not bad. Would that "feel" be something that would keep you from gaming them full time?

Just checking in, the Maryland weather has kept me off the course with these, but I have putted with them several times indoor, and continue to like the reatively soft feel and sound off the putter to me.

The temps next week look like there might be an opportunity to get on course with them, that is if rain does't come with those mid 40's temps.

I want to first apologize for the lack of updates since the last one. Have had some work stuff come up and take my time this last week.

Checkered- Another well done review, dude.

Quick question; Throughout your reviews, you have commented on this ball feeling slightly harder than your typical gamer, yet results are not bad. Would that "feel" be something that would keep you from gaming them full time?

Good question. My honest opinion is that I am letting it get to me more than I would normally because I'm testing these and really paying attention to things to find any differences or things that stand out. Under normal circumstances my focus is more on making the shots, and the ball performs pretty darn well (especially for the price) in that aspect. I know I would still notice the feel, but it's not harsh enough to feel like a range rock or anything that would have me throwing the ball in the nearest pond. Though I will admit, the sound off the driver still makes me wonder.

I will be playing Sunday morning so will have another full write up then and should have better thoughts on that aspect as well as putting.

I am finding similar results. I am pretty happy with the ball but dislike the feel/sound of it.
Hopefully going to play tomorrow. I'm more about results than feel/sound but I know for some it is an immediate turn off.

For me it's not that big of a deal.

This ball is starting to piss me off!!! jk

Really though. I played another 18 today with this ball. It excelled for 90% of the round.
Durability = yes
Distance = Plenty
Accuracy = You bet
Feel off the driver/irons = Good enough
Looks = Awesome!
Price = Awesome!!!
Iron spin = Not bad, works for me
Green side spin = no complaints here
Putter = here is where my negative 10% comes in. The feel and sound off the putter is just not there for me.
It could be just me but I'm not putting well at all with this ball. And the sound/feel of this ball is just NOT pleasant IMO.
And that is a shame. I played 18 today, loved this ball for EVERYTHING but putting.

I hit ALOT of good shots today. Several 295-300 yard bombs.
A 64 yard lob wedge that hit the pin and landed 4 feet away.
Another 35 yard shot with the lob wedge that holed out!
And several pitches that landed 3-4 feet away.

But putting just wasn't there. And I don't think it is just me. I had more 3 putts than ever today.
Maybe it is mental, but the feel/sound off the putter is just not there for me.
And that may only be 10% of the game but that is a huge 10% for me.

That is why I am frustrated.

I am playing just as good with this ball as I am with a premium ball that costs twice as much,
UNTIL I reach the green...

HOPKINS, If you are listening and you can figure out how to keep the price point of this ball where it is,
improve the sound/feel of this ball and keep the other traits that you have already figured out, you will have a GAME changer!!!

I am rooting for you and wish you luck because IMO you are so close to having a ROCKSTAR of a ball at
a price point that normal golfers can rejoice in. Don't give up, you are almost there.

I have to agree with you with the sound and feel. I haven't had the chance to get out in the course with these yet, but during putting practice I have been having struggles. Just can't figure it out.

This ball is starting to piss me off!!! jk

Really though. I played another 18 today with this ball. It excelled for 90% of the round.
Durability = yes
Distance = Plenty
Accuracy = You bet
Feel off the driver/irons = Good enough
Looks = Awesome!
Price = Awesome!!!
Iron spin = Not bad, works for me
Green side spin = no complaints here
Putter = here is where my negative 10% comes in. The feel and sound off the putter is just not there for me.
It could be just me but I'm not putting well at all with this ball. And the sound/feel of this ball is just NOT pleasant IMO.
And that is a shame. I played 18 today, loved this ball for EVERYTHING but putting.

I hit ALOT of good shots today. Several 295-300 yard bombs.
A 64 yard lob wedge that hit the pin and landed 4 feet away.
Another 35 yard shot with the lob wedge that holed out!
And several pitches that landed 3-4 feet away.

But putting just wasn't there. And I don't think it is just me. I had more 3 putts than ever today.
Maybe it is mental, but the feel/sound off the putter is just not there for me.
And that may only be 10% of the game but that is a huge 10% for me.

That is why I am frustrated.

I am playing just as good with this ball as I am with a premium ball that costs twice as much,
UNTIL I reach the green...

HOPKINS, If you are listening and you can figure out how to keep the price point of this ball where it is,
improve the sound/feel of this ball and keep the other traits that you have already figured out, you will have a GAME changer!!!

I am rooting for you and wish you luck because IMO you are so close to having a ROCKSTAR of a ball at
a price point that normal golfers can rejoice in. Don't give up, you are almost there.
Just a curiosity question, what was your typical miss on the greens today with the Hopkins ball?
I ask because I have actually been putting better with it, but my usual miss before was leaving them short, and the harder aspect I think has made them roll better and longer with my normal stroke.
Just curious if you were getting that same "hot" feeling off the putter.

Also, I'm curious to know if your putter has an insert.

Back