The Relocation Thread

Still considering a job change to our office in Morrisville/Cary, NC. Looked at apartments down that way. HOLY CRAP!!! I don't want to move too far from the office (Wessex area) but dang the apartments around that area are ridiculous. My wife and I are "young" and have a 4 year old so just dropping coin (that we don't have) on a house right away is out of the question. I was looking East of the area and found a couple decently priced places, only to find out I was looking at a per room price due to it being close to NCSU and them catering more to the college kids.

Edit to add: Is the pay that much higher in this area that paying $800+ for a 3 bedroom apartment seem like easy money?

If you are in a nice area here 750-800 will get you a 1 bedroom nice place. When we had our apartment in Brier Creek (Area by Morrisville) we were paying 1150 for a two bedroom and garage. The apartment market is inflated in my mind because of the demographic (lots of young people) The housing market I feel like you get much more other than a select few areas in Cary,Chapel Hill etc.

Not sure how far you are willing to drive but you have a ton of options that are cheaper than the Morrisville/Cary/Apex area that are still great places to live and very nice. Cary has a TON around it and also has a TON of people that live in close proximity. I personally don't feel it is worth the extra money at all to live there and the traffic is a headache compared to other areas around Raleigh. That said you do have some very nice homes/apartments and shopping centers there.

Two of the places I was looking at, one is in South Raleigh and the other is in Parkland/Hidden Creek area. Any idea about those areas? Feel free to PM me if you want.

I would stay away from the nc state area . I'll pm you some areas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would stay away from the nc state area . I'll pm you some areas

Just sent you a PM also with some more information.

While some areas to the east and Southeast side of Raleigh are still trouble many are also seeing some HUGE growth for the upper middle class. Clayton area is really taking off as well as some others. This area is changing very quickly and while many of the stigmas are still around some areas they are also disappearing quickly. No where to build on the west anymore so everything is shifting East.

Agreed on Clayton - had forgotten about it but remember some nice areas around The Neuse. Have they widened 40 going west yet?

Agreed on Clayton - had forgotten about it but remember some nice areas around The Neuse. Have they widened 40 going west yet?

In the process of it right now so it is a nightmare during rush hour. They are also going to complete the 540 loop in the next few years so that will help a good bit.

In the process of it right now so it is a nightmare during rush hour. They are also going to complete the 540 loop in the next few years so that will help a good bit.

That will be interesting to see it finished. My last visit I took the new leg that goes all the way down to 1 (from the airport), it made the trip to Pinehurst significantly quicker.

Any crazy rules in NC about car emissions or anything like that? Just wondering if I'm going to have to get rid of my ride if I were to move down there. I know it can also vary county to county.

Any crazy rules in NC about car emissions or anything like that? Just wondering if I'm going to have to get rid of my ride if I were to move down there. I know it can also vary county to county.

You will get taxed yearly on the value of the car. Also there is a higher tax the first time you register. What do you drive?

You will get taxed yearly on the value of the car. Also there is a higher tax the first time you register. What do you drive?

I have a 99 Honda CRV (if it makes the trip down, might get left on the side of the road) and my wife has a 2015 Equinox.

That's cheap for a 3 bedroom! I'm paying just shy of $1000 for a one-bedroom in New Cary (intersection of Kit Creek and Rt 55).
Still considering a job change to our office in Morrisville/Cary, NC. Looked at apartments down that way. HOLY CRAP!!! I don't want to move too far from the office (Wessex area) but dang the apartments around that area are ridiculous. My wife and I are "young" and have a 4 year old so just dropping coin (that we don't have) on a house right away is out of the question. I was looking East of the area and found a couple decently priced places, only to find out I was looking at a per room price due to it being close to NCSU and them catering more to the college kids.

Edit to add: Is the pay that much higher in this area that paying $800+ for a 3 bedroom apartment seem like easy money?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

That's cheap for a 3 bedroom! I'm paying just shy of $1000 for a one-bedroom in New Cary (intersection of Kit Creek and Rt 55).

Holy crap. That's crazy for an apartment.

In other news, I talked with work, the salary for that job I was looking at would not make it worth moving down there. Max salary for the job is only like 3k more than I make now.

Chat with people who live in D.C. and you'll find out just how crazy prices can be. Or SF or NYC.

Yeah, if the salary doesn't adequately reflect cost of living increases, it's not worth it. For my wife and I, coming from Baltimore, the lower cost of living here definitely helped my piggy bank.

In other news, I talked with work, the salary for that job I was looking at would not make it worth moving down there. Max salary for the job is only like 3k more than I make now.

Chat with people who live in D.C. and you'll find out just how crazy prices can be. Or SF or NYC.

Yeah, if the salary doesn't adequately reflect cost of living increases, it's not worth it. For my wife and I, coming from Baltimore, the lower cost of living here definitely helped my piggy bank.

The DC area is ridiculous for rent. $1k - 1500 for 1 bedroom apt depending on area. Some don't include utilities. Sometimes it's better to find a house or townhouse to rent here.

i have a friend who used to live in NYC before coming to DC and payed $800 for a basement rental in someone's house

Quoted for truth!!
The DC area is ridiculous for rent. $1k - 1500 for 1 bedroom apt depending on area. Some don't include utilities. Sometimes it's better to find a house or townhouse to rent here.

i have a friend who used to live in NYC before coming to DC and payed $800 for a basement rental in someone's house
Having lived in RDU Triangle for a while. Coming up here was sticker shock for Rents.

22 years later the shock is still real. $2300 for a 2 bedroom. It's got some nice a mentors. But at the end of the day it's still an apartment.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

My wife just accepted a job in concord for the same salary she is making up here in Boston. I think she made out pretty well.

My wife just accepted a job in concord for the same salary she is making up here in Boston. I think she made out pretty well.

Everything seems to be working out. Have you guys got a spot to live figured out yet?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Everything seems to be working out. Have you guys got a spot to live figured out yet?

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

No my wife is going to go down in a couple weeks to meet with her new company and look at some apartments. One of her best friends lives in the area so they are going to make a long weekend out of it. We plan on grabbing an apartment for 6 months and then hopefully buying a place.

No my wife is going to go down in a couple weeks to meet with her new company and look at some apartments. One of her best friends lives in the area so they are going to make a long weekend out of it. We plan on grabbing an apartment for 6 months and then hopefully buying a place.

So rager at your place then? Surprised you don't go as well and play some golf.

First round at the Barley House is on me. Congrats!

Back