Am I insane for thinking that I could be a LH scratch golfer in 3 years?

And that's after spending enormous amounts of time and money. Being athletic actually may hurt. We just don't know.
Having certain given athletic skill sets at some things might actually work against other things which require different skill sets and coordination's not to mention the ability to repeat them again and again. We all can and have hit a great shot but the biggest differences for every single one of us including tour pros is how often can we repeat them. No one ever said "I cant play this game good because I am athletic" but truth is we will just never know that.

Being athletic may hurt? Ok.

And that's after spending enormous amounts of time and money. Being athletic actually may hurt. We just don't know.
Having certain given athletic skill sets at some things might actually work against other things which require different skill sets and coordination's not to mention the ability to repeat them again and again. We all can and have hit a great shot but the biggest differences for every single one of us including tour pros is how often can we repeat them. No one ever said "I cant play this game good because I am athletic" but truth is we will just never know that.

There are a lot of touring pros that are crazy good at multiple sports. Being athletic will never hinder your golf game.

Sergio Garcia was going to be a professional soccer player at like 16 if I remember correctly. He chose golf instead. Dustin Johnson is amazing at basketball. One of the other Adidas pros is really good at playing QB. Can't remember who but he was hitting targets from all over throwing a football. It was fun to watch.

I'll go out on a limb and say most touring pros, can play another sport pretty darn well. That only comes from a natural athleticism.

Alrighty then.

You already have all the game skills to be positive, so sure. It's just building different muscle memory. 3 years is plenty of time to put in the necessary practice.

Being athletic may hurt? Ok.

read my entire post. All I am theorizing is that it "may be possible" that one who is athletically gifted at one thing might actually not be good at something else due to the same athletic skillset because the skillset required is different for one task as it is for another. His/her body may simpy be built and gifted to perform certain tasks better but at the same time that same asset may actually be what doesn't work well for a different task. Truth is we will never ever know this because no one ever says I am not good at golf because of my athleticism at diving. But we only hear the oposit. We hear that he is good at golf because he is athletic and truth about that is that we just don't really know that either. That person may very well be good at golf even if he was not athletic at something else but we just assume otherwise.

Lets not make more out of what I meant than what it is. I still feel in general that being athletic probably helps more than hurts for most people most the time. But we just never really know nor do we know if for every single given individual that my theory is also possible. Just something to think about with an open mind.

read my entire post. All I am theorizing is that it "may be possible" that one who is athletically gifted at one thing might actually not be good at something else due to the same athletic skillset because the skillset required is different for one task as it is for another. His/her body may simpy be built and gifted to perform certain tasks better but at the same time that same asset may actually be what doesn't work well for a different task. Truth is we will never ever know this because no one ever says I am not good at golf because of my athleticism at diving. But we only hear the oposit. We hear that he is good at golf because he is athletic and truth about that is that we just don't really know that either. That person may very well be good at golf even if he was not athletic at something else but we just assume otherwise.

Lets not make more out of what I meant than what it is. I still feel in general that being athletic probably helps more than hurts for most people most the time. But we just never really know nor do we know if for every single given individual that my theory is also possible. Just something to think about with an open mind.

There is nothing anyone could ever say to make me believe that being athletic hurts you in golf. The skill set one has acquired may not transition and help per say...but absolutely no chance being athletic hurts you.

There is a difference between simply being athletic and being in shape/form for certain sports as well. Being athletic refers to having things such as coordination, balance, and body control. Being in body builder shape might hurt someone due to potential lack of flexibility, but that same persons sheer athleticism will never ever be the problem.

There is nothing anyone could ever say to make me believe that being athletic hurts you in golf. The skill set one has acquired may not transition and help per say...but absolutely no chance being athletic hurts you.

There is a difference between simply being athletic and being in shape/form for certain sports as well. Being athletic refers to having things such as coordination, balance, and body control. Being in body builder shape might hurt someone due to potential lack of flexibility, but that same persons sheer athleticism will never ever be the problem.

I wouldn't disagree completely and you may be right but we just will never know of/if any percentage at all are affected negatively. I do think that possibility exists for different reasons :) and you may not agree with that but that's ok.

You mention Balance, coordination, and body control is what one can say is athleticism. Different tasks require different types and measures of all those things. The athletic traits described in your meaning for one person may work great for one task but imo it doesn't mean the same stuff also works great for that person when doing a different task.

every person balances themselves slightly differently. Every persons coordination's are different. Even great athletes have different balance and different coordination's because all there bodys are very different at different proportions and weights. This is why so many thouasands of golf tips works for some people and not others. This is true even at the pro level. Different strokes for different folks. So imo one persons athleticism may be great for some things he does and yet not a good thing for other things he does. The task at hand (whether that's golf or something else) may simply be better suited for certain balance and coordination that differs from what that person has even though they may be great at some of the other things they do because of it.

Last edited:

Ding ding ding.

I agree with c baker 2882(interesting screen name by the way). For example , I have been playing this great game for just shy of forty years. I have taken lessons since my 2nd season . For as much effort and as much golf I have played i should be way way way better than what I am. Very frustrating really at times, had quite a few seasons where I either ended it early or played very little from just sheer frustration. These last few years it was Better, but in a whole I'm still disappointed and keep on plugging away in hopes that I will finally have it this time. With my ability athletic wise, I can only do so much before a horrendous shot or a very high score are in the cards for me .

My my advice is to stay a away from any golf teaching that is beyond complicated or turns into a full time job committment. There are many exceptions to the rule, but athletic ability is huge IMHO. All of us can get better at some aspect of golf, but without some athletic ability the process is very very difficult

timed out : add . I used to get so upset with the instructors on why I couldn't get it what they were showing me. Really it all came down to just lacking the athletic ability to do what they say. Stinks really , but now i don't even get angry at golf instruction anymore. Either I chalk it up as it will work or wont.. No biggie to me anymore

Last edited:
Back