Hook, Fat or Push!

arwin

Reaction score
Over the last season, I've been fighting a few issues. Usually it starts off with a hook, then when I try to address the issue, I start to hit it fat! Then when I try to stop hitting it fat, I end up pushing the ball!

Let me go over my setup/thoughts and you guys tell me if I'm going about this all wrong:

- My ball position for long irons are considerably up in my stance
- When I end up hooking the ball, I think it's because my swing plane is too shallow and I end up coming too much from the inside out. Also, since the ball is further up in my stance it gives my club face more time to close and by the time I'm at impact the club face is quite closed
- I try to fix the hook by making a steeper swing plane by purposely setting my wrists on my back swing and purposely making the swing plane very steep but I think this is causing me to hit it fat because now my swing plane is steeper and it would cause my swing to bottom out closer to the middle of my stance.
- I try to remedy hitting it fat by placing the ball slightly back in my stance. Now I will get better contact, but I end up pushing the ball to the right! But what is causing me to push it?

Is my analysis and understanding of my swing correct?

I assume that I should be focusing on correcting my swing plane by not making it too shallow nor too steep!

Help!

Arwin thanks for the questions. Based on what you said you one of two main issues. I suspect there are more but I will address what you asked about.

move you ball position back, closer to center with your long irons. If you gear the club is closing prior to impact then moving the ball back to middle should give you a square club.

Trying to change your swing plane is not advisable. Swing your swing and look for the optimum ball position. By moving the ball back in your stance you in essence did the exact opposite of having the ball in the front of your stance except the club is open at impact. By cutting the difference (middle ball position) this should fix the problems.

But I suspect there are other issues at hand. So try the middle ball position and report back.

Over the last season, I've been fighting a few issues. Usually it starts off with a hook, then when I try to address the issue, I start to hit it fat! Then when I try to stop hitting it fat, I end up pushing the ball!

Let me go over my setup/thoughts and you guys tell me if I'm going about this all wrong:

- My ball position for long irons are considerably up in my stance
- When I end up hooking the ball, I think it's because my swing plane is too shallow and I end up coming too much from the inside out. Also, since the ball is further up in my stance it gives my club face more time to close and by the time I'm at impact the club face is quite closed
- I try to fix the hook by making a steeper swing plane by purposely setting my wrists on my back swing and purposely making the swing plane very steep but I think this is causing me to hit it fat because now my swing plane is steeper and it would cause my swing to bottom out closer to the middle of my stance.
- I try to remedy hitting it fat by placing the ball slightly back in my stance. Now I will get better contact, but I end up pushing the ball to the right! But what is causing me to push it?

Is my analysis and understanding of my swing correct?

I assume that I should be focusing on correcting my swing plane by not making it too shallow nor too steep!

Help!

So I had a chance to hit the range yesterday and playing around with the ball position and it seems to have done the trick. No more fat shots but I did have the occasional hook. But much better in my books!

Thanks Freddy!

What were the other issues that you had on your mind?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Subscribed... I changed to some clubs with offset (ping g25s) and I've been fighting similar issues. At the range yesterday, I moved the ball back to slightly behind center (from just in front of center) and it helped a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back