UST Mamiya Recoil Shafts Review Thread

I was thinking of picking up a set of these and put them in my 714 AP2'S

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I just put a set of Prototype Recoil 125 F5's in my 712 AP2's replacing DG X100's. Had them out on the range for the first time yesterday. They were exactly what I was hoping they would be. Hit 200+ balls with no elbow or wrist soreness. I am quite pleased with them.

I'm staring to see a nice trend from others here about the recoils helping with the aches and pains. I get an occasional wrist poke every now and then so will be interested to see if I notice it at all as I venture down the Recoil highway.

After Danny installed the 125's F5 XS into my 745's I got to compare a little bit with my old shafts. Not going to get into distances as some of them were pretty sick, but what was noticed was the 3-5mph increase in ball speed with the same swing speed throughout the irons. Never a bad thing. But the real seller for me was the dispersion ratio with the recoils. Much tighter and online than before. Was even throwing out comments about how shots maybe moved 1 yard off the center line of Trackman. Tight, tight dispersion.

The shafts themselves felt really together and not much wipe within the release. I kept telling Danny that it's not a stiff or boardy feeling but a more in controlled feeling I had over the previous shafts.

So increased ball speed, more control, tighter dispersion and confidence to start my recoil highway drive. Now to get them onto the course and into some real action!

I'm staring to see a nice trend from others here about the recoils helping with the aches and pains. I get an occasional wrist poke every now and then so will be interested to see if I notice it at all as I venture down the Recoil highway.

After Danny installed the 125's F5 XS into my 745's I got to compare a little bit with my old shafts. Not going to get into distances as some of them were pretty sick, but what was noticed was the 3-5mph increase in ball speed with the same swing speed throughout the irons. Never a bad thing. But the real seller for me was the dispersion ratio with the recoils. Much tighter and online than before. Was even throwing out comments about how shots maybe moved 1 yard off the center line of Trackman. Tight, tight dispersion.

The shafts themselves felt really together and not much wipe within the release. I kept telling Danny that it's not a stiff or boardy feeling but a more in controlled feeling I had over the previous shafts.

So increased ball speed, more control, tighter dispersion and confidence to start my recoil highway drive. Now to get them onto the course and into some real action!

It's awesome that you are finally seeing what I've been trying to tell you. For some reason people still think graphite shafts are for old people or slower swing speeds. Recoils are not your typical graphite iron shaft. They play just as good if not better than some iron shaft offerings and you feel better after the round. I now want to see you hit these in person.

It's awesome that you are finally seeing what I've been trying to tell you. For some reason people still think graphite shafts are for old people or slower swing speeds. Recoils are not your typical graphite iron shaft. They play just as good if not better than some iron shaft offerings and you feel better after the round. I now want to see you hit these in person.

Funny you say that because before I even hit the first recoil shot I told Danny that I had a gut feeling that once I did I'd probably never go back to steel. It's not an old man option. It's a want to play better golf option.

Solid stuff man. Mist be nice to see good results right off the bat. Glad these work for you and at some point I will have recoils.

Funny you say that because before I even hit the first recoil shot I told Danny that I had a gut feeling that once I did I'd probably never go back to steel. It's not an old man option. It's a want to play better golf option.
That's a heartfelt endorsement and testimonial if I've ever heard one!

Round 1 in the books and I'm pleasantly surprised with the outcome. Had no range time before round so took a few holes to warm up. Just some quick hits in what I noticed with the irons.

Long irons (4 and 5) - Love the trajectory and way less movement left/right than I had before. The feel was wonderful at impact. Was 230 yards out on a par 5 and hit to the back of the green with my 4 iron. Felt so good.

Mid irons (6 and 7) - Didn't use

Short irons (8, 9, PW) - I hit a ton of PW shots in the 100 to 115 yard range that were into the wind. Hit a few 8 irons on par 3's. I did notice that I was getting them higher than my previous. Didn't balloon but was higher. I need to explore whether it was due to hitting into the wind or that the tee height was just a bit high. Need some more shots with these from the ground/fairway to make sure.

Great feedback, Nate. Extra ball speed, better dispersion and easier on the body...that's great stuff. Plus, I personally think they look fabulous. I love the graphite shafts in my current gamers and really am hoping I'm fit into Recoils with the irons that are coming next.

Short irons (8, 9, PW) - I hit a ton of PW shots in the 100 to 115 yard range that were into the wind. Hit a few 8 irons on par 3's. I did notice that I was getting them higher than my previous. Didn't balloon but was higher. I need to explore whether it was due to hitting into the wind or that the tee height was just a bit high. Need some more shots with these from the ground/fairway to make sure.

Revisiting this, I was at UST HQ today and Danny took a few minutes to look at my 8-PW shots to make sure they looked ok to him. Dr. Le! I was hitting them a few degrees higher but my spin numbers were low so he was ok with it. I told him I always thought having more spin on the scoring irons was ideal. But he indicated that a higher trajectory doesn't need more spin. My distance was the same as before (actually a bit longer if I'm being honest) so with a higher launch and less spin it should even out ok.

Something to think about for those out there that might be looking for more loft help with their irons.

Gday gents
I have already put this post in the xr pro posts, but thought I would also bring it here to get a little more feedback.
Short story, 60 yo, looking at something with a little bit more to offer the aching body, and hence, looking at changing my reg steel shafts to graphite.
Some have suggested reg flex in graphite as well, where as the swing fit on the website recommends S flex.
Any feedback appreciated

Gday gents
I have already put this post in the xr pro posts, but thought I would also bring it here to get a little more feedback.
Short story, 60 yo, looking at something with a little bit more to offer the aching body, and hence, looking at changing my reg steel shafts to graphite.
Some have suggested reg flex in graphite as well, where as the swing fit on the website recommends S flex.
Any feedback appreciated
I went from a regular XP 105 to a stiff Recoil 110 in my Apex CH 16s. Largely for the same reason, and wish I had done it sooner. I tried the 95s in a regular flex and like the stiff in the 110s better. As a reference my average club head speed with a 6 iron was 83 mph when Danny fit me.

Best round with the recoil 125's so far. Was 13 of 18 in GIR's and had a very good ball striking round. Hit the first 8 of 9 greens on the front. If I could putt I could have been -4 at the turn.

The ball just goes straight. I had to remind myself as I lined up, to aim straight at the flag instead of slightly left like I'm use to. Been really fun getting to play these shafts.

Finally think I ended up with a set of Recoils that work well for me. 670 F3. Just love them. Nice easy swing gets the ball up in the air, stays on line, and a ball flight that is really working for me.

F4's? Not good for me, just could not get the ball up into the air.

Trial and error definitely not the greatest way to go (and assuming what might work well for me when it then doesn't). Wish I had somewhere nearby that I could actually get to and get fit properly.

Went to a Callaway Demo Day yesterday to hit the Apex CF16's. Really liked them with the XP 95's and Tour V 90's. However, I noticed they had a Recoil 780 F4. So I had them throw the Recoil in there and was EXTREMELY impressed. Felt great, tight dispersion and just launched the ball a mile. Felt like the club was just exploding through the ball. I have an iron fitting next week and these are high on the list and will definitely get some swings.

Spent about an hour on the range today with my 660 F3 Recoils and had a great day. Still learning how to repeat the good swings and forget the bad ones, but overall had more good than bad.

The Recoils (on Big Berthas) felt very nice. Flex felt good and I could easily tell a good shot immediately after contact. Great feedback.

Loving my 670 F3's so far. They just feel so effortless when I am swinging them.

As soon as I switch back to an Altitude with steel shaft I can feel it right away, the Recoils dull the harshness that I would normally feel on a bad shot.

Really enjoy the Recoil in my exotics EX9 feels great and doesn't feel out of place with my other hybrid and steel shafts in my irons just an all around great shaft

I'm a couple of days away from having Recoil 680s. I picked the shafts because I like graphite and they are about the same weight that I currently play. I've only swung these shafts a couple of times, once in Apex 16 pros and another in 545 irons, and they felt great. I really hope they work right for me in this coming set.

My recoils perform well but it's the feel that is best about them.

Really considering these but have no place to get properly fitted. Stuck between the F3 and F4 flex. Currently hit a 7 iron (comfortably 150 in the air). What's your recommendation on the flex?

Really considering these but have no place to get properly fitted. Stuck between the F3 and F4 flex. Currently hit a 7 iron (comfortably 150 in the air). What's your recommendation on the flex?

Flex is a lot more than just distance, but I would say at 150 7-iron F3. My 9-iron is my 150 and fit pretty comfortably in F4.

Flex is a lot more than just distance, but I would say at 150 7-iron F3. My 9-iron is my 150 and fit pretty comfortably in F4.

I agree but am looking for all the input I can get based on where I am!!

I agree but am looking for all the input I can get based on where I am!!

Do you have any swing speed numbers? You are playing regular flex in all your clubs now, any reason you want to move to stiff?

What shafts are in your clubs now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back