Together We Change - 2016 Golf Goals

BREAK 80! #ChangeTheGame

Yesterday, 3-16-16, I shot a 79.

Breaking 80 was my major goal of 2016 and I did it about 3 months in. So now to make some new goals and keep at it. 78 here I come.

As an addendum for my previous post, and with more gravitas, I submit:
Goal one-A. Be longer off the tee, not Gunner long, but longer than I now hit it.
Goal one-B. Do not let the lust for distance make me lose my ability to keep the ball in the fairway

Goal two Make my pitches/chips finish within 2 feet of the cup, consistently

Goal three. Develop more confidence in the clubs I have now.

After "playing" all winter in my sim league, I would like to post my update.

Goals 1-A & 1-B: Getting more fairways, not too much distance increase.
Goal 2: Chipping has improved, but still ending up around 5-6' from the hole
Goal 3: The confidence in the clubs is steadily increasing. I've done some swing tinkering, and may have finally been able to find the magic pill (so to speak) for more consistent contact.

My #ChangeTheGame golf goals for 2016:

Unfortunately, my schedule makes me choose between practice and playing, so when I have time to "practice" I would rather be on the course playing. I do however, hope to spend time in the practice bunker more often. My course doesn't have a range, so range time is out. What I would like to see me do this year is as follows:

• Play more. I will be in the Wednesday Mens League again, so that's 20, nine hole rounds. They need players in the Monday morning Senior League, and they dropped the age to 50 for that, so I could get about 25 rounds in there, but I couldn't guarantee them I would play every week. I have a regular job that while I can make my own hours, sometimes I gotta be certain places at certain times during the mornings. A "date night" with Jacqui every week should get me another 20-30 rounds, and my buddy who works a couple of days a week behind the counter will play after he gets off at least one of those days, so that's at least another 20-30. Playing with other course patrons on a once in a while basis could net me another 20-30 rounds a year. So counting 20 Mens League rounds as 10, 18 hole rounds, I want to get in 70 to 100 rounds in 2016. That would be about 2-1/2 to 3 times a week during the times where the weather is decent enough to play.
  • Walk more. We each got a Bag Boy Quad Plus push cart last year but didn't get any use out of them. About the time we got them, the temps got too hot to feel like walking, and the cold and weather came quicker than we wanted. At our course I wouldn't mind walking every round, temps permitting. The couple of times we used our old push carts last year, my back felt great the whole round, because I kept moving most of the time. I think by keeping my back loose by walking, I'll be able to put better swings on, which should help my next goal.
  • Score better. Not spending a lot of time practicing kind of hurts in this goal. But I would like to shoot in the 70s and 80s 2:1 over rounds in the 90s from the whites and blues. I failed to achieve this goal in 2015 and plan on succeeding in 2016.
  • I didn't break 80 from the whites or blues this year, so my PB from those tees is stuck at 79. I'd like to shoot better than that from both of those tees this year. From the Golds, I shot a 74 on a date night with Jacqui, and depending on how often I play from there in 2016, I think a 70 (even par) could be possible. Anything better than a 74 would be nice.
  • I haven't kept my bag the same the whole season in years. Once the season starts (say, April 1), I want to have my bag set for the rest of the year. I should have my XR irons by then. As far as equipment goes, I want to keep the long shaft in the Big Bertha driver and benefit from the extra distance. Early returns since making the switch are good so far, with improved distances and negligible difference in accuracy. I also want to get my new clubs from CPO fit to me by Golf MD, the fitter who fit my Adams testing set to me in 2011.
  • Make a THP event in 2016. This will be easier if there is another KC event, but as long as it is day trip distance, it could hopefully be doable.

I'll probably update this post as I think about it more, but for now, it's good.

Thought I'd bump this to see how everyone is doing early in the year on their #ChangeTheGame goals.

Even with the mild winter, I haven't played much yet so I have a way to go. So far I am on pace for 12 rounds! I know there will be a lot more than that, but I figured I would be in double digits by now since we have had almost no snow. Scoring has not been great yet (a 98 in England and two 89s here).

2016 has been a mixed bag so far. I've begun to score better, and I am playing a couple of times a week, so the playing more goal is taking care of itself.

We have walked a couple of times, so that's getting there. I like the Bag Boy Quad Plus cart quite a bit, and I just feel better physically (my back) when I walk).

I don't remember any rounds in the 90s yet other than in England, so that one is looking good right now.

Haven't broken 80 yet. I've come close twice. I did however accomplish a goal I didn't even mention. My last round I scored under par two holes in a row for the first time in the history of ever. I eagled the par 5 fourth hole (with about a 3 foot putt) and birdied the par 5 fifth hole right after. Had a bunch of pars in a row, but had never experienced an under par run. Still not officially a streak (three in a row is a streak, for me), but that's a new goal I am adding now!

Also not mentioned in my goals: My tee game has been damn good for me. Going to a 47 inch driver is a year-long experiment that I started last November. Longer drives with no extra effort, but when I try to squeeze a little more out of it, it really goes when I connect! Misses are no worse than a standard length driver, except when I try to kill it. So I try to pick and choose when to try to get more out of it.

Glad I found this thread. I have been thinking about goals for this year. I am going to keep it simple with 2 goals:

1. Focus lessons and practice on my short game: pitching, chipping, and putting. I want to make this the strength of my game. The funny thing is that I have a lot of confidence, but my variable short game results don't match that confidence. I have to be more realistic here. I also need to avoid the trap that new gear is the answer. New gear probably won't hurt, but this is about my skills and technique, or specifically lack thereof.

2. Play as many different courses as possible. Let's say 15 new courses this year. Last year I played 4 new courses. As a kid I lived in a rural area and played one course. After that I didn't play for decades. As a consquence I have limited experience with different courses. An interesting sideline here is that this goal is going to encourage me to finally get a new vehicle. We use my wife's turbo Subi Outback XT for trips, but my '96 4Runner isn't up the task of driving around Montana and the western US for golf outings. She won't give up her car for my golf interests, and I can't blame her. There is a message in this for myself. I hate (this might not be a strong enough word) spending money on vehicles -- a huge investment for a rapidly depreciating asset. My golf motivation is strong.

I forgot there were 2 goal threads! I don't know how I am going to keep with everything on THP. My work life is a mulit-tasking extravaganza as it is. So, here is my goal adjustment and upate.

1. Win #TheCup with Team 441
2. Short game, short game, short game
3. Play more courses
4. Play with THPers

The main update is that I am working with a new PGA instructor on my golf game, with an emphasis on short game. I start a 5 lesson package Monday. He wants to start with my swing since he has never seen me hit and then move to short game. In the meantime my home course has a wonderful practice area with 3 practice greens including sand traps and room to explore shots. I can work on all kinds of pitches, chips, and putts. I am spending more and more of my practice time there. I still get seduced into ball striking practice, but short game is where I can most quickly drop shots. Finally, given the courses for #TheCup, oI am going to add sand shots to my training. I like hitting sand shots and do OK generally, but getting good here looks to be a very good idea.

Here are my goals for this year:

1: Play as much as possible with my son and daugther who has just started playing
2: Focus on short game practise
3: Get down to single hcp
4: Break 80

How are people doing on their goals for 2016? Me? I've hit my first one of "break 90" by shooting an 87 (granted, I was playing up that day because I wanted to focus on my iron play), and I'm trending down so hopefully breaking into the teens HDCP-wise is around the corner. I'm enjoying golf more than I ever have (probably because I'm playing better) so I think I'm doing ok on #3 as well ... though I need to remind myself sometimes (unfortunately it often comes in a post-round reflection) to not let this game frustrate me.

So what about you?

i just looked back through this thread, and it doesn't look like i posted anything about my goals. trying to think back, it would have been to be a better putter, hit more greens, and drop my index probably below 6.
putts per round have decreased from 32.7 to 31.5. not a massive improvement, but on the right track.
gir has increased from from 41.7% to 44.8%. again, not a huge increase, but i'll take it.
index is at 5.9 set to revise to 5.6.

BUT, i've hit a ball-striking issue that is as bad as the one i had 2 years ago that almost made me quit the game. i'm committed to working hard to get it back, but it really couldn't have come at a worst time.

How are people doing on their goals for 2016? Me? I've hit my first one of "break 90" by shooting an 87 (granted, I was playing up that day because I wanted to focus on my iron play), and I'm trending down so hopefully breaking into the teens HDCP-wise is around the corner. I'm enjoying golf more than I ever have (probably because I'm playing better) so I think I'm doing ok on #3 as well ... though I need to remind myself sometimes (unfortunately it often comes in a post-round reflection) to not let this game frustrate me.

So what about you?

You played great this past weekend and I was impressed with how everyone played to be honest.

I am ok with where I am, but some things I need to work on.

1. Improve FIR % to 50+%. Was at 35% in 2014, 46% in 2015. I am confident I can get this done.
2. Improve Par 3 GIR% to 25+%. I was at 10% in 2014, 17% in 2015. This one will require focus and solid play, but again I can do it.
3. Break 40 over 9 holes. I have been very close several times (41, 42's etc). Haven't gotten over the hump yet but this is coming.
4. Practice once a week. Stick to it. Find time. Make it fun.

I've got some work to do hitting fairways to get above 50% (currently at 43% YTD) Part of my problem is I take lines that keep me out of trouble on my home course, but also leave me in the rough more often than not. It hasn't bothered me since it doesn't impact my scoring too much, but it is dragging the FIR number down. Pretty close on the Par 3 GIR % (23%); a few good rounds will push me over there. Haven't cracked 40 on nine holes yet but it will happen if I keep my focus and execute. I have practiced consistently since May. So that one is covered.

Mine were single digits, play in the low 80's high 70's consistently, and have fun/play with THP'ers/enjoy golf every day.

Handicap is going down, but not quick enough for single digits.
Scoring has improved, very much in the mid/low 80's.
Having more fun definitely.
Play with THP'ers, sadly not this year so far.
Enjoy golf every day? Most days. I have the odd hiccup here or there where I just dread it.

Update: My swing is solid, and I have improved the short game dramatically. I am also adding in skills for hitting more of a variety of shot shapes. At this point I have a solid set of base skills and enough athletic ability to do a lot of what I want to do. But playing golf requires more than that. And that's where I am at in my progression. I need to make better decisions on shots and course management. I need to keep focus and not let bad shots or holes take me down. It may sound stupid, but I have to allow and will myself to play better golf. The number one thing I lack right now is experience, and there is no shortcut there. I am a fast study, but information and facts are no substitute for real experience. Back to the grind.

Very inspiring thread, and it sounds like a lot of improvement has been made.

My three goals going into the year and each round are (1) 6+ GIR's, (2) No scores of Trips or higher, and (3) No more than 1-3 putt/round. With the increase of GIR's, my putts AVG has increased but the trips have lowered. I'm currently on a 5 game void of trips or higher. My high for GIR's in a round is 10.

I would say I have accomplished 2 of my goals so far, I have lowered the HC by 6 and gotten to single digits!! :clapp: And the second was to improve the mental game and always stay positive regardless of how I play, I have accomplished that one also. (this was much harder than planned)
I am happy with the way I have improved and hope to improve more before end of year.

quick thought on where im headed goal wise

1. increase % of up/down
2. #own125andin
3. increase GIR% from 150 and in
4. strive for 2 hours of practice a week with 60/40 split of shortgame/swing
5. lower cap by 2 strokes should be achievable based on 1-4

1. I haven't been keeping stats but my up/down % is about the same thanks to some recent rounds where I've made some putts.
2. This weekend showed I have gotten better from 125 and in. Hit lots if good wedge shots relatively close and made some of the putts
3. 150 to 120 is getting better but still needs some work and to make sure I don't force JB into a bunker or get hit by a shot while trying to avoid the ball and said bunker.
4. Has been achieved and will continue to be my routine.
5. Cap went up a little and have some work to do to drop it down and saw some good results this weekend that have me excited to keep grinding and to get some more lessons in to help.

1. I haven't been keeping stats but my up/down % is about the same thanks to some recent rounds where I've made some putts.
2. This weekend showed I have gotten better from 125 and in. Hit lots if good wedge shots relatively close and made some of the putts
3. 150 to 120 is getting better but still needs some work and to make sure I don't force JB into a bunker or get hit by a shot while trying to avoid the ball and said bunker.
4. Has been achieved and will continue to be my routine.
5. Cap went up a little and have some work to do to drop it down and saw some good results this weekend that have me excited to keep grinding and to get some more lessons in to help.

Strong and steady brother! You will def reach your goals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my goals for 2016

1) get below 200 pounds
2) handicap to under 15
3) break 85 on my home course (shorter and par 71)
4) Break 90 on the other courses I play
5)Get in 100 rounds of golf and walk for a majority of them
6) Practice 2-3 times a week on top of playing. I really want to focus on short game & Putting
7) 70% FIR, 50% GIR, and under 32 putts
8) Play in a couple THP events and join a mens league or tournament locally

Wow. I must have been drinking when I wrote this.
1) lost a lot of weight but have a long long way to to that goal.
2) handicap is 20.7 right now. Getting there. I have gotten much better and putting in time.
3. Can't really count this as I have moved but I know I could do this one with how I've been playing.
4. Broke 90 once so far. I've been close a couple times.
5. Probly a little off pace right now. Unless I move to Florida.
6. Definetly accomplishing this now. I go to the range 2 or 3 times a week now that I'm working with a coach. Short game work probly 3 times a week as well. I'm happy with the amount of time I've put into the game. Now Just need to see some better scores!
7. Not realistic for me right now. Averaging 33.5 putts, 45% fairways and like 13% gir.
8. Had to bail on the club clash cuz my life got crazy. Signed up and looking forward to the cobra event in a couple months. Have not joined a league and I need to play with more thp'ers.

My next big goals are to break 40 for 9 holes, break 85, and get my handicap under 17. I want to start playing in the 80s more as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My goal this year is to go from 10 to 8. Obviously lessons and practice are key. The #1 focus this year is going to be all about approach shots with short irons and wedges. I think more consistency in that area will do more than any other to help my game.

Well I made it to 8 but didn't stay there. My irons and wedges have improved considerably. I need to spend more time practicing chipping and putting and get the driver back to where it was earlier this year.

I haven't been able to do any lessons, the instructor I had changed careers so I need to find a new one.

Back