Reshafting my old Hogan Edge irons

Mach2

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.7
Played the Hogan Edge perimeter weighted forged irons from 1989 till the late 1990's. Kept them and now that there's a great selection of shafts available I decided to see how the Hogan Edges would perform with newer, upgraded shafts. I got a set of Precision Project X 5.0 flighted and aligned shafts and a set of KBS Tour 90 aligned shafts in regular flex. I emailed the Hogan Company and asked them if they could tell me what current steel shaft is most similar to the Hogan 3 shafts that are in the Hogan Edges. They replied that the KBS Tour 90 regular shaft is the most similar.

Had Golf Galaxy install the KBS Tour 90 reg shaft into the Edge 6 iron head and the Project X 5.0 shaft into the Edge 7 iron head. The overall weight of the KBS 6 iron is 411 grams and the overall weight of the Project X 7 iron 424 grams and both took some lead tape to get to D0 swing weight. Today I went to the range and after warming up I started with the KBS Tour 90 6 iron. After 6 swings, 4 of them very good, I didn't like what I was feeling and the results I was seeing. The 1st swing with Project X 5.0 shaft was pure money. 4 of the next 5 swings were money too. Consistent results in dispersion and distance was almost equal to my gamer Cobra King F6 7 iron. Many years ago I had a set of irons and reshafted them with the Precision 5.5 Rifle shaft and loved the shafts in those irons. Slightly more distance but much tighter dispersion. I felt hitting the Project X 5.0 shafted 7 iron today was going back and visiting an old friend. I'll be taking the set of Hogan Edge irons to Golf Galaxy and having the Project X 5.0 shafts installed into them and very much look forward to a round of golf with the rejuvenated Hogan Edge irons. They won't replace my Cobra King F6 custom fitted irons, just want to keep the old boys around and upgrade them and occasionally play a round with them.

What a great move. Enjoy your new old clubs!

Played today with the reshafted Hogan edge irons. Project X 5.0 rifle shafts. Irons are D0 swing weight. Hit them well on the range before the round, then hit a nice solid knock down 9 iron on the 1st hole, and a very good 7 iron on the 2nd hole and I was off to the races. Missed a few by not watching the ball be hit by the iron, peeked a little early. If you look up early, all you're gonna see is a bad shot. That's what happened on a few swings. Overall I am very happy with the Project X shafts and the forged/perimeter weighted Hogan Edge iron heads. Will continue to play these irons for a few weeks, then play the King F6 irons and see the difference. One difference is the size of the Hogan Edge irons compared to the King F6 irons, the Hogan Edge irons are noticeably smaller overall than the King F6 head size. One advantage of the smaller Hogan Edge heads is it makes the ball look bigger and helps to concentrate on the ball until the irons hits it, then look up to see a nice shot with a great feel in the hands.

Great to hear you found something you like and a bit of nostalgia! Hope they continue to work for you. Will be interested to hear the differences you find from your current gamers.

Back