Any advice for getting used to a stronger grip?

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
When I got fitted the other day for my Callaway BB driver, the pro told me to turn my grip just a little bit stronger.

In the past, before hurting my shoulder, I could roll my arms and close the face ok.

Now that I am healing, I stopped rolling my arms. (It feels like I might hurt it again).

When I hold the club in the strong position 2 to 2-1/2 knuckle grip it feels weird.

This did improve my accuracy , give more distance, and stopped the balls flying to the moon.

Probably will just take some time getting used to it. I have a 7 iron in my shop, and whenever the opportunity, go outside and swing about 10 times with the new stronger grip.

Thanks for any advice,

Jack

make the grip part of your pre shot routine. Get in the habit of doing the same thing over and over again. Like signing your name. Whenever you sign a check or a receipt you dont think about how you are going to sign it, you just sign it.

Trying to make that the first thing before anything else. I may put dots on the knuckles of my glove in case I forget.

Thanks,

Jack

Change is difficult the only way to make the change the new norm is through reps lots of them, until it becomes natural for your hands to grip the club the same way everytime with little thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would practice that grip on ANYTHING that has a handle. Just randomly grab something and make that stronger grip. Just to get used to it

It's going to feel weird for awhile and that's a good thing. If it feels weird its usually right. Keep working on it and getting used to it with practice time or in the house just setting up.

Change is difficult the only way to make the change the new norm is through reps lots of them, until it becomes natural for your hands to grip the club the same way everytime with little thought.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree. You just have to do it until it comes without thought.

Please forgive me Jack, what is the question?

Please forgive me Jack, what is the question?

I'm just looking for some tips or routines to help me get used to my grip change.

While getting fit for my new driver, the pro had me start using a stronger grip.

It has helped, but still feels weird.

Freddie, do you have any advice for grip changes, and how to get comfortable quicker?

Thanks,

Jack

Do you have a spare grip laying around? If so, I would walk around holding that. If you can outfit it with a cut down shaft, even better. The left hand will take some getting used to but the more you hold it the better it will feel.

Ok, thanks.

I have an old shaft that has a good grip on it.

It will be good to keep in the house.

Thanks for the input, Everyone.

I'll let you know how it goes,

Jack

Repetition

Repetition, practice it over and over again, then repeat that process a few times.

When I hold the club in the strong position 2 to 2-1/2 knuckle grip it feels weird.

Oh man, where do I start? No one teaches how to correctly grip the club, especially with the left hand. For starters, if you want to have a correct grip for impact than shouldn't you start by correctly gripping the club in the impact position? Books, videos, etc. teach you to grip the club in your address position. Why, you don't hit the ball in your address position? Second, how many knuckles you see depends on where you have the grip when you take it. If your hands are over your right foot you'll see more knuckles than if your hands are over your left foot.

This is how you correctly grip the club;

Put the clubhead behind the ball. With the butt of the club pointing at your left shoulder (at impact your left wrist is flat which means the butt of the club points up your left arm at your left shoulder) swing your left arm across until the palm of your left hand touches the grip. Wrap your fingers around the grip. Congratulations, you just gripped the club with a neutral left hand grip while the club was in the impact position. You've eliminated all guess work and "hope it's correct".

Now for your right hand;

The left wrist controls clubface alignment so the right hand isn't as critical for clubface alignment. Its job is to add a non-accelerating thrust from the straightening right arm. Place your right palm behind the grip facing the target. Wrap your fingers around the grip. Typically your left thumb will be in the pocket of your right palm.

I went to a stronger grip a couple of years ago....but when I go through a spell of hitting really bad shots I sometimes find that I have reverted back to my old grip....it takes a long time to make something routine....just keep working at it.

Back