Heavy Head or Heavy Grip.

rogt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Ok guys this is my first thread to start, this is a subject that runs through my mind constantly. Would you rather have the putter head heavy in feel or more weight up in the grip, hands. What is your preference and why?

In the past I always wanted a light putter head and more weight up at the grip, but playing with some THP members last year I noticed a more weight obsession at the head. I play on pretty slow small greens in comparison to normal big town fast and large, and wonder if more weight at the head would be smarter.
Lets hear your thoughts.

Head Heavy.
When placed well for me it leads to two things.
1. Less chance of decel
2. Less chance of twisting

I prefer it in the head. I find that if the grip gets too heavy, I lose feeling of the head in the stroke. I am not a fan of head weights over 350 - 355 grams though.

Head Heavy.
1. Less chance of decel

Same here.

Definitely heavier head for me.

I like heavier heads on faster greens and lighter heads on slower greens.

As for weight in the grip...once the head starts getting 360+, I like a little heavier grip as well.

Heavier head for sure.

I prefer in the head as well. I noticed with lighter heads I get too quick on the take away and start the putter head off-line and even lift there as at time on the backstroke. The heavier heads tend to smooth out my stroke overall

I can't say I have a preference.

I like the heavier grips but don't like the head to be too light or I lose some feel and I see the putter head floating everywhere during the stroke.

I like a heavier head as well. Better feel personally to me, as too light a putter will feel like I am twisting. Especially with mallet style, I like a nice heavy head.

Slightly heavier head. 358g head with a 50 grip on a 35" putter, to be exact.

Last edited:
I've got a heavy head.... 400g on my putter. Converted from a long putter actually. Love it!

I love being able to feel it as I'm swinging back and forth.

I'd prefer a heavier head for sure. Like JB mentioned it keeps me from slowing down at impact.

Head Heavy.
1. Less chance of decel

This and I also find for me I swing it a little smoother.

Heavy headed for me. helps me keep a smooth and steady follow through and I don't slow my swing as much and leave putts way short.

Head Heavy.
1. Less chance of decel
I would agree unless there are extremely fast greens... I loose a sense of feel at that point. IMHO

Yep, I agree with the majority of the previous posts...I prefer a heavier weighted putter head. I find that if the head is too light I get too "wristy" with my stoke and find it difficult to control my putt.

Yep, I agree with the majority of the previous posts...I prefer a heavier weighted putter head. I find that if the head is too light I get too "wristy" with my stoke and find it difficult to control my putt.
Just installed a Lamkin RND Sink 11", 100 g. on my Mfgp DF, and that's what it feels like too much weight very Wristy.

Good info guys keep it coming. What Head weight #'s also.

Heavy head, like a lot of others I find my takeaway to be offline with a light head or heavy grip. I tend to add weight to my putter heads.

Head heavy. Keeps me steadier and helps it helps not to decel.

Looks like I'm in the minority - I prefer a lighter head weight. I feel I decelerate with a heavy head and I'm able to accelerate through the ball much more with a lighter head.

Heavy head all day

Give me a heavier head, every day. However, I would prefer some weight in the butt end as well for some couterbalancing. To me, heavy on the head end, a touch longer than normal in the shaft, and some weighting on the back end makes it perfect.

Back