How old is your "gamer" driver?

D200 I took the plastic off four days ago.

You can pry it out of my cold, dead hands.

Wilson Staff D200. I'm not sure when it was released but I think it's less than a year old.

I bought my PING V2 Rapture from a buddy of mine that worked at PING in Peoria, AZ. I got it at his cost which was about $172.00 - I can't remember the year it came out but it was some time ago.

14 hours.

Seriously.

But it's so so so blue.

1978 persimmon with the original grip and shaft. Best driver I ever had .. Easily. Always put it out there in nice shape. Got it almost 5 months ago from a local pro shop that carries old and new equipment

Imagine when you hit that driver & people hear that crack ... you either get a "WTF is that" look from young guys, or a wink from older guys that remember that sweet sound.

A little over a month (Adams Blue). Early outtake on the driver is positive, for me.

Taylormade Burner from 2011. I'd like to upgrade but I just bought new irons, a 3W and putter this year, so probably can't get the wife to sign off for another year.

um, no. you'll see in my post in a while. i have a 2007 bb 460 driver, as well as a nike sumo2, around the same year. there's a guy who's using a 2005 club, and someone who's claiming he's using a persimmon from 1978.. not sure if that's a put-on, but it looks it isn't. I too would like to know what that feels and sounds like.

I got mine in December at the Grandaddy. Fit to me by the company, and I have had no desire to tinker since.

This is me right now.. I have yet to use the Project X shaft that was given to us, becuase I like the way my driver is set up. I refuse to tinker with it.

Got mine last April (2014) at the King, haven't had the urge to change since.

okay. here are the most recent findings, and by the volume, this is relatively conclusive:

what are the numbers?

1. 82% have their drivers from 2012-2015
2. 35% of the drivers are callaway, different models
3. taylormade trails as a second, but none of the drivers have been bought this year

so what does this say?

1. we're all suckers for shiny new drivers (myself included), not that there's anything wrong with that, just painful on the pockets.
2. there's real tech in the new models as too many have migrated to new models from 2012 to 2015 - 82%
3. there's something about the callaway big bertha alpha 815 (both 2014 and 2015), a lot of people bought this model. this may be a statistical aberration in the guys frequenting in the forums of THP, but I'm going to the driving range tomorrow to check this model out. there's just too many of us out there getting this model.
4. there's this rabid following for the wilson d200 out this year, maybe another model we should check out.
5. there are a couple of brands i've heard advertised as the "number 1 driver on tour", well, they're not number 1 here; goes to show what works for them doesn't necessarily work for us (though i still want to try that pink ping driver, if it's any different from the g30)
6. there's this guy still rocking out with a persimmon driver. well, different strokes....

from 75 respondents, i think this is fairly conclusive. however, to those who haven't polled in, i'll continue keeping record and post later summaries.

well, this is food for thought for all of us, and validation for the majority of us. tech rules.

as for me, this has been very helpful. now how to squirrel away that $500.....

Drivers!
CallawayPingTaylormadeWilsonNikeBridgestoneCobraClevelandBombtechSrixonTitleistAdamsDidn't SayTotal
2015616122112027%
201414222112229%
201341211111115%
201212113811%
2011131168%
2010111%
20091234%
2008111%
2006111%
2005111%
1978111%
Total26610673541111475100%
35%8%13%8%9%4%7%5%1%1%1%1%5%100%

Imagine when you hit that driver & people hear that crack ... you either get a "WTF is that" look from young guys, or a wink from older guys that remember that sweet sound.

More respect I guess ... Most say they are going to bring their old stuff out. Most don't really mind. I'm not doing it for attention at all, just couldn't believe how straight i hit it . Sure I lost a few yards, but being in play makes this hard game easier for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good info. I play a Cobra Bio Cell, so a year and a half almost 2 years old.

I use a Titleist 983E from 2003 (I think that was the year). I got it in 2004 so I've used it 10+ years. Still gets it out there for me so I see no reason to change.

Callaway RFE. 2013 I think.

4. there's this rabid following for the wilson d200 out this year, maybe another model we should check out.

A big jump in that is because of #TheLegacy, which was an unreal event that THP just put on with Bridgestone and Wilson. It's a vastly overlooked driver and is fantastic for many people, but that explains the spike in numbers a little. Here's a link to the event thread that happened this past weekend in case you missed it.

http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?72945-Live-Update-Thread-2015-THP-Legacy

At the moment it is about 7-8 years old. Trusty TaylorMade Superquead R7 TP........ I just don't fail a shot with this club 278yd avarge.

Got it late last year IIRC, but PING G30 is the only driver I own and solidly holds my 'gamer' driver spot right now.

14 hours.

Seriously.

But it's so so so blue.

There sure are a lot of stealth gloats in this thread. :banana:

I should add that my current "gamer" is the Ping K15. Not sure when it was made but the discontinue date was in 2012 so I'll go with that.

I've been gaming the Taylormade RBZ for 3 or 4 years? Don't remember how long since they've come out.

Almost 2 years now with the TM SLDR 460. Hitting it great most of the time.

I been guilty in the past of changing drivers every year to year and half but now I plan to keep them longer, especially when I think about the cost factor. I've always thought that it took (for me at least) 1 year with a new driver to get comfortable and confident with them.

about 90 days.

2009 TM Burner I got off of amazon a couple years ago. It was used but appeared to be just about brand new. Awesome club.

Back