Cleveland 588 Altitude Hybrid Irons Preview

These seem to be surprising everyone!

Loving the teasers, these sound like quite the club with that stock graphite shaft!

I was chatting these up today to a few people, they just sound so damn solid and likely forgiving.....I need some of that right now.

Interesting..........I seem to remember starting a thread that addressed this very subject about a week or two ago. Low handicappers using some easier to hit irons and see improvement or at least not have to work as hard to get results. I guess some golfers can be helped and some can't by more forgiving golf clubs, but I think some feel like they can't use a
"super game improvement" or "game improvement" golf club because their is a stigma attached to what's in the bag. I know I see it a lot among my golfing buddies also.

Last edited:
These sound like some show nuff forgiveness and awesomeness built in the same package :thumb: Come stock with graphite shafts too huh? This is the kind of stuff that raises the ears on my hound dog :bulgy-eyes:

I have been playing the altitudes for a couple months now. They are like cheating. The offset is less than expected and they sound great, with the forged faces. I play them with the VSProto 85's. I have played my best golf ever with these and the E7's.

3[SUP]o[/SUP] up and 1" over.

Not me. Can't hit them. Just don't get along with me. Give me the MT/TT setup.

I'm a believer, these things are unreal, ill have some thoughts over the next few days, I'm sure jb will have some as well.

I'm a believer, these things are unreal, ill have some thoughts over the next few days, I'm sure jb will have some as well.

I look forward to them for sure.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Altitudes mikedean441. I have hit a 6-iron with both graphite and steel shafts and seem to miss on the heel on at least half my shots, might have been the swing that day or maybe I need to adjust the lie angle. Sounds like you had a great trip to Florida.

Can't wait to hear your thoughts on the Altitudes mikedean441. I have hit a 6-iron with both graphite and steel shafts and seem to miss on the heel on at least half my shots, might have been the swing that day or maybe I need to adjust the lie angle. Sounds like you had a great trip to Florida.

I do think these are more upright than most irons, which could lead to the heel shots. I wonder if JB could confirm this.

I am not sure but if one has lower hands would they need a flatter lie angle? I have never had my lie angles anything but stock but my miss has always been a hook, less so now but I think that is more because of my swing.

I am not sure but if one has lower hands would they need a flatter lie angle? I have never had my lie angles anything but stock but my miss has always been a hook, less so now but I think that is more because of my swing.

Speaking in generalities, yes a flatter lie would be better for what you just described.

I look forward to them for sure.

I'd hit a few and stop then hit a few later and stop, thinking it was a fluke....it wasn't

Can't tell you how anxious I am about these. Another 36 holes done this weekend and another weekend of decent driving, great hybrids, and poor iron play.

I know I have work to do on my swing (was talking to my course pro this morning) but these are just screaming at me right now. Perhaps just what I need in an iron.

Can't tell you how anxious I am about these. Another 36 holes done this weekend and another weekend of decent driving, great hybrids, and poor iron play.

I know I have work to do on my swing (was talking to my course pro this morning) but these are just screaming at me right now. Perhaps just what I need in an iron.
They will give you a high ball flight, thats for sure. They have no problem getting up there!

I'd hit a few and stop then hit a few later and stop, thinking it was a fluke....it wasn't

I could see you walking back over to them each time, "OK, now HERE comes the crappy shot......damn"...rinse and repeat.

I should have hit them at GG last week, just because.

They will give you a high ball flight, thats for sure. They have no problem getting up there!

What kind of ball flight do they offer off of the hosel?

I myself do need exponential hosel forgiveness in my irons.

I like to call those ankle screamers.

These things just dont like me. Sole as big as my hand, I just cant get them to work.

I already hit it decently high, I think.....but would not mind a little bit more - will only help with holding greens.

As much as I like the look of a traditional club (J40 for example), I consistently hit a hybrid/wood type club better.

I already hit it decently high, I think.....but would not mind a little bit more - will only help with holding greens.

As much as I like the look of a traditional club (J40 for example), I consistently hit a hybrid/wood type club better.
I hear ya, and think these might be the number for you.

Only issue I have seen/heard from them, is that they dont agree with playing in the wind.

I hear ya, and think these might be the number for you.

Only issue I have seen/heard from them, is that they dont agree with playing in the wind.

Just way too much height to hold any line into the wind?

Shaft could fix that though I would think. I'm pretty happy with the PX5.5's in that aspect.

Just way too much height to hold any line into the wind?

Shaft could fix that though I would think. I'm pretty happy with the PX5.5's in that aspect.
Yeah, ballooning like crazy.

Back