PGA Tour Pros vs. your local dirt tracks

tyno

War Eagle's friend
Reaction score
Handicap
kids
This is a topic that has always crossed my mind, and last night, I actually had a dream about so I only thought it pertinent to bring it to the forums for discussion.

How do you think that a PGA Tour pro would fair on your local dirt tracks?
I mean, I know "these guys are good", and once you've reached a certain status and level of skill, you are just amazingly good. But again, these guys are playing day in and day out on the most pristine and well kept courses on the planet. So who's to say they wouldn't struggle when faced with clover and crabgrass everywhere, un-mowed and sometimes questionable rough, burnt up and torn apart greens, and anything else that your local muni or public has to offer. LOL.

I've played some "gems" in my day, that's for sure....but I guess my real question is, does your handicap or skill level matter, when you're playing golf in cow pasture? And at times, when these types of courses frustrate you so much to a point where you'd wonder..."what would Tiger do?"

Tiger would rip apart any course that I tend to play

Well 2 guys played the front nine, shot 41/43 and quit. Guys were struggling to break par until the pga tour agronomist decided to soak the greens overnight. Then the course record was broken and rebroken. Nick Watney ended up shooting 60 or 61

^Siri probably sucks.

There are several courses in central Florida of the "dirt track" variety that I have witnessed first hand 62s and 63s from a couple tour pros I know. And you want to know what made the difference, the made everything they looked at. If they missed the greens they always had green to work with so chips were aggressive. When a course has Thursday pins on every hole and very little rough, these boys take it deep

I have often pondered that same question, they arent used to balls sitting in bare patches and bumpy greens...crappy bunkers.

I know there is a Muni in Houston that has a guy that played on some mini tours that grew up there and he holds the course record with a 60 and they said he missed 3 makeable birdie putts when he shot it.

We have a Dakotas Tour event at our course. The Dakotas Tour is about 4 notches down from the Hooters tour and these guys go out and roon 64s and 65s at my course every year. It's a 2 day event and usually -12 winds up winning. Oh and did I mention that these guys are no where near the caliber of a PGA Tour pro Tiger would shoot 21 at my course. And the funny thing is, my course is regarded as one of the tougest tracks in town.

Well 2 guys played the front nine, shot 41/43 and quit. Guys were struggling to break par until the pga tour agronomist decided to soak the greens overnight. Then the course record was broken and rebroken. Nick Watney ended up shooting 60 or 61

^Siri probably sucks.
not quite a dirt track

Considering the only thing my course has going for it is length... Very very well.

~Joseph~
via Tapatalk

A great question...especially when thinking about the pristine conditions that these pros are used to playing day in and day out. I'd like to think that it wouldn't matter as much for some things (iron shots, tee shots) but I think it would be interesting to see their short game and putting on some of the hairy and/or slow greens that we can encounter on some of our goat tracks.

I have no doubt any of the top 5 could knock out a 50-something on my course. We have two par 4s under 275y. No par 3s over 200. The #1 handicapped hole is a 389y slight dogleg left to a small, but not-well-protected, green. Fairways in decent shape, and the greens are soft and well groomed.

I have no doubt any of the top 5 could knock out a 50-something on my course. We have two par 4s under 275y. No par 3s over 200. The #1 handicapped hole is a 389y slight dogleg left to a small, but not-well-protected, green. Fairways in decent shape, and the greens are soft and well groomed.

Heck I need to play there!

Mine would be desecrated by them.

And I would freaking LOVE to see it.

Amen, thought the very same thing in the past.

Most courses I've ever played have course records, by non-PGA guys, of 64, 63. If a non-PGA guy can score that, the real guys would do as well. Yeah, our greens and fairways may not have the greates grass, and most of the tee boxes are not flat, or even lined up correctly, but the pros would still be on in regulation and would figure it out.

I'll tell you where we lose out is when we lose a ball. Pros rarely actually lose one because they have spectators and tournament workers pointing where it went. That's what gets me!

Same thing at my local course. The course I play is fairly short and straight, and the greens are in really good shape. If it hasn't been to hot and the fairways aren't gone and hard as concrete I think they could be looking at a lot of eagles.

We have one near here we locals call the "goat ranch". Dirt track makes me think racing....LOL The only thing about the pro's playing my home course is that they have to play like rest of us, no yardage book, no GPS and for sure no caddie. Even at that I'd think the course record could be in jeopardy......

They all would tear them up lol. You'd see alot of scores in the 50's I bet.

I would suspect slow greens would trip them up more than patchy lies. It certainly wouldn't keep them from going super low, since they could be aggressive with every putt, but it might take a couple of holes to sort it out.

i play the course jb holmes grew up playing on. he holds the course record with a 60 or 61 i think.

There was a thread like this on here a couple of years ago: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?20697-Pros-playing-the-course-like-we-do

In that thread, I posted a story from the Washington Post a few years ago where that paper took Steve Marino out to a local muni in the DC area. He ended up shooting 68, mainly because the green conditions were unlike anything he was used to playing. Here's that post: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...rse-like-we-do&p=673146&viewfull=1#post673146

There was a thread like this on here a couple of years ago: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?20697-Pros-playing-the-course-like-we-do

In that thread, I posted a story from the Washington Post a few years ago where that paper took Steve Marino out to a local muni in the DC area. He ended up shooting 68, mainly because the green conditions were unlike anything he was used to playing. Here's that post: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/f...rse-like-we-do&p=673146&viewfull=1#post673146

good call. mods please merge.

The Guys from the Tour would rip apart any "Dirt Track" you put them on, THEY ARE that good!

Hmm. Dirt Track? I don't know they would do that good. When I played Ole Gray's Goat Track, I got weird lies, strange hole layouts, and weird greens. It wouldn't be so easy.

Now, if they played my home course, which is well kept, I feel like if they didn't shoot 64, it would be a disappointment.

They would DESTROY the course here at school. I'm thinking 60 or 61.

Back