2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lol yours was nicer than what I came up with. "How about you shut your stupid face" oops
I've had to train my wife with what to say when bros try to correct her form. Haha

I've had to train my wife with what to say when bros try to correct her form. Haha
I know they mean well but damn I'm not sure I could take it sometimes. Like seriously just get away from me haha

I know they mean well but damn I'm not sure I could take it sometimes. Like seriously just get away from me haha
Contrary to what many believe. I don't stalk people in the gym and offer unsolicited advice, unless they're doing something VERY dangerous. If I needed female companionship, I could kind of see how talking to a girl at the gym would be enticing. But luckily I am not in need.

Feeling a bit frustrated after my workout today. Squats, bench, and deads, and I really wanted to progress on deads, so decided to go a little lighter on squats to try and save some juice for my deads. When I got to deads, I banged out my warmups no problem and was able to not use straps even on my last warmup which was 345, but when I got to the same 375 I've been stuck at forever, I just couldn't get it. I had wanted to do another warmup at 365 but my brother was rushing me so I skipped it. Not sure if it would have helped or tired me out, but either way I failed to progress once again. I'm starting to wonder if my lifting shoes are giving me problems because I hit this wall the week that I started using them, and wondering if my proportions are such that the 2" rise compared to bare feet puts my back at a worse angle, or if my back just isn't strong enough at this point, but it seems like my back is holding me back from progressing, as it feels I just can't get my chest up and it feels like I've got plenty of hip drive. Any thoughts on whether that makes sense? I think I'm going to try lifting in socks next week unless you think that's stupid.

Feeling a bit frustrated after my workout today. Squats, bench, and deads, and I really wanted to progress on deads, so decided to go a little lighter on squats to try and save some juice for my deads. When I got to deads, I banged out my warmups no problem and was able to not use straps even on my last warmup which was 345, but when I got to the same 375 I've been stuck at forever, I just couldn't get it. I had wanted to do another warmup at 365 but my brother was rushing me so I skipped it. Not sure if it would have helped or tired me out, but either way I failed to progress once again. I'm starting to wonder if my lifting shoes are giving me problems because I hit this wall the week that I started using them, and wondering if my proportions are such that the 2" rise compared to bare feet puts my back at a worse angle, or if my back just isn't strong enough at this point, but it seems like my back is holding me back from progressing, as it feels I just can't get my chest up and it feels like I've got plenty of hip drive. Any thoughts on whether that makes sense? I think I'm going to try lifting in socks next week unless you think that's stupid.
Why not train at lower weight for a bit? It'll ultimately help you get your max up. Grinding at 100% isnt ideal imo but im sure ill get told off.

2" lift? The heels should only be 3/4". Either way. Deload 10%. Work back up and give it hell

Why not train at lower weight for a bit? It'll ultimately help you get your max up. Grinding at 100% isnt ideal imo but im sure ill get told off.
Nope. I agree.

I got Blu's approval!!!!! F**k yes!!
Haha. I'm not a fan of constantly trainer near death. I do think you need to find that point where creativity and the real grind starts. Neb is close to that point.

I already did a deload period and worked back up, maybe I need to deload and progress back up slower?

2" lift? The heels should only be 3/4". Either way. Deload 10%. Work back up and give it hell

Actually 1" total rise (3/4" relative to the toe portion), but is that enough to screw me up, or just coincidence that I stalled when I got the shoes?

Also, I plan on reading the deadlift chapter in SS to see if I pick up any tips or notice anything I'm doing wrong.

I not going to critique much of your workout as I'm kinda a newbie, but I have a couple questions, why so heavy on the warmup sets? Granted I'm sure we are doing different workout regimens, but I did 5-1 dead lifts, started with 135x5, then 225x5 as warm ups, then started my sets at 335, then went up 375 on my last set.

Also have you tried mixing up lifts? Maybe have a day more around just your back, not do all 3 major lifts in the same day?

Personally I don't think the shoes have anything to do with it, it's like saying you can't break 80 because your new putter is holding you back, it's all mental.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I already did a deload period and worked back up, maybe I need to deload and progress back up slower?

Actually 1" total rise (3/4" relative to the toe portion), but is that enough to screw me up, or just coincidence that I stalled when I got the shoes?

Also, I plan on reading the deadlift chapter in SS to see if I pick up any tips or notice anything I'm doing wrong.
Hmm. You have the same shoes as me I believe. hmm...

How often are you deadlifting?

Switch to once a week. Pick a day. I think you should make it Friday. I need to think.
Will do, but what do I do in the other day that I was supposed to deadlift if the week falls that way? If you want I can post on Rip's Q&A.

Will do, but what do I do in the other day that I was supposed to deadlift if the week falls that way? If you want I can post on Rip's Q&A.
No. Do not post on Rip's Q&A...

Are you power cleaning?

No. Do not post on Rip's Q&A...

Are you power cleaning?

Yes, alternating between pull downs and cleans on the days I'm not deadlifting.

Yes, alternating between pull downs and cleans on the days I'm not deadlifting.
Power cleans on Monday. Pull downs on Wednesday. Deads of Friday. We are also going to switch up the rep structure. Instead of a single work set of 5. deload 10% and work two sets of three reps.

Just sharing what my buddy does who competes and had a total of over 1600. He trains mostly at 65-85% of his max. Obviously he'll have days to work up to his max but he told me he mostly tests his maxes at the comp. He doesnt feel a need to go 100% all the time. I know there's many ways to train, im just sharing what he does and he has been helping me with my program and im progressing nicely doing the same.

Just sharing what my buddy does who competes and had a total of over 1600. He trains mostly at 65-85% of his max. Obviously he'll have days to work up to his max but he told me he mostly tests his maxes at the comp. He doesnt feel a need to go 100% all the time. I know there's many ways to train, im just sharing what he does and he has been helping me with my program and im progressing nicely doing the same.
That is exactly how most competitive lifters train the deadlift. It is very legitimate

That is exactly how most competitive lifters train the deadlift. It is very legitimate
I should clarify just so no one thinks im hyping up some national competitor haha he does a few smaller comps on the east coast each year and likes to do some meets for fun as well. He's been at it for around 5 or 6 years now but he is indeed a naturally strong / big kid at 6'5" and around 280. He's only 25 but found a "calling" which he really enjoys. Didnt take long before he was hitting some pretty awesome totals imo. I should try to get him on here just to join in on the conversation because he freaking loves any talk about lifting. He's been coaching recently and is in the process of trying to quote unquote legitimize himself through school and certifications just because they look nice lol. I try my best to relay some of his tips but it is a lot to take in sometimes, even for me. It's just not a damn sprint, it's a marathon so I dont think there's any pressure to keep grinding these maxes at an attemp to gain a few extra pounds on the bar temporarily, know what im saying? Better ways to work up higher

I can't even bench like 150.

My pecs go backwards

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

I can't even bench like 150.

My pecs go backwards

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Inverted boobs?

Go ride your bike.

For what it is worth I have found a groove of only maxing about once every two weeks in each lift. for bench that means once every four times, and for squat and deads about once every 3 times. As Blu recommended I only squat 1-2x per week and dead 1x per week. I am just so much more fresh, I think especially given the weights some of us are pushing now. Make sure you are sleeping enough also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back