Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 816 Double Black Diamond Driver Preview Thead

So then how does it keep it fade biased for you?

Because if you read my post you would see I said I keep it in the low toe position, not low heel position.

I went to the range tonight and put some masking tape on the face which I think reinforced the low heel gravity core for me.

After 7 shots (and trust me my dispersion isn't usually this good)

DEE60A7A-E495-4753-B001-EA4EEF34ADE5_zpsjtqluj8a.jpg

After 15 shots

053C28CB-9390-4594-956F-7D0BB82B3D89_zpsy6glnpe6.jpg

So it looks like my mishits were low heel. So final test will be 816 gravity low heel against the 815 gravity core down (I've always had it up) and heavy weight in the heel. I know Callaway says the 816 is more forgiving but I haven't found that to be the case yet.

On a sad note my beloved 3 wood cracked in the face tonight after years of loyal service.

RIP old gal.

NszZkDH.gif

My strikes are mostly center so I have the core in the low toe side to keep it fade biased.
I picked one of these up today. Saw ball speed and as speed close to what I had with the Optiforce pro. Spin below 2600 and 14* of launch. I find this model way more forgiving than the 815 version. Can't wait to get this in play tomorrow.

Gamed this club today's pb round. The miss with this club tends to be a knuckle that loses carry distance. Results in about a 250yd drive but stays in play.

I got to hit mine today for the first time today. I really like the flight I was seeing. I had the core toe up. I only had a few range swings, but I really enjoy the shaft pairing with it.

Gamed this club today's pb round. The miss with this club tends to be a knuckle that loses carry distance. Results in about a 250yd drive but stays in play.
That was exactly why I stuck with the GBB. Mishits are extremely low spin.

That was exactly why I stuck with the GBB. Mishits are extremely low spin.
I kinda prefer my missed that way. Unless it's a force carry, those misses tend to be in play for me better than the 290 offline ones

I'm not sure callaway did to this year's DBD but it's way more forgiving. I really enjoyed hitting this today, I mean a lot. Big fan of the mate black finish on the head. Even bigger fan of the eay it launches and the control I had today.

Pre round, on the range I saw a very tight dispersion. This carried over to the course which allow for aggressive lines to shorten the 7500 monster we played. Cuts and draws all day. Worst drive came on 17, a sweeping low toe hook. Still had 237 into the hole. It's going to be tough to put the GBB in the bag

Was raining on my way home from work on Monday so stopped by Golf Galaxy for fun. Hit the 816 DBD with a 10.5° Diamana S+ 72 shaft vs. my Razor-Fit and it was no contest. my not so great swings with the DBD went as far as my good Razor-Fit swings and when I really hit it we're talking 20-25 more carry yards. And a very consistent flight pattern despite my out of the car, no warm-up swing. I moved the core around a bit and seemed to hit it well in both the high positions, but got a bit of draw with it in the heel, which I could REALLY get used to.

Now I just have to figure out how to get some $$$ together to buy one :bulgy-eyes:

Was raining on my way home from work on Monday so stopped by Golf Galaxy for fun. Hit the 816 DBD with a 10.5° Diamana S+ 72 shaft vs. my Razor-Fit and it was no contest. my not so great swings with the DBD went as far as my good Razor-Fit swings and when I really hit it we're talking 20-25 more carry yards. And a very consistent flight pattern despite my out of the car, no warm-up swing. I moved the core around a bit and seemed to hit it well in both the high positions, but got a bit of draw with it in the heel, which I could REALLY get used to.

Now I just have to figure out how to get some $$$ together to buy one :bulgy-eyes:
Stay tuned to the mp. When my udesign arrives in few weeks I'll have a 9° posted for good price :)

Stay tuned to the mp. When my udesign arrives in few weeks I'll have a 9° posted for good price :)
Dibs ?

I really need to find a way to hit one of these. The 816 fairway is so good for me, I need to try this out in a bad way.

I took my 815 and 816 DBD out to the range this evening and it was at first no contest. I was pounding the 815 high and straight with a little draw and just felt comfortable setting the club behind the ball. The 816 I was hitting low with a bit of a fade. A lot of heel cuts. The hosel on both was set and Neutral/Standard but the 816 is definitely open faced and looked like it had less loft. I realized that when I was fitted for the 815 we measured the loft and weight of the demo and found it was actually 10 degrees despite the 9 degree designation. So we found the head in the shop closest to. Over the year I had forgotten that the head was actually a 10 degree. Also my understanding is adding a degree of loft also closes the face a degree so I felt that could square up the face as well. So after a disappointing 15 balls or so I changed the setting on the 816 to Draw/+1, set it down and it just looked right. The difference from the first strike was night and day. I was shocked at the difference the adjustment made. I went ahead with the Draw (upright) setting since my irons are all upright and I was consistently fading the 816. So now the 816 is at the very least the equal of the 815 and maybe better. I'm anxious to take her to my "home" course again and see how she stacks up.

It's funny, now that I've put the Project X blank prototype shaft in, I LOVE the look of the club. She looks MEAN. I actually prefer it to the 815 now. I know I'm a wishy-washy flake but the 816 is making her case and I'm glad I've held out and kept the testing going.

Dang, I need 10.5° and a layaway plan

Has anyone noticed a pretty strong fade bias on the 816 over the 815?

I would guess that depends on core position.

Even with the core in the heel position I'm hitting predominantly fades with the 816 as opposed to the 815. Same shaft in both and I'm alternating about 15 shots with each. I know the 816 has an open face which seems square now that I've added loft.

I had it on a draw setting but didn't like the toe up at address. Maybe I should have just left as is after the previous night's successful session.

Hit this a little bit today. I liked it quite a bit better than some of Callaway's other recent offerings. Good numbers. I'm a fan of the matte black.

I'm not sure callaway did to this year's DBD but it's way more forgiving. I really enjoyed hitting this today, I mean a lot. Big fan of the mate black finish on the head. Even bigger fan of the eay it launches and the control I had today.

Pre round, on the range I saw a very tight dispersion. This carried over to the course which allow for aggressive lines to shorten the 7500 monster we played. Cuts and draws all day. Worst drive came on 17, a sweeping low toe hook. Still had 237 into the hole. It's going to be tough to put the GBB in the bag

Maybe they shifted the CG back some on the 816 model? The 815 DBD CG was supposedly WAY forward, right there in SLDR territory, which contributed to it's SLDRish low MOI. Only SLDR 430 and Aeroburner were farther forward than 815 DBD on the chart I saw (it had about 20 of the mainstream 2015 drivers + the SLDR 460 and 430 for reference). I've not seen anything published on the 816 DBD CG yet so not sure if they did move CG back, but that seems to be the current path for many OEMs.

Callaway has produced to of the best drivers I've played. The 816 is consistent, long and forgiving. The work horse of the two. The GBB seems to be more style with a flash of power. Both are unique in their own way both are solidly in the top category for me.

Hit the range again and it's definitely settled. I'm all in with the 816 with the Gravity Core in the heel, heavy side up. The hosel will remain +1/Draw. I hit two or three drives tonight that I've never hit at this range with any driver. The rest were my usual draw ball flight with a few push fades when my swing would get offline. I've enjoyed reading everyone else's experiences and you guys kept me from giving up on the 816 when things didn't fall into place immediately.

Back