Leauge Play... Do you? How many? Poll Included

Leauge Play... Do you? How many? Poll Included

Votes: 32 56.1%

Votes: 17 29.8%

Votes: 6 10.5%
  • 3 or more

Votes: 2 3.5%

• Total voters
I play in a men's league on Tuesday and a scramble league on Thursday. Skins most every Saturday & Sunday morning.

I play in a Tuesday league on our course on post. Each team puts up two twosomes for 9 hole handicapped match play. Some people pretend it is the US Open and it will take 3+ hours to play. There has been grumbling which I support to have rotating format (4 ball, best ball, alt shot...).

Have never played in a league and don't plan on it in the future. Maybe when I join a workplace I will consider it, but I've seen the good and the real bad of leagues around my area.

I play in two leagues. The tuesday night format is is a moving target. 2 man best ball, 4 man BB, 4 man scramble etc. It's always a four man team and you play with only your team each week. It's a nice course, but they only play one side of the course for most of the summer, that bothers me. But I really enjoy those I golf with.

The thursday night league is my favorite part of golf. Four man teams but you play match play, you against a different person from another team. Match up two teams then match up the players based on handicap and then go try and beat the guy over nine holes. It's competitive and has made my golf game much better. League golf is extremely fun for me.

I do a weekly skins league, no fees, you just have to pay for your 9 hole round, and its 5 bucks to be in on skins, and 1 buck for long drive, and 1 buck for closest to the pin. Each week they rotate playing the front and back 9. You dont have to put money on anything if you dont want.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I use to, but my wife likes me to be home after work, and since I play on a traveling softball team who also plays rec league two times a week, then my third out of 7 nights would be pressing it for her. Which sucks for me, as I know I would enjoy that more, probably.
Anyway, I would suggest if you haven't and you can, to do it. You'll meet some new people, and have fun at the same time.

I play in a senior league, made up mostly of retirees. Composed of 2-man teams, we tee off shotgun-style at 7:30 am, and during the hot months of July and August we tee off at 6:30 am to avoid the heat. Lots of good competition.

My course does wed night 2 man match play. I met some new friends and golf buddies and also met some people that just plain sucked. Not at golf, at life...

I've never played in a league but am looking into joining one this year. I think it sounds like fun and a great way to meet people.

I just got back from my club's Mens Golf Association meeting. This was our fist one for they year. We had a large number of people there, and we discussed starting an afternoon league. I would be so pumped this we could start this up this year.

I don't currently but I would really like to start playing in some kind of competitive league. I've played with many awesome guys and been invited into a few foursomes that I turned down but I'm starting to wish I had joined.
Memberships here are super crazy expensive and required if you want to play in the league so I don't think that will happen.

I really would like to but there aren't any that fit my schedule very well, there is a non competitive coed league on Friday nights at the course closest to our house that I wish I could get my wife to join with me.

I played in a league with my neighbors last year. 2 person teams where player a plays a and b plays b. Each match is handicapped and a point system is in place that's pretty easy to follow. Last year was the first season and we are expecting at least 2 more teams for 2014 (total 16 golfers). I mostly enjoyed the camaraderie and getting to know my neighbor's. Also having a set day for golf was great!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I have a question is a league different than a mens club that has regular tournaments? I only ask because I am about to join a mens club but if a league would have more frequent nights I may be more interested in that.

Never played in a league before, but plannning on joining one this year.

I subbed in a league last year, but I'll be in it this year. Tuesday night men's league that's pretty competitive. It's handicapped and team based. I'm really looking forward to playing.

I played one a few years ago but didn't really enjoy it, all everyone wanted to do was get drunk and screw around.

I play in one league. I preferred our old match play format from several years ago, really seemed to provide the most competition between all levels of golfers. Best thing about league is I get to look forward to playing with a great group of guys. Conversely, the worst thing about our league is that there is no set start time. We show up whenever on Wednesdays, so we aren't 'forced' to mingle with those outside our usual group.

~Rock

Simple.
Do you play in a golf league? If so, how many?
Do you prefer a particular format over another?
What is the best/worst thing about league play?

Myself, Last year I played in one league. This year considering playing in 3.
The league last year was a handicapped team league with an "a" and a "b" golfer.

This year, I will be playing in that same league (Fri night), and this year I am considering playing in another team league.(Wednesday night), and a league where there are no teams but is also handicapped. (Tuesday night).
For me, the best thing about league play is of course getting out to play,and making friends, Ive also improved my game each year/ the worst is sometimes Friday night games hustling back to my sons high school football games,

No league. I played in a public course, 250 member, tournament men's club for 22 years, but it was not a league. We didn't play weekly. We had a couple of tournaments each month (most were 18 or 36 holes) with varying formats for each (from straight stroke play to a member-guest to a 5 man scramble in the early spring), as well as 4 bracketed match play competitions which ran all season long. The big one each year was the 54 hole club championship. Play was strictly by the Rules of Golf.

:act-up:I used to play on a men's club Thursday / Friday / Sunday mornings. ( 6 to 7 hr rounds).. And then 9 hole league with steel union Monday / Tuesday evenings ..9 holes (3 plus hours and lots of beer). Now with my son..I have no time for either.. I miss the fun and laughs and good times more than anything..but was so so time consuming. Maybe I will try again in 10 years :(

leagues are a blast, just put some time aside to make it happen...

:act-up:I used to play on a men's club Thursday / Friday / Sunday mornings. ( 6 to 7 hr rounds).. And then 9 hole league with steel union Monday / Tuesday evenings ..9 holes (3 plus hours and lots of beer). Now with my son..I have no time for either.. I miss the fun and laughs and good times more than anything..but was so so time consuming. Maybe I will try again in 10 years :(

leagues are a blast, just put some time aside to make it happen...

Sounds like your leagues were the sort that most players despise. 7 hour rounds?? That's nuts. On my home course leagues and tournament clubs were under the same pace requirements as anyone else - in fact even more so because we were supposed to know what we were doing. New leagues were usually dogged by the ranger until he learned whether they would need prodding or not. The older leagues either knew the requirements, or we knew which ones had to be watched and "helped" along. 2½ hours for 9 holes was considered extreme, and leagues were even disbanded for not showing a willingness to improve. My Men's club had it's own pace policy which was even more strict than what the course required.

Back