theoverswinger

Reaction score
Handicap
16.2 UNHS
I think most of us, if not all, have already seen by now the dreaded 6-putt. It was gut-wrenching for me to watch. Golf is unique as a sport because us amateurs can empathize with the tour pros on some things. One of them are errors. No, let me correct myself. That wasn't an error. That was a disaster.

It brings up to me all those cringe-inducing moments before that we've watched: the whiff, the shank, the wild drive, the chunked chip, the many tries out of the bunker, the multiple putts.

Which brings me to some questions.

1. What is your most feared disaster in golf?

2. Why?

3. Has it happened to you?

4. What are you going to do to stop it?

Here are my own answers.

1. The 4-putt. Thankfully, that was my max, to my best recollection.

2. Because it is frustrating. I have all the physical and mental abilities to sink the frigging putt, and yet I can't do it. Overthinking and underthinking the darn thing will produce the same results.

3. Sure did.

4. I need to give the putt enough respect, but I also shouldn't overthink it. More focus, less thinking.

A survey right up my ally ...

Nailing a house

2. Why?

Because I hate doing property damage

Oh yes ... many times ..

I have taken lessons and basically learned to slice proof myself ... a slice still shows up, but its not so far right its actually considered left any longer ...

Last edited:
That moment you hit one in the houses and wait to hear if you broke glass or not is always fun.

I think most of us, if not all, have already seen by now the dreaded 6-putt. It was gut-wrenching for me to watch. Golf is unique as a sport because us amateurs can empathize with the tour pros on some things. One of them are errors. No, let me correct myself. That wasn't an error. That was a disaster.

It brings up to me all those cringe-inducing moments before that we've watched: the whiff, the shank, the wild drive, the chunked chip, the many tries out of the bunker, the multiple putts.

Which brings me to some questions.

2. Why?

Here are my own answers.

1. The 4-putt. Thankfully, that was my max, to my best recollection.

2. Because it is frustrating. I have all the physical and mental abilities to sink the frigging putt, and yet I can't do it. Overthinking and underthinking the darn thing will produce the same results.

3. Sure did.

4. I need to give the putt enough respect, but I also shouldn't overthink it. More focus, less thinking.

Just to set the record straight, it was actually a 7 putt according to the announcer - we only saw the 6 putts that started from 2 feet. :surrender:

1) I'm not sure I have a specific fear of disaster. Things can go wrong most anywhere. My worst hole in memory had several things break down along the way, so I guess my best answer is my worse disaster is to lose for a period any connection to something resembling a golf swing.

2) Because that can really make a big number and you don't feel like you have any way to stop the bleeding.

3) Yes, in the 1991 club championship. With a 10 handicap I took a 12 on a par 4, then followed with a 10 on a par 4 the next hole. In both cases I hit at least one shot OB, and 2 or more in the water. I 3 putted both holes after taking far too many strokes to reach the green.

4) When it happened to me, there was no way to stop it. I lost all feel for any kind of a swing, and although the rest of the round was not as bad as those 2 holes, I never hit a decent shot the entire round, on my way to a 103. The next day was slightly better with a 88, although still not on my game. The second weekend of the tournament I shot 74-78, so something got better in between ( actually just back to a more normal game), although I didn't practice at all that week.

Just to set the record straight, it was actually a 7 putt according to the announcer - we only saw the 6 putts that started from 2 feet.

1) I'm not sure I have a specific fear of disaster. Things can go wrong most anywhere. My worst hole in memory had several things break down along the way, so I guess my best answer is my worse disaster is to lose for a period any connection to something resembling a golf swing.

2) Because that can really make a big number and you don't feel like you have any way to stop the bleeding.

3) Yes, in the 1991 club championship. With a 10 handicap I took a 12 on a par 4, then followed with a 10 on a par 4 the next hole. In both cases I hit at least one shot OB, and 2 or more in the water. I 3 putted both holes after taking far too many strokes to reach the green.

4) When it happened to me, there was no way to stop it. I lost all feel for any kind of a swing, and although the rest of the round was not as bad as those 2 holes, I never hit a decent shot the entire round, on my way to a 103. The next day was slightly better with a 88, although still not on my game. The second weekend of the tournament I shot 74-78, so something got better in between ( actually just back to a more normal game), although I didn't practice at all that week.

Perfect time for a beer between shots! If everything is going to hell around me, I might as well enjoy it.

Also, I'm not quite sure it was a 7 putt. I read somewhere that he actually stuck his pitch close to 3 feet, which makes it all the more painful.

I have a lot of respect for the Big E, and I hope he overcomes that hurdle soonest.

1. What is your most feared disaster in golf? Slicing multiple provisional balls out of play.

2. Why? Because each of them is a stroke and distance penalty not to mention $3.50 each, although by the fourth one you're pulling out the Noodle you found.

3. Has it happened to you? Yes. I sliced 4 of them before I hit one in play. It led to a 14. I almost snapped my driver in two.

4. What are you going to do to stop it? Teeing off my provisional ball with my 4 iron. Or better yet, not using my driver in the first place.

Back