Rule's you would change?

The reason that OB is stroke and distance is it's SUPPOSED to be more penal than hitting into the lake. It's off the golf course, not an integral hazard....

tell that to my home course....there are several areas marked as OOB that are not off the course at all...just very heavily wooded and grown up...so to prevent guys spending 10 minutes looking for a ball they mark it OOB. For areas truly outside the confines of the course I get what you are saying but when I can walk 5 feet off the fairway and find my ball but its OOB is ridiculous.

Rule's you would change?

tell that to my home course....there are several areas marked as OOB that are not off the course at all...just very heavily wooded and grown up...so to prevent guys spending 10 minutes looking for a ball they mark it OOB. For areas truly outside the confines of the course I get what you are saying but when I can walk 5 feet off the fairway and find my ball but its OOB is ridiculous.

You should contact your state golf association and complain. On course OB is often used to separate holes where safety is concerned, and playing down the wrong fairway may offer an advantage or shorten the hole.

Typically a course would red stake the woods if they want to speed up play by marking the edges as a hazard. You would be able to play your ball if it's easily found, but can drop with a one stroke penalty if not.

That not what OB is for.

Last edited:
I would allow spike marks to be repaired on the green. No changes to OB or anything else.

Back