Rule's you would change?

Scrap Iron

On The Eh Team
Reaction score
Handicap
Hero Shots
What are some rules you guys would change or get rid of.
I would get rid of stroke and distance. I think it slows the game down. I would change it to taking a two club drop from where the ball went o/b and take a 1 stroke penalty.

Rule's you would change?

Changing OB to not include distance is too lenient. Two stoke penalty with a drop I can agree with, or go hit again. The way to speed up play is to hit a provisional, however many players don't know how to do that correctly.

Changing OB to not include distance is too lenient. Two stoke penalty with a drop I can agree with, or go hit again. The way to speed up play is to hit a provisional, however many players don't know how to do that correctly.

I would be content with 2 strokes.

Divots as ground under repair

Tap Tap Taparoo

All stakes would be the same. One stroke penalty drop anywhere on the hole, up to the point of landing, no closer to the hole.

Also, tap down spike marks and anchoring putters would forever be allowed

stroke and distance could go and r4eplace with drop n 2strokes works for me. Lost ball imo doesnt have to be the same as OOb either. 1 stroke and drop just like a hazrd would work imo. And of course no relief from a divot can go bye bye too. And also having no leaves fall from trees on a practice stroke is a bit too much also imo.

The main one I'd change would be the lost ball stroke and distance. That really slows things down, as many times you hit it somewhere it shouldn't get lost or think you know right where it is...so you don't hit a provisional. Plus on tour it is rarely an issue with an army fans, marshals, and officials.

I think if you land in a footprint in a sand trap you should be able to rake it out and place the ball. My reasoning is that someone else's negligence is having a negative impact on your golf game. Also divots in the fairway - you should be allowed to drop the ball no nearer to the hole within a pre-determined distance from the original lie.

Play OB like a hazard, but without the option to play the ball.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, you should be able to fix spike marks.

Spike marks and stroke and distance - to me one is enough

I agree. You can't reward distance while going OB. Whenever there is any question, a provisional should be hit.

One for me is the divot. It is and should be considered ground under repair. When your in one, you should get a free drop.

To me hitting a ball OOB is no different than hitting it in the water or losing it in any other way. Drop where it went out and take a stroke. I also agree divots should be ground under repair.

Also, tap down spike marks and anchoring putters would forever be allowed

If only the USGA would worry about important things.

The reason that OB is stroke and distance is it's SUPPOSED to be more penal than hitting into the lake. It's off the golf course, not an integral hazard....

Rule's you would change?

Lost ball and OB, one stroke and drop. That's the way many play anyway. Provisionals are a waste of time. You still go look. 1/2 the casual players out there are just as likely to lose the provisional. And many times a ball that's just a little off the fairway, that you never expected to lose, is lost. Then what...then go back to the tee? Dated rule from a different era. Needs to go to make the game faster and friendlier.

Last edited:
I find provisional tee shots don't really speed up play because you are still out in the white stakes looking for your ball for 10 minutes.

I'd get rid of stroke and distance
I'd allow marks on the green to be repaired

So would you treat a lost ball inside the golf course different than hitting a ball OB?

If the penalty for OB was simply one stroke and drop where you think it went out, or the penalty for lost simply one stroke and drop where you wish you would have found it, are these really penal enough?

For the casual round, we all know no one goes back to the tee to hit again... In my case I take an X on the card because I take my handicap very seriously. Most people do not in my experience. They take the 1 stroke and play on anyway - dropping in the fairway or light rough...

Should the rule change?

Think about it in the context of the game.

If you hit the ball off the golf course, is that not a more severe penalty than hitting into the marsh between you and the green?

Spike marks and stroke and distance - to me one is enough

I would agree with those two....the stroke and distance one is a PIA....why should it be more penal to hit it into OOB than a water hazard?

Back