locked and reloaded
Reaction score
Handicap
Geography
11_zps36570952.png

How do you play this hole?

-558 yards from the whites
-250 yards to the first hazard
-Between the two streams, there is a large elevation increase that causes a blind second shot.
-You need at least a 200 yard shot to clear the second stream if you lay up short of the first.
-150 yards from the top of the hill to the green.
-Red circles are hazards

Do you try to clear both streams with your second shot? Or do you lay up?
What about clearing the first stream on your drive and trying to go for it in two?

This is one beast of a par 5, and to be honest. I am happy with a par or bogey on this hole. Very tough to score on this one.

Driver, 5i,5i hopefully on the green, if not I'm chipping on.

3W
5I to front of 2nd stream
7I-8I in

no sense in trying to get cute, this one has the potential to be a BIG blowup hole

3W
6I to front of 2nd stream
Soft PW into green

no sense in trying to get cute, this one has the potential to be a BIG blowup hole

It definitely has potential. Not speaking from experience though.... :alien:

3w, 5i, PW?

Something like that, not going to lie, a little confused by the graphic.

I would be playing it in an almost identical fashion to the yardages marked on that illustration.

The hazard looks pretty narrow, what is the carry over the first hazard? My rule of thumb is never try to carry any hazard over 255 yds unless I'm downwind, downhill, or above 3000 ft. elevation.

Not knowing the exact carry, choke 3 wood off the tee(245 yds), 19* hybrid to 80-100 yards, lob or sand wedge approach.

Driver to clear the first stream then 4 hybrid to just over the second stream then chip it close

Driver, then either 3w or 6i depending on my drive and then 5i or 9iron about into the hole for eagle :) I haven't played Woodcrest in probably 8 years and honestly don't remember how I played the hole.

Had to change mine, my math was off

If I'm reading the distances correctly, I dislike this hole without ever playing it. Any hole that forces you to lay up on a tee shot on a par 5 is a poor design IMO. Anyways, I guess I would go 3H, 8 iron short of 2nd creek then 8, 9 or PW to green depending on how much elevation change is there and pin placement.

Driver, then either 3w or 6i depending on my drive and then 5i or 9iron about into the hole for eagle :) I haven't played Woodcrest in probably 8 years and honestly don't remember how I played the hole.

We played there for tyno's diaper/baby party thinger. That hole was pure torture.

Totally agree, a 558 uphill par 5 should not take driver out of your hands. I don't return to courses with holes like this one.

What is the carry need to carry the first hazard from the tee?

I checked it out on google maps and see no other option than short of 1st creek, short of 2nd creek, into green. The 'hazards', or at least the area around them seems wide....and there's something funny going on after the 2nd creek.

What's confusing to you?

It has nothing to do with your description. Just how much uphill is it? Also the big 11 in the middle throws me off haha.

Driver, 4 iron, whatver I have left!

Driver, wedge. #Internet

Depending on wind, I'd hit driver over the first creek, then consider 3W to the green before ultimately pulling a 6i or 5i for a layup. The amount of uphill would be a factor in the second shot.

I am hitting driver as far as I can. If the shot is 200+ AND uphill to clear the second creek, I am just going to hit my three wood as hard as I can and I will still be short of the creek, because I am still probably 30 to 50 yards short of the first hazard on my drive. Figuring a 235 yard drive, maybe! Then whatever it takes to go for the green. Then probably chip or pitch on.

I checked it out on google maps and see no other option than short of 1st creek, short of 2nd creek, into green. The 'hazards', or at least the area around them seems wide....and there's something funny going on after the 2nd creek.

That's where the hill drastically drops off before that creek, depending on the time of the year, its usually all grown up around it. Being down there is very bad.

Think of it like a big mound in front of you. The green is on the same elevation as tee box, but you have this big ridge in the middle with these two creeks that flank both sides of that ridge.

FWIW, I like the hole. I like to see thinking man's courses and seeing a hole that could be played a number of different ways.

Back