Callaway X Hot & X Hot Pro Irons Preview

Second round in the books today. Much drier conditions and I am starting to get these newfound distances dialed in. Really liking what I'm seeing so far. The XH KBS Tour combo is producing a nice mid-high trajectory that, when well struck, just does not want to leave its line. Hit 8 greens today with a few of them chalked up to mis-clubbing still early on.

I was long on the first, around 35* teeing off, and I just pulled too much club. Came up short a couple times after that expecting a bit too much. Topped out in the low 50s. I basically was hitting my same club as I would for summertime 80+ weather yardages with the Razr X irons but just a couple yards longer. Measured the 6 at 180 carry twice and that is +5 of the old set, at 50*.
Loving these irons right now and can't wait to get them fully dialed in. The distance gains have already knocked a hybrid out of the bag, as it is now my 5i yardage. The forgiveness is amazing as well. The misses are fringe or very close compared to 15 yds short. Gonna be a great golf season!

How would you guys rate the turf interaction of the XHP. I know they have a decent amount of bounce but when I run my fingers over the leading edge it feels slightly sharp to me. Now the XForged leading edge is amazingly smooth/round. I am curious what guys who are sweeper/pickers are getting for results. The XHP is a GREAT feeling iron but I have only hit off the mats...we got too much snow still for the grass demo.

Jlit,

Did you see gapping issues in the 7, 8, 9, and PW? Looks to be where the biggest loft differences are on the spec sheet.

The only one that is noticeable so far is the pw-aw. From what I've seen so far, this appears to be a 20 yd gap for me. Other than that, the gaps seem to be in the 12-13 range throughout.

Last edited:
I hit the X Hots today and was quite impressed with the feel and forgiveness in the irons. I was getting similar distances with 6 iron. I was using stock shaft which I think was 85g. Great club from Callaway.

How would you guys rate the turf interaction of the XHP. I know they have a decent amount of bounce but when I run my fingers over the leading edge it feels slightly sharp to me. Now the XForged leading edge is amazingly smooth/round. I am curious what guys who are sweeper/pickers are getting for results. The XHP is a GREAT feeling iron but I have only hit off the mats...we got too much snow still for the grass demo.

OC -- I'm more of a sweeper/picker myself and I love these irons. They work surprisingly well out of the rough too. They just plow right on through it. The leading edge is sharp enough to slice through tie lies too so I think you will be pleasantly surprised with the turf interaction.

I hit the X Hots today and was quite impressed with the feel and forgiveness in the irons. I was getting similar distances with 6 iron. I was using stock shaft which I think was 85g. Great club from Callaway.

Did you hit them at the PGA SS? I'll have mine at the range next weekend so try them off the turf too :thumb:

No, OG it was actually at Golfsmith. They were had the Cally rep on site and I took a few swings. Got a nice X Hot hat for giving them a go. I even went and looked at a set in the store. Didn't pull the trigger. I have something else up my sleeve. :act-up:

as much as I fully admit callaway makes good clubs, their irons never really worked for me. Tried x-hot pro and just didn't feel comfortable at all throughout the swing :-(

I know I said I was going to give a review on these after playing yesterday, but it was 35 degrees...my back was killing me...and lets just say my swing was acting like it. I will say that on the very few shots I hit well these clubs feel superb. I am a little taken back by the amount of offset on the PW (especially for the Pro version) but I only had to hit it once and it actually flew very well. On a day that my 5i was only going 160 I don't think I can give these a fair review right now, but as soon as the weather clears I will be back out there trying to get a comprehensive review posted for those that are curious.

I want to hit these, I've pretty much given up fighting it, I need to hit the XHP's.

down goes the i20's

It would take a hell of an iron to do that. I play these too well and I have NEVER been this comfortable/confident in any other club(s).

I do want to hit these and see though, never hurts to give a few swings.

I want to hit these, I've pretty much given up fighting it, I need to hit the XHP's.

Don't do it Jman!!! You will be sucker punched by their sweetness :desire:

It would take a hell of an iron to do that. I play these too well and I have NEVER been this comfortable/confident in any other club(s).

I do want to hit these and see though, never hurts to give a few swings.

The famous kiss of death quote to many an iron set this year.

About to pull the trigger on the XHP 3-AW with upgraded PXi's for $675. Anyone want to talk me out of it? lol

About to pull the trigger on the XHP 3-AW with upgraded PXi's for $675. Anyone want to talk me out of it? lol

Nope, love mine after two range sessions

I might go with Kbs tour over PXis

I just want to know where you're getting that price. Upcharge on the PXi's for the X Hot Pros is ridiculous as quoted on Callaway's website.

Have you ever had the light bulb go off in your head on the last or second to last hole of your round. You know the one that makes you realize what you have been doing wrong. Well I have and had on last week while in Vegas.

The first time I hit the Xhot pro irons was at a demo day earlier in the year. I hit the PX95, Kbs tour and C-tapers. I wasn't a huge fan of the 95s, but really liked the tours and loved the ctaper combos. Jeremy, Callaway fitter agreed the Ctapers where working best for me. Well they are a heavier shaft and I have been loading quite heavy in recent months on my down swing.
Fast forward to last week in Vegas. That same load and agreesive swing was not working for the xhot pros I curren,y have in the bag. This is due to the px95 shafts. They are similar in weight as my Kbs 90s that are in my R11s. The shaft in my hands like a smooth delivery. A smooth delivery will maximize the performance of the Xhots. So a few smooth swings later, and I am back. I proceed to flush a 6i 195+ over the back of the green.

anyway I was anxious to see if my theory was true so a grabbed an hour yesterday at Shingle Creek in the AM with a bucket of balls. The wind was blowing across the range so I was want to stand the ball up against the breeze with a mid flight draw. Every swing was not a success but the vast majority of my shots had a slight R/L or straight. I even pealed off a few high fades that held their lines quite well.

For me it's amazing how well these clubs perform with various shafts. I know that most don't like to change their swing to accommodate the club but it can be done. Not the swing plane but the tempo. The distances I am see with these clubs as they are and the playability makes me like them more each time I take them out. Callaway really has created a wonderful gold experience in the Xhot Pros. Whether it be PX95, DG S300 tours, Kbs tour or a Recoil these clubs will perform.

I am getting my X-Hot Pros tomorrow, After hitting my friends last week, I was in love. I had hit them before in the store, and I liked them then, but hitting them on the course was like night and day. The X-Hot Pros just fely amazing. I can't wait to have them in my bag.

I am getting my X-Hot Pros tomorrow, After hitting my friends last week, I was in love. I had hit them before in the store, and I liked them then, but hitting them on the course was like night and day. The X-Hot Pros just fely amazing. I can't wait to have them in my bag.
I see they have made their way into your signature

One reason I went with the KBS Tadashi. I had to slow my tempo a bit too much with the PX95 to get the right shot.

Forecast actually calls for 50* weather here this weekend. I haven't seen that temp since last fall, so I'm excited and hopefully can get out and play 9 somewhere. I'm sure the courses will be packed with all the eager golfers, like myself, so I can finally see the irons in play outdoors.

So, I'm doing the happy dance!!! :bananadance::bananadance::bananadance::banana::blob::blob::golf2::joy:

I got home from work and the new X HOT PRO's were sitting on my doorstep!!! Already unboxed and in the bag. Hopefully heading out to the range by the end of the week!

Dan

Back