Do you like playing with better golfers?

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Was talking to some guys last night during my sim league, and the topic came up about playing with golfers who are better than you. Not just a few shots better than you, but clearly better than you. Some of the guys who were in that 14-20 handicap range felt a lot more intimidated being around golfers who were really good at the game. Even one who is a low-mid handicap player thought it was tough for him to play around a low handicap player.

So what are your thoughts? Do you enjoy playing with players who are much better than you? Do you learn from how they approach the game, or are you more intimidated by being around those who score better?

Absolutely I love playing with better players than me. I like to see if they approach certain shots differently or how they look at a putt, etc. Plus someone who can put a really good move on a ball is fun to watch as well.

Nah. I don't fell uncomfortable at all. I gave up my ego about the game years ago.

I usually play quite a bit better when I play with better golfers. Can be 5-8 strokes better.
I take it more seriously and don't want to hold up the game.

Love playing with better golfers. I would rather play with a scratch golfer than someone closer to my cap.

I love playing with better golfers. My PB came on a day one one guy in the group shot 68 (-4) and another shot 74 (+2). Fortunately, I get to play with better golfers all the time…ha.

I enjoy playing with great players as long as they aren't an arrogant arse.

I have no problem playing with better golfers...builds their ego...haha.

I love playing with people who are better than me. It usually pushes me to play better, and it also shows me what their doing to score lower. Fantastic learning experience.

I think it depends on the better golfer. People who use skill or knowledge to their advantage or stature drive me absolutely insane. I loathe it. Sadly, many who've achieved scratch or better seem to have that "you should listen to me because look at my handicap" attitude towards lesser skilled players and I'd rather kick a rock down a road barefoot than golf with them.

For the players who just enjoy the experience and share stories and conversation on a level with everyone playing, I genuinely enjoy their time.

I love it. Not only does it put pressure on me to be better, but it shows me how better can be done. As with anything, it is an amazing learning experience to thoroughly get my a$$ kicked.

I don't mind playing with a better golfer. I always learn something new and it makes me really focus when playing.

I always try to play with better golfers. I like trying to get new ideas about how to approach the game and the course.

I try and test myself as well and play against them as I see it only helping in the long run.

I do. Most of the time it gives me more confidence because it lets me see that several parts of my game are equal to a low single digit handicap player. Also reminds me of the small things they do, and that I don't do, to be good.

I like playing with people who are better than me, that usually brings out the best in my game. I'll watch them and just not really mimick what they're doing swing wise, but confidence and just overall way they play the game.

it's very enlightening to see how they get around a golf course. you can absolutely learn a lot of playing with better golfers. generally, i love it and really look forward to the opportunity. but every now and then i completely forget how to play the game of golf and then i feel bad because i know i'm affecting the better golfer's enjoyment of his round as i hack it all over the place and swear up and down "i NEVER play like this."

I like playing with people who are better than me, that usually brings out the best in my game. I'll watch them and just not really mimick what they're doing swing wise, but confidence and just overall way they play the game.

You're welcome.
I kid I kid.

I usually play with at least one guy that is a 5hcp or better and when I do, I find I play/focus better comparing to when I'm not.

Absolutely, it helps me focus on my own game better. I learn things at the same time, it's always a win-win!

I honestly enjoy playing golf with everyone but when I am playing with someone who is considered a "player" I notice that subconsciously I up my game and I am more focused. I really think it is because I play at a faster pace due to not looking for golf balls. I get the same way when I am playing in a competition.

As long as they're not demeaning or anything like that I actually prefer it. It's a little humbling, but I think it makes me play better.

Every chance I get, I put myself up against players that are better. I can hang or the most part but seem to always make a mistake or two a side that separates us at the end of the day.

Every chance I get, I put myself up against players that are better. I can hang or the most part but seem to always make a mistake or two a side that separates us at the end of the day.

You got to play with a pretty good player last week.

I enjoy it. Able to watch subtle nuances that can potentially help me.

Back