Apes Hill Club, St James, Barbados - Course Review

Callawaygolfpro

Reaction score
This was my first time to the island of Barbados. I have learned that the island tends to be more of a destination for Europeans rather than those of us in the States, although I am not really sure why. I hope that you’ll soon wonder as well.

The Apes Hill Club first built grounds to host Polo competitions, although the golf course was always in the master plan for the site. Interestingly the developer had never played golf before building the site. The golf course opened for play in late 2009 and sits 1000 feet above sea level quite literally in the center of northern Barbados. The course is par 72 and 7150 yards from the championship tees. It is also in the 2% of courses worldwide to become a Certified Audubon Cooperative Sanctuary for its environmental and wildlife preservation efforts. It is a private facility with membership reserved to property owners at Apes Hill Club but currently offers limited tee times for visitors.

I found that Apes Hill Club has many things to offer every caliber of player. From the course conditions and views on nearly every hole, to the service of the staff before and after the round. They are definitely working to establish a new standard of excellence in the Caribbean.

We played course on February 14[SUP]th[/SUP], 2013. The course description is from the championship tees.

The course starts out with a demanding all uphill 530 yard par 5. The Apes Hill website mentions that it plays in to the prevailing wind. We did get some good winds during the round before a small rainstorm, but after that it was fairly calm. For most players this will be a true three-shot hole but longer hitters could get a chance at eagle with two very well struck shots. Par is a good score for most here.

25p1dep.jpg

(Looking to the west from the center of number one fairway. Tee complex on the right side of the picture. Caribbean Sea just above the tree line a few miles away.)

Hole 2 is a great looking par 3 playing 190 yards. The green sits left to right in relation to the tee box complex. Out of bounds down the right side and you can’t miss long or short left. The green has a lot of elevation so hitting below the hole is recommended.

2l9qmxi.jpg

(Looking from the front of the championship tees, pin to the left of the two palm trees and in front of the coral rocks beyond the green and guarded by creek.)

Hole 3 is a 395 yard par 4. Not much to this hole. It is a straightaway shot with plenty of room to land in the elevated fairway, you just don’t want to miss right off the tee. Sadly it is one of the more forgettable holes on the course.

Hole 4 is the longest par 4 on the front nine playing 430 yards. Definitely a reward visually following the last hole. The championship tee complex is elevated with a forced carry to a very sloped valley style fairway and it also provides your first tail-wind tee shot.

1605rmr.jpg

(The dogleg right, hole 4. The green is not in view and from the picture is to the right of the palm tree. Aim at the bunker in the center of the picture and you should be just fine.)

Hole 5 is a beautiful par 3 playing 185 yards from yet another elevated tee complex. The Apes Hill Club website claims, “it is one of the most photographed par threes in the Caribbean” and it’s hard to not believe them. With an elevated green complex, you do not want to come up short specifically left. It has a very large green with three distinct levels.

10ga7bm.jpg

(The picture of hole 5 on the Apes Hill website makes mine look like it was done with an Etch A Sketch.)

The par 5 hole 6 is the longest hole on the golf course at a stunning 645 yards. The tee box provides your first view of the Caribbean Sea since hole one. It plays shorter than the scorecard says because of the tailwind and it being downhill. Getting an eagle putt on this green would be difficult without being able to hit a very high second shot. The green slopes from front to back to help defend from the assistance you get with the wind and the elevation change.

e5fs7k.jpg

(The view from the tee box. This is where the quick rain shower came in. It lasted less than 10 minutes and we had great weather the rest of the round.)

Hole 7 is a par 4 playing 425 yards. A dogleg left that again isn’t very memorable. Not much to this hole. A good drive down the right center will leave a good angle in to the green. Par is a good score but a birdie can be made, just don’t miss left on your shot to the green.

Hole 8 is another downhill par 3 playing 195 yards and provides another view of the Caribbean Sea. We had a good tailwind when we reached this hole. The pin was cut front left and was very inviting. As you can imagine with the extreme change in elevation and helping wind it was easy to miss-club and come up short, which I did.

21mb52a.jpg

Hole 9 is a described as a risk-reward par 5 at 595 yards but as I sit here I simply cannot remember it beyond the scorecard and the website. I also don’t have a picture of it. It plays fairly straight off the tee and aiming right-center will provide a good angle to the green they say. I do recall hitting a big drive off the tee and making par, that’s it. Sad.

The back nine is where this course simply shines. You start to work back in to the quarry that the site was built on as well as the jungle.

Sadly to some degree the back nine doesn’t start off all that excitedly, although getting to the 10[SUP]th[/SUP] tee box requires driving through a small portion of jungle which is pretty neat. Hole 10 plays 530 yards as an uphill dogleg left par 5. There are a few homes near the green that have a stunning view. The fairway is very wide and slopes to the valley to the left, the green is large and accepts most shots.

29ncopg.jpg

(View from the fairway of hole 10 where the dogleg turns left. The green is just to the right visually of the V in the trees at the top of the hill.)

Holes 11 through 14 were described by Golf World like this: “Holes 11 to 14 provide an Amen Corner every bit as dramatic and invigorating as the one we all know in Georgia. These holes tiptoe over the brow of the island, disappear amongst jungle and rough coral outcrops, to provide the most sensational string of holes that can be found anywhere. It’s that good!” I have not played Augusta National so I can’t say I agree with them completely but of the courses I have played these holes rival any four in a row…and that includes 6 to 9 at Pebble Beach.

Hole 11 has yet another stunning view from the tee box. Looking to your left provides nothing but Caribbean Sea. It is a short par 4 playing only 365 yards and leads you in to the jungle part of the course. Yes I said jungle. A very self explanatory hole that with even a modest drive leaves you with a short to mid-iron second shot.

w89sog.jpg

(Panoramic shot of hole 11. Caribbean Sea to the left and hole down along the cart path on the right side of the picture.)

The signature par 3 number 12 plays 225 yards. This is a very impressive hole that was cut right from the jungle and gives your first view of the Atlantic Ocean. It tends to play in to the wind which counters the downhill elevation allowing it to play nearly exact yardage. So many different features on this hole from 15 foot deep bunkers short left, coral rock, and native green monkey’s playing in the trees around you. One of the best par three’s I have ever played.

10hn7yu.jpg

(My boss hitting his tee shot on the 12[SUP]th[/SUP]. The Atlantic Ocean beyond the tree line. Simply a stunning hole.)

Of all the holes on the course I took the most pictures of number 13. Talk is cheap for this slight dogleg left par 4 playing 435 yards. Take in the views below.

2lw6p6x.jpg

(Looking down the hole from the championship tees. You can see some of the Atlantic Ocean on the left side of this picture. PS, there is a monkey in this picture on the forward tee and no I’m not talking about my boss. Let me know if you see it.)

21kvx55.jpg

(View from the fairway. Natural coral rock on the right side in the rough. Massive drop of at least 60 yards over the end of the fairway, turning back right of the green and then climbing back up to the green.)

10qyjwp.jpg

(Have you ever had a better view while on a golf course once you reach a green? This picture really doesn’t do it justice.)

Hole 14 is another par 4 playing 365 yards uphill and keeps on leading you through the jungle. Not an incredibly challenging hole but once again the view is great. It has a very large green that you’ll need to make sure to hit accurately in order to get a putt for birdie.

25qdr1d.jpg

(My tee shot on hole 14, kind of hard to concentrate with the view before you hit your shot.)

Hole 15 is a downhill par 5 playing 595 yards. The Apes Hill Club website says it “will be acclaimed as one of the best par fives in the Caribbean.” The tee shot is elevated and I wasn’t impressed initially, however the approach to this green is what makes the hole memorable. The view from the fairway is of the Atlantic Ocean is worth it and the green complex is well guarded giving you a challenge for birdie.

Hole 16 is a 200 yard par 3. This hole was cut directly from the old quarry and it sits on the edge of a pond. There is a natural cave to the left of the hole that helps makes for an intimidating tee shot. When we played it the pin was cut back right of the green, right on the edge of the pond. I tried to play a high cut to the pin and failed.

jkyv11.jpg

(The championship tee is to the right of the marker in this picture.)

j931p4.jpg

(One of my favorite pictures I took on the course from inside the cave to the left of hole 16 green. Sadly this picture also shows I didn’t hit the green in regulation like I mentioned. At least I didn’t end up in the pond, right?)

Hole 17 brings the Caribbean Sea back in to view from the tee box. It is a 345 yard par 4 that visually gives you the feeling it plays short. Obviously a long hitter could run the ball up to the green with a well struck drive, so it is a risk-reward hole but you need to thread the needle to do that.

2dv9aqh.jpg

(My picture of hole 17. Clearly this Kansas boy couldn’t pull his head away from the ocean views while on the tee box.)

Finally hole 18. This is an all downhill and downwind par 4 playing 500 yards on the scorecard, but you’ll find it plays well short of the yardage. As you can see the view is nothing short of fantastic at any point of the finishing hole. There is a deep ravine on the left of the naturally plateaued green. The green has two distinct levels and you definitely want to be below the hole when putting.

2d18op5.jpg

My overall rating of this course would be an A-. There truly are only a few holes that leave you thinking that they could have done better with the design. The course has not yet built its permanent clubhouse which is why I give it an A minus. The current clubhouse is a small building that is very nice and provides all of the amenities that you need before or after a round including showers and full dining services. One of the best meals I had while on the island was at their clubhouse and the staff service is excellent. Oh and let’s not forget the view it provides as well!

qs1f6r.jpg

(The view from the clubhouse looking down on the first green just beyond the golf cart and west to the Caribbean Ocean. We were told that a sunset from the clubhouse is a must see.)

I hope that you have enjoyed my review of the Apes Hill Club in St James, Barbados. The island of Barbados has two other first class golf courses that are excellent options to include with a golf trip when it’s cold in the states and even in the summer. With year round temperatures in the mid 80s and lows in the 70s overnight, I highly recommend making a trip to the island in your near future!

Course website - www.apeshillclub.com
Ben Hatch – PGA Head Golf Professional and Club Manager

Some really good looking pictures there.

Really enjoyed the photos and comments on this one. That cave shot off 16 looks way too cool, and I am a huge fan of people grabbing panoramas of holes.

Very well done CGP!

Wow, very nice - incredible looking course!

Some of those bunkers are downright scary. Thanks for sharing!

Place looks awesome. Would love to be there

Great job on the review and nice pics some of those I could use as wallpapers on my computer. Looks like a great course.

I was not aware of this course at all! Great pictures and review, looks like an awesome place and that island has always been one that I'd like to visit at some point.

Good first post bro! Very well written.

The course looks amazing. The Fifth, Twelfth and Thirteenth especially. And that photo from under the cave is very cool. Great review!

Thank you for all the kind words. I hope to be able to post an international course review often. I have already started working on my next one!

Back