Stogs

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey guys this will be my first post on THP and I am happy to join the community.
So let me start of with myself and my game I am 13 and usually shoot right around a 84-90. I play my driver relatively straight most of the time but it will hook from time to time, when it's straight it will go around 220. But, now on to the problem, I hit it low (my driver is a taylormade superfast with 9.5*in loft), yes I realize it is most likely the loft. But any ways I feel like because I hit it low I only get120 carry and I feel like to maximize my distance that I should get a new driver, am I wrong, if I was to get a new driver should it be adjustable and I would most likely get fitted if I end up getting a new one.
I am open to suggestions
Thanks

First of all, welcome to THP! Glad that you're here. For the driver, I'm thinking get custom fit and/or get a multi-loft driver like the AMP Cell. The ZL Encore can go +/- 1* and is on sale for $250.

Last edited:
First off, welcome to THP. Glad to have you.
When you think you are hitting it low, are you also hitting it low on the club face? Or is it a good shot and it is just flying too low?

I had a similar issue and ended up with a 12* driver and a mid launch shaft. It really maximized my carry distance.

First off, welcome to THP. Glad to have you.
When you think you are hitting it low, are you also hitting it low on the club face? Or is it a good shot and it is just flying too low?

I had a similar issue and ended up with a 12* driver and a mid launch shaft. It really maximized my carry distance.

Most the time I hit it in the center and it just stays low (like 4yards of the grounds) but from time to time I will hit it on the heel.

I was doing something like that last year and now I'm working on hitting more up on the ball. Play the ball a bit more in your stance and try to feel like you're catching it on the upswing. Added yardage to my game.

High lofted driver or a fully adjustable driver live the R1, Covert or Amp cell sounds like it would suit you well.

The R1 has worked really well for me and I love being able to adjust things if my flight starts doing things I don't like. Get fitted if at all possible, though. You'll be glad you spent the time and may be really surprised at what you end up with. Welcome to THP!

First, Welcome to THP!

9.5* loft may be your problem, but you could also be using a shaft that just doesn't work for you, that can cause a very low launch too.

What shaft and flex is in your current driver?

Do you hit your other clubs lower than normal?

Welcome to the site! I would try and go through a fitting or at least hook up with a PGA Teaching Pro in your area. From the sound of things, I'd say your launch angle is off which more than likely is a result of the loft of your driver. It is so easy today to get fit and then you will have clubs spec't just for you and your swing.

First, Welcome to THP!

9.5* loft may be your problem, but you could also be using a shaft that just doesn't work for you, that can cause a very low launch too.

What shaft and flex is in your current driver?

Do you hit your other clubs lower than normal?

That was my first thought. Thinking it might either be too stiff of a shaft, or just a low launching shaft.

Follow up question. Do you hit all of your clubs low? Fairway woods?

Welcome to the club! Do you hit down on the ball with the driver? I do, so I usually have to go with a higher lofted head or a shaft that will help get the ball higher up for me. If you are a sweeper on the ball with the driver then you may not be catching it on the upswing? Maybe try moving the ball a bit up in your stance. But first you need to figure out if you are a sweeper or a driver of the ball with your swing.

At 13yr what is your driver swing speed, wondering if it could be a low swing speed issue where a 3W would give you more distance overall. Do you ever tee off with your 3W? What sort of distances there?

First off welcome to the site, shooting those types of scores is quite impressive keep up the work.

As many others have said I would go get fit for a driver. When finding a fitter I would look for some one who is experienced with people in your age group. I would contact the golf coach at you high school and see if he recommends anyone as a fitter. You may also get a chance to practice with the team and work on your game with them if you are interested in playing for the school.

I am guessing at 13 that a standard length shaft is not the best fit for you, especially the TM shafts as they typically are longer than others. Your low drives may be due to a really flat swing because the shaft is too long. The shaft could be too stiff as well which will keep you from get the best performance out of it possible for you.

Keep us updated if you get fitted.

Hey golf galaxy has the R11S drivers own sale for 199 right now. Hope that helps

Im 14 and i hit my 913D2 with a Bassara regular shaft around 230 and i have it set at 10.5 dgrees

I noticed a significantly lower launch flight when i changed my stiff regular shaft to stiff on my old driver. Now that I have the Amp Cell, I've set my loft 1 degree higher and it's been working well for me (so far).

Welcome to THP! These guys have given you some GREAT advise. Use it well.

Hey guys so my driver has a stiff shaft so do you think that's the problem?

Depends, What is your driver Swing Speed?

Wait and buy a Callaway Xhot 3Deep... Higher loft, hot face, shorter length than your driver.

I'll make a suggestion. Before going out and spending money post a video on here for the guys to analyze for you. It could be as simple as: stance, ball position, posture, etc. It could be really beneficial and save some cash.

I'll make a suggestion. Before going out and spending money post a video on here for the guys to analyze for you. It could be as simple as: stance, ball position, posture, etc. It could be really beneficial and save some cash.

This is good advice! Where is your ball placement?

I will post a video when I get home (on spring break right now) and I usually play the ball even with the inside of my right foot. (I'm a lefty)

Im 14 and i hit my 913D2 with a Bassara regular shaft around 230 and i have it set at 10.5 dgrees

Yeah, I'm 14 as well and went to a Callaway demo day today and hit the XHot around 230. However, this wasn't specc'ed for me and I probably could've gotten another 5 or so yards.

Back