Is golf too easy?

Golf is the only thing in my life that I've ever put effort into being good at and failed.

I practice way too much to be this damn bad.

its the easiest game in the world, you hit a little white ball into a hole, what's the big deal?

In all seriousness, the difficulty of the game is apparent whenever I try to bring one of my friends in that has never played before. They see the guys on TV and think its easy, and they don't believe me when I tell them that on the first day of golf, you'll be happy just to make contact with the ball, and if you get something that looks like a quality golf shot you should be ecstatic!

Sometimes it feels easy, then sometimes it seems like the hardest thing ever.

I think the reason you see all those things is because golf is hard. From the time you decide to buy some clubs to the last shot you ever make, there are so many more choices than with any other sport or game. That allows each person's personality to be reflected in their choice of equipment and style of play. There is no set way to do things that will lead to success for everybody. So you may have one person that goes out with the goal of becoming a scratch player, another who's goal is to someday hit a hole in one, another who wants to hit a 350 yard drive, another that just wants to beat his buddies, one that isn't very competitive and doesn't care much about scores and so on.

Most of us realize we will never master the game, so we simply do whatever gives us the most enjoyment, and that isn't always just getting lower scores. Sometimes the journey is better than the destination.

To me golf is the hardest sport mentally. I truly feel that there are more difficult sports to play physically but golf has the biggest mental game. In other sports you can lose because someone is better than you but in golf you can beat yourself because of a poor mental game.

Kobey you kill me. The point of the game is lower scores!

I have played team sports my whole life and golf is by the most difficult game I have ever played. It is you and the course if things go wrong which we all know will happen, it is on you and only you.

There's a lot of ways to discuss this, but I'll say that if you play within yourself, golf is a lot easier.

It's hard enough as is for me. No need to make it harder.

Dan

I have played team sports my whole life and golf is by the most difficult game I have ever played. It is you and the course if things go wrong which we all know will happen, it is on you and only you.
+1... this is exactly what I say to people that ask me "why do you like golf so much".

Golf is incredibly easy. So easy, I give myself 2nd degree burns during a round just to toughen things up a tad. I like to play a Gladiator style of golf. Great amounts of pain, but I entertain the masses.

No. Golf is hard. Sometimes, things click and you can get around a course easily, but there is always something.

My favorite: 18 handicaps playing from the tips... because "when my swing is grooved I can hit 300 down the middle."

Sounds like half the people on this and other golf forums.

There are days when golf is easy. You hit it well, make some putts and shoot close to your personal best.

Many more days, golf is hard. You feel like you can't hit anything. That sucks but, for me, provides motivation to work towards having more days when golf is easy.

Golf is not hard in my mind. I am using it as exercise and relaxation. Years ago I could not do this. Today at 62 I am satisfied with what I do playing golf. In the past year I shot 69 in the Memphis Publinx followed by an 85 the next day it wasn't hard. If you expect shots that there is no way you can execute, yes it is hard.

Definitely not too easy for me. I really enjoy the challenge.

That was my point, it seems some want to make it harder than it has to be. We can always use our head to "manage" our way around the course to accomodate the game we have that day.

I think it's much harder for people who are very competitive but also more rewarding for those people when they play really well. I know that's the case for me.

jholl2277 good attitude. Why do we as golfers expect to pull off shots we have less than 20% chance of pulling off?

golf is played on a 5" course, the space between your ears

It's not as tough as brain surgery and yes I've been there, lol, but golf is dang tough. I've played it almost all my life and still consider myself only slightly better than average.

golf is a game you cannot win,only play

I come off a session at the range where I caught the shanks and I come home to this thread.

Do you really want me to answer?

My thoughts exactly.

Hell yes golf is too easy. I only wish the pro's made more money so I could make it a career.

No, golf is not too easy. Not by a long shot. Regardless of equipment, you still have to put a good (or at least decent) swing on the ball, get it on the green, and then get it in the hole. And that's hard. Heck, give me any supermax-ultra-mega-game-improvement clubs in the world, and I will show you how to hit duck hooks, banana slices, chunks, and skulls with them. Seriously, I'll give you lessons...

Back